Barnardo's logo

Barnardo's Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Found 1,359 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,410 reviews

Good for work experience

I volunteer in store every Saturday. Typical tasks include restocking shelves, sorting through clothes, working the tills and talking to customers. I enjoy volunteering here because my team are really approachable and friendly, both paid workers and volunteers are treated equally. If you’re thinking of volunteering here for some type of work experience, or just to help out, you definitely should.

Pros

20% off everything in store, even volunteers.

Cons

Tasks can be repetitive which some may find boring

i didnt get payed

i was only a volunteer lol! i cant really speak for how it actually is for people who work or get payed but i know that it was a good environment and it was good

Pros

nice time

Cons

no pay

Not a nice place

People are not supported, too many horrible people being horrible to each other. There is not a good culture, god help you if you make a mistake, the regional manager loves sacking people. Complete power trip. Save yourself any stress and do not go near Barnardo’s shops in Scotland. Being asked to do work stuff when I’m on furlough but they stopped my bonus. Joke.

Pros

My own team

Cons

Peers and senior staff

Excelent service

I worked for a short time at Barnardos but my time there was my best experience ever. I would recommend friends to work at Barnardos. I would feel special to get a opportunity to work with Barnardos again.

I took on extra work.. not recognised

I worked here for a few years... I had to leave for personal reasons..I did go back on " as and when "..I was very good at dealing with a particular aspect of the business that was supposed to be done by others but they found it complex... I was offered a contract by the then Manager which never did materialise!!.. so I did feel very upset about that..and left.. Loved working with the youngsters. Built up great bonds.. Most of the staff are lovely. . I still miss working there at Preston.Lawson Steeet.

Cons

I did a lot of extra work from home

Very rewarding

Amazing team, child focused and welcoming to new started. Staff all care for each other, value the importance of been a team. Lots of fantastic training.

Pros

Trauma informed very good for mental health and well-being.

Feels like one big family and the young people are at the centre of Eve we do and Onslow is a fun place to work

The staff team are amazing and the support from both my team and management is second to none , the kids are treated with care and respect staff go the extra mile for the young peopleLove working in Barnardos

Pros

Having a supportive team and management

Cons

Can at times be long hours when doing a sleepover

Awful culture of bullying amongst store managers

Don't work here as a store associate unless you enjoy being taken advantage of. Same responsibilities aa a manager but a lot less pay. Be prepared to do all the rubbish shifts that your manager doesn't want to do.

Pros

Cheap clothes

Cons

Long hours, back stabbing

Would not work here

My experience at Barnardos was not a good one. I got told at interview there would be proper and thorough training and I would be shadowing someone for at least four weeks. This did not happen. I was sent to one shop for training which was very intermittent and felt I was only sent there as they were short staffed. I did not learn a lot at all then was put into my shop and expected to cover and remember everything completely on my own. I was working on average 3 hours extra every day without pay as you are only paid for 7 hours. I had family commitments and took the job on the strength of what I was told at interview and my contract. When I said I really can’t do these exceptionally long days, I was told, this is a charity and the charity will suffer if you don’t commit. You are made to feel guilty and expected to do tasks that are unachievable in a day and then get get questioned even though you have done so many other tasks and not even taken a lunch a break. I would not recommend especially if you have a family and cannot do long days and lots of extra hours without pay.

Pros

My other work colleague was lovely and fun to be with

Cons

Long hours, unacceptable targets and lots of extra hours unpaid

stay away

Anyone looking for a job move on it's one of the worst charities out, the training is nonexistent. You can't say anything as they're all in it together and it's your word over someone else. If your not being trained then its smoothed over and no one seems to care. It's a charity in the disguise of mainstream retail, you get an hour's unpaid lunch break but you can't take it, and you're expected to work while eating lunch that's if there is anywhere to eat lunch. My advice is to look at the reviews before going for a job with this charity or any others as they're all the same. I was treated really badly and to be honest, felt like a paid volunteer, I was supposed to have had two weeks of training in two different stores which I didn't get as the two managers were far too busy to train me.

