Barclays
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Barclays Employee Reviews

United Kingdom2,513 reviews

Found 2,513 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,132 reviews

Excellent Company to work fo great benefits

Good company depends on your area as to how easy or hard your day to day work is. I worked within project management in change so the workload wasn't that bad.

Great work place

Had a great experience at Barclays. The branches I worked at all had a family feel and all made me comfortable and happy to go to work. The job wasn’t to busy but can have periods of organised chaos. Normally very flexible if work from home was needed.

Pros

Great benefits, lovely staff, paid is alright

Cons

Lack of progression, upper management seem out of touch with branch network, some unsociable hours where being asked to work

A company that cares about its staff and treats you more than just a number.

Barclays lives by its values and treats colleagues with respect. The pay is good and the benefits are fantastic. There’s also great opportunities for progression. I loved working at Barclays and only left due to my office at Millshaw being closed, or I would have worked there until my retirement.

Fast paced

Busy environment, beautiful colleagues, fast paced and on it.Every over day is different, always learning something new.Your usual retail bank on the high street.

Brilliant Colleagues

Loved it, made some brilliant friends. I started straight from school and was management before i was 20 but not paid enough and older employees used to not listen and mess up on purpose. Senior management thought they were the fbi and if you don’t work hard and achieve targets they will forget about you but if you want a career and move out of branch it’s a good company. We used to all go to the pub when we were cashiers at 11 for lunch and get drunk by the time we came back 😂😂 so funny. But we were all very good at the job (barring 1 or 2) and the branch ran amazingly. Brilliant work life balance. Out most evenings after work. Best social life ive ever had, i do miss it 😢

Pros

Great progression opportunities

Cons

No paid or recognised enough on the front line

Pros and cons

You get to work with really good people and that's what keeps you in the job.You also work with people who are very political, manage upwards, disregard collaboration and create tension and unhappiness among their peers. Think of them as steam rollers. They still deliver and are looked after by senior managers. The business itself is full of red tape for various reasons. You will be a cog and you must be prepared for bureaucracy and not being able to implement meaningful changes beyond your immediate team processes.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Inefficiency and politics

Awful training

Training is non existent. You are put on the phones not even knowing how the systems work and left to it. Management don’t care and say learn as you go which is fairly impossible when you can’t work the systems in the first place! Extremely stressful.

Cons

Unhelpful management

Well organised with a great team

Feel very positive about the job. Friendly staff, all very welcoming. Training is a bit laborious but overall good experience. Lots of variation and the chance to make it what you will, career wise.

Sorry to be leaving

Really good environment Great flexibility Great roleOpportunities are goodShame our office closedMade redundant or would not have leftEncouraging managers Understanding teamGood relationship building

Terrible

Just another bum on a chair shifts are terrible and you just have to sell to customers. Desks are dirty and you get watched going to the toilet if your to long they moan

Not a fun place to work.

Having worked at other banks, Barclays stands out as it’s culture is massively different and not in a good way! It’s who you know, and if you’re liked or not. The interview is on competency questions, however, these can be fixed to suit the hiring manager. Sometimes it is discussed with others if they want you on that position or not. It is difficult to get an interview and outside applicants are looked at more favourably than internal. You can negotiate your pay, if you are external. You cannot if internal and the difference is a few thousand! So it isn’t as though it’s £50 or £100!

Pros

Can’t think of any.

Cons

Cliques. Bully culture. Support not given when required yet they advertise they are a caring bank.

Always learning but hard

I found it quite stressful but there's so much support available from peers if you need it, they are super flexible with any support plans etc if you're struggling with certain aspects and I always felt the culture was super friendly. The workload feels constant and they are always monitoring your calls etc so there is a lot of pressure most of the time. Hardest part of the job was tricky customers but thats to be expected, the training was really fun and informative.

Pros

Flexible with break times

Cons

Stressful

Good reliable employer.

Overall an excellent employer with many benefits.Great colleagues and some very happy times.Many changes over the years. Training was, in general,very good.

Good

It's gives you room to develop. I will say working at the company gave me self esteem and interest in developing my skills

There support from the managers, appraisal are done regularly to discuss ones issue and incentive are given when one meets their target and develop

Good salary and benefits.

Good salary and benefits. Could be a bit stressful due to receiving calls constantly and sometimes customers are unhappy. The are are targets regarding call handling, if there is an area that needs improvement this is discussed when meeting with team manager and goals are set up. Have not had issues with managers , whenever i needed support i have been able to ask and have received.

Pros

Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Can be a bit stressful due to constant calls and sometimes unhappy customers .

Great

Good to work for, salary cound be increased as cost of living is high. Support is also there but progress in job not as much, great benefits and the free coffee etc is a godsend

Amazing Employer

If you put in 100% effort you will get 110% back from Barclays.I have been with the business 12 years and I’ve enjoyed my career. I’ve had the opportunity to progress and always given the right support and training.The benefits are great perks and the ‘work/life balance’ is fantastic!

Pros

Medical health cover, share save schemes

Good place to work and learn

Love the work culture and work life balance ... good benefits and good opportunities to learn alot and progress in your career and increase your knowledge

Depressing and stressful

The job is awful there is no support, they don’t care about the staff. There is no time to complete your work, the work load is to much. The customers are rude and then there is no support when you feel down

Branch network feels like a sinking ship!

I have worked for Barclays for 14 years and always loved my job and been a huge advocate for the company. Unfortunately the branch network has changed dramatically since the pandemic. We have been made to take on telephony roles, and this is prioritized over face to face service. The branch feels unsafe, with one or two staff members present and overwhelmed with frustrated customers. The customers also face long waits when calling Barclays, resulting in further frustration. I feel unable to provide a good service, and and very under valued. Performance is heavily targeted although we don't call it that. Staff morale is at an all time low and I am now looking to leave the company. Such a shame as Barclays has alway been amazing, pay and benefits are still excellent.

Great benefits, back to back calls, negative experience overall

I Worked at Barclays for just under 7 years The benefits were great in terms of private healthcare, sick pay, buy/sell holidays, to name a few. It is not what you know but who you know, you have to be on really good terms with managers to progress anywhere. Some managers are lovely others think they’re above it. The calls with customers are back to back, which can be stressful as your stats are taken into account, and the time you’re on the call, etc. Some people are rude but that’s just customer service for you. Expect to be covering a broad range of queries, which may be considered too much - are you really going to know everything about anything?Overall, I think Barclays is a good company to work for in terms of the pay for similar roles elsewhere and the benefits/incentives that are in place but I would not work in a contact centre again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barclays. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement