Barclays

United Kingdom2,538 reviews

Found 2,538 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,173 reviews
bankrolebankingcolleagueprogressionquerytargetbranch

Relaxed working environment

Barclays is a good place to work if you have no desire to move beyond a certain level.Under investment in product and infrastructure puts excessive strain on front line staff.

Stressful and difficult at times

Comprehensive training was provided but it didn't much prepare you for the reality of the job. Working in the mortgages collections department meant dealing with customers in very difficult situations, some who were on the verge of losing their home. Dealing with difficult queries and making plans was tough, and once you've passed the accreditation stage there isn't much support when you're thrown into it. Good pay and a kind, caring manager. Just difficult overall and fast paced.

Insights into Barclays

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

great place to work

very structured work, big company, fair pay, the only thing that can it down is micro management by under qualified leaders however this is a minority.

Culture depends on the department

Can be a great place to work. Money is great for certain roles and terrible for others. Managers can make your job amazing or horrible. Great job security

Great place

The team was extremely nice and supporting to new employees. The training was thorough and detailed which meant that by the time you actually start, there was no stress and everything was covered and help was always available. The work culture was very nice.

Pros

Good training, nice colleagues, good pay

Cons

Not flexible

Soul Destroying

Work for Premier what was once an amazing elite department Now theres management changes that are all clciky who work on the other side with each other for years and dont like how the department is been run an making loads of changes bad one's Turn over of staff is ridiculous as everyone wants out whos left is off sick with stressOther departments are closed weekends and bank holidays we work all bank holidays unless you book them off 18 months in advance and work weekends as well If you have worked in a circus before and are good at plate spinning you will suceed in this job. As Premier are expected to do EVERYTHING and deal with other departments queries that we are barely trained on for the same pay. With the attitude of why bark yourself when you have a dog. They dont careThey always mess up never get anything right sends out letters text messages that shouldn't have been sent or worded incorrectly so that just means call drivers for us , constantly busy you just feel burnt out after your shift and get that dreaded feeling when on days off ugh back in work tomorrow The systems always go down or dead slow customers speak to you like dirt theres no support just get on with it attitude, the processes are backwardsThey preach about Barclays ways and Barclay's values but everyone is afraid to speak up because you will be walking round with a target ok your backAll good staff leaving all good managers leaving the ones that are left are all snitches and grassesYouve to try sell all sorts on the calls tick loads of boxes on a call and you get pulled if your not -

Nice environment and surroundings

Great location to work. Plenty of shops and restaurants. Amazing views. Nice professional people to communicate with. Canary wharf Station is five minutes away.

Pros

Free uniform parking

Cons

12 hrs shifts

Growth and development

overall, it was a joy to be a part of the Barclays group. We had monthly reviews that help us attain our short and long term goals. Managers were always adding me more responsibility to help me grow and learn new things, taking me out of my comfort zone

Pros

subsidized lunch and a great work environment with parking. Flexible working was a big plus

Cons

The salary was not enough to live on

Processing and customer service centre.

Worked processing and clearing cheques, unpaid fees and letters to customers, fraud checks.Management supportive and opportunity to work in other areas and progress.

Tiring and frustrating

Been here for a few years and in a few different departments but each time it's the same scenario:Patriarchal management structure and silo mentality at the lower levels in the hierarchy.Unrealistic targets, poor processes, inadequate and disjointed systems.The company has built a lovely new site in Glasgow though lol

Work

Okay place to work, calls are non stop very fast paced, no place for progression unless you’re in the know, salary is good but manager understanding and support is minimal.

Great if you never get sick

Stay away. Managers don't care if you are sick. No support for stressful calls. Customers scream at you all day and you are in trouble for being one second late back from your break. Do yourself a favour and work elsewhere.

Pros

Canteen

Cons

Poor management

Brilliant place to work

Thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Management were friendly and helpful. Very understanding with personal circumstances. Brilliant bonus scheme for perm employees.

Interesting

Not bad but can be stressful at times especially on a Saturday. Some managers are friendly and some downright rude. Breaks are fair as you get 1 hour which is paid as well.

Good but not like it used to be. Used to be a company for a long term career but now more focused on moving work to India

Accommodate Hybrid workingOffer qualifications with on the job learningFeel more like a number nowOn the job training given for most rolesLots of different roles once in over several different locationsSupport ideas and the opportunity to get involved in projects and automation

Pros

Hybrid working

Cons

Not like the old days

Hard to progress

Lots of nepotism. Often prefer to hire external than promote current employees who have proven themselves. Some staff get a lot more holiday than others.

Cons

Hard to progress.

Stressful

Very misleading and everyone do not know where you should be working and what you should do, so no training protocols are done as you start there. You just have to find your way yourselves. Ask many questions but will not get back to you as sooner as you think. If you through agency then definitely you won’t get any answers !!!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Not organised

Inclusive and supportive

It's been 10 years and I still love my employer! They have always supported, encouraged and accommodated any of mine or fellow employees needs ! Constant training in person and online is available and lots of opportunities to progress.

Good training

Worked at Barclays for just under a year. The training was fantastic and I quickly found my feet but difficulties with one of the managers forced my hand to leave. I probably would of stayed there if things were different as I really enjoyed my job.

What to say

Having worked for the company for a long time, things got quite difficult towards the end of my tenure with the company. Whilst line managers were generally supportive, anyone above that level had no interest in helping people. Such a shame, the staff care but aren't cared about. Whilst I wouldn't advise against working for Barclays, there are worse places, I wouldn't advise some one to work there

Good benefits, good opportunities

Work/life balance was good and there were opportunities to develop if you wanted it. Great staff benefits. A lot of work was done on the values. Can be stressful.

Pros

Good benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Culture at the top needs some work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barclays. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Barclays with

Learn about Barclays in popular locations

• Barclays