Barclays

Barclays Employee Reviews

Found 2,387 reviews matching the search
Good place of work where the training given and people around you really make the place great. A lot of different roles, and if you enjoy anything customer facing the branch network is a good start. The learning of all the intricate details of some financial and banking processes can be daunting, but when you’re willing to learn you get paid back with what you put in.Progression can sometimes be a little linear and moving from one area of the business to another can be difficult.
Pros
Great people, good training.
Cons
Salary at certain pay grades, lack of progression depending on placement within the company.
There aren't supposed to be targets in banking anymore, and indeed they claim there are "no targets". But believe me there are lots working as a telephone personal banker at Barclays. You are still expected to promote products on every call (they call them "conversations") if you don't have enough "conversations" you are put on a Performance Improvement Plan which gives you TARGETS to have more of these "conversations". If you don't meet these plan targets, you receive a disciplinary. There are even targets on call lengths. Don't take too long at the toilet either, your time away from the phone line for such breaks, is monitored by your manager and can be flagged. You cannot even be 2 seconds late from your lunch break. Most managers have their favourites and often don't have compassion for their staff. You are there as another number to meet targets. Very stressful and detrimental to your mental health. The parking situation wasn't good either. 5+ years waiting list for a parking pass, meaning you have to find somewhere in the area to park which was sometimes difficult and often resulted in a long walk to and from the site. Very cliquey groups too.
Pros
Not a bad salary for an unskilled job
Cons
Targets, targets, targets, stress, anxiety, depression, cliquey
It's a good company to work for as I worked there for over 32 years. The salary was very good and the atmosphere was friendly. The training was alot better than other banks that I have worked for. The staff and branches have reduced alot since I first started so I would imagine that job advancement is alot less now and so job security may not be such a long time career as when I started. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to others.
Pros
Good salary, good benefits and good training.
Cons
May be a bit repetitive now and not such a variety of jobs now.
A long standing bank career. A varied career which I enjoyed all through my banking life. Meeting a lot of life long friends along the way. The training I was given was of a very high standard for all the roles I understood during my banking career.
Pros
Profit sharing in the early days
Cons
Becoming very sales orientated
I worked at the call centre in Liverpool in the mortgage department as an agent. My primary role is to service existing mortgages for customers as well as help customers who are interested in applying for a mortgage with Barclays. The job itself is actually quite interesting as you talk to a wide variety of people from all walks of life however you are expected to keep up to date with an incredible amount of information. As mortgages are so highly regulated, staff have it drummed into them that if you were to give incorrect information to a customer by accident, there would be severe repercussions so there's a lot of pressure straight away. The training received, in my experience, was okay however because it was done over the December period, the existing staff were mainly on their holidays so getting experience on the phone lines was near impossible so you get thrown in at the deep end. The goal posts are constantly moved by management. Stats on your calls are constantly looked at - so how long you're on the phone, putting people on hold etc. They have unrealistic expectations as to how to handle calls which is held to different standards by different managers. Call centres based in other countries have closed down so our call traffic is through the roof but extra training is never given. Some staff, including myself, have been sent to work from home over the pandemic without being given the necessary equipment to make the job easier. I've only had a laptop and the headset - no desk, chair or second screen (which is definitely needed). If your internet provider is slow - more...
Pros
Friendly staff, good canteen, sick pay
Cons
Long hours, stressful, bad management, unrealistic expectations set, lack of support
I have been working at Barclays for more than 10 years. It is one of the best place to work where work-life balance is given equal importance. Barclay's has policies that help with colleague's mental health, flexibility to balance different priorities of life, and these all come with a competitive salary.
Diverse group of people and worked with some great colleagues over the years. Open door policy with management and encouragement to develop yourself and the tools to do that. Great benefits and rewards and flexibility in working patterns if needed.
Pros
Use of kitchen area for breaks to make a coffee and eat with Sky news to view, Also a restaurant and outdoor area on the roof to relax
Cons
No cons in all parts of Barclays I worked for
If you put the effort in, you are held in fair regard. Sadly the pay for the job in my band was not great when you offset the cost of travel into London. The people care and look out for each other and remain professional all the time.
Pros
Caring community
Cons
Low pay and expensive travel in some cases
From a technical, engineering & voice compliance perspective this was my ideal role because the Voice systems, networks. compliance processes & technical landscape were constantly evolving. This demanded the best of me.
Pros
Keeping abreast of evolving industry.
Cons
None come to mind.
I did 10 years at Barclays and Fin Crime/AML is probably the worst job I've ever had. 'They' (management) bang on about integrity and don't show it themselves, favouring their kids mates for jobs and bonusses. If you face doesn't fit in 'The Gang' you'll be marked. Your face wont fit if you don't brown nose, if you show initiative, if you disagree with the consensus of opinion or if you dare to break away from the crowd. Be prepared to be told you're wrong - A LOT, then when you are proved right, still being told you're wrong, and prepare for when 'The Gang' dont like you, they'll make you so stressed and depressed you'll have a breakdown and they wont care enough to even send a text - such a shame because other areas of the Bank are enjoyable.
Pros
absolutely no idea how to respond to this.
Cons
monkeys ruling the asylum
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barclays?
Great place to work, management were very helpful and wanted you to succeed and progress within the company. It was unfortunate that the contract was not extended, or I would of stayed and hopefully progress with support and willingness from management and team leaders.
All managers were clicky and very two faced. No empathy from any of them. Spent all their time laughing, giggling and talking about employees. Office atmosphere wasnt very nice.
Pros
Cons
Car parking, shifts
Barclays has a strong collaborative company culture, and the management is generally approachable: they look after their staff, but most administrative jobs are truly boring and with low or no chance of professional development. The technology is out of date and the response of the IT help desk often inadequate.
Pros
Good company culture, nice work enviroment, good employee benefits
Cons
Not great opportunities for career development, terrible IT helpdesk
There is always work to do, your expected to arrive to work 30-60mins before you start getting paid and can't leave until the branch is closed up anything upto 60mins after you stop being paid.The work is up to you if you want to improve, if you don't want to learn you dont have to there is no pressure. Progression depends on if you get along with your manager not what you know. Paid very little with the expectation of doing alot of unpaid hours.
Pros
Cons
Alot of unpaid hours, alot of work dependent upon how the team works
Good whilst there are opportunities to progress. Good training ground for personal development and gaining wide experience but a large organisation which goes through many reorganisations
Thoroughly enjoyed working for this company. I think they're fantastic and had circumstances been different, I would have made a career working for them
Sellout no one will protect you after 5 years one small mistake and you will lose job.They say its this and that but they never do anything for anyone
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Sellout mamagers
Great place to work with people that had the knowledge and experience to deliver the required results. The site made the job pleasurable. As new technology evolved professional training was available to keep upto date with it.
Pros
Working environment was exceptional
Cons
IT is a necessary evil in a financial company.
Barclays was a good experience and help[ed me kick start y career. I enjoyed the weeks experience doing many things and slowly working to do see the benefits and drawbacks of working in a bank
would totally recommend Barclay's, great company to work for and benefits and friendly people great training package and flexible working patterns their, to help you and feel comfortable
I was with Barclays for a year and while the job was not for me the care and consideration the company had for my wellbeing was amazing. All of the people I worked with are lovely and really supportive. The main issue for myself was the hours, the days were quite long and could feel draining towards the end of the work week.
Pros
Caring employer, lovely colleagues
Cons
Long hours, some not so nice customers
  1. Employee reviews