Pros

Cons

non-existent training, an hour unpaid lunch break which you can't take, to many to mention

Jobs at Barnardo's

See more jobs

No support, culture of intimidation and useless management

Manager treated me with passive-aggressiveness, borderline abusive texts in and out of work, bullying, and contributed to an uncomfortable work environment. Constant corporatisation of what should be a charitable effort? Pushed for targets to sell overpriced rubbish from the out of touch New Goods team. Training for the basics was all but comprehensive. Expected to take abuse off colleagues who are aware of pre-existing conditions through "Wellbeing Action Plans" that meant nothing, as there were never any changes in attitudes, behaviours or meaningful adjustments to accommodate any condition you have.Near constant gaslighting, double standards, and being put in overly-stressful situations where I was expected to do a million and one things with little-to-no help, in stores across the region. Manager admitted she only took the job as her position as a Store Associate had been taken away by the company, after her own experiences with abusive managers which never got properly resolved. You would not be mistaken in getting the feeling that these managers have NO soft skills, NO idea how to manage and lead a team, and NO idea how to treat those younger than them who are looking for support and guidance. Her training as a manager failed her, my team of volunteers, me, and anyone who could possibly come into contact with her in the workplace. This is a truly thankless job filled with lazy, incompetent managers. if you are under 25 you will receive no respect or support. Area Manager admitted that this position is NOT for store associate, but rather an assistant store manager and -

Pros

Feeling that there's a 0.0001% chance that you're making a difference for those in need, amazing team of volunteers

Cons

Thankless job, abusive, bullying management, felt more like a business than a charity, no respect for younger employees and VERY palpable disconnect between top and bottom of organisation

Nice People

The people I worked with were amazing, I did a business apprenticeship with them, they were very friendly and supportive and made sure that after I left I was able to find work and made sure I was okay. There were a few issues with the job, but nothing I can even really think of, and so they weren't bad bad. I'd definitely recommend working there.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Poor pay (I was on an apprenticeship though!)

Relaxed, nice

A nice place to get work experience when you're young. Also gread because it helps towards a good cause too. Management is very chill, colleagues are nice. You also get free biscuits and cups of tea.

Pros

Good work experience. Relaxing atmosphere

Cons

Days can go by slowly a bit

Excellent environment, Friendly people who are willing to meet new people

Very good experience, I have gained more knowledge on how to communicate with all different ages groups, ethnicity and what ever cultures they might be. I will recommend someone to work with Barbados, my supervisor is a very kind individual who care for other as for self.

Pros

Own lunches

Cons

It depends, but always comfortable regardless the hours.

All negative opinions are ignored!

Brilliant colleagues and the job itself can be worthwhile. No support from upper management, and outright bullying from some managers. The only way these things are dealt with is to ignore them, then the staff members eventually leave.

Pros

People you support, colleagues, some managers excellent

Cons

Bullying, no communication, upper management pay no attention to staff wellfare

Awful place to work. I was there 9 months and in that time 9 people left!

Most of this job is training. Sessions are cancelled on a whim and the working conditions are strict. There is no empathy and the work team are not a team.

Great place for volunteering.

Barnardo's is a safe environment for people who are looking into a job at some point in there life. Volunteering at Barnardos is good way to gain confidence and flexibility as work your way around and gain trust with the public.

Pros

Great way too start volunteering if looking for a part-time job afterwards.

Cons

Minimal security, the shop is quiet small with only a hand full of staff.

Great Place to Work

I worked with Barnardo's a while ago now but, often fondly reflect how good it was to work with such caring and considerate Team. The work day would usually be busy but, the work was varied, which meant most days were different and that is something I enjoy. Would highly recommend working with this charity.

Pros

Great Team

Cons

cant really think of any

Thankless job, always expected to do more.

I worked here as sales associate for four years, I was expected to do all managers jobs, ie train volunteers, keep health and safety records up to date etc. This I didn't mind, but when applying for any managers jobs 'never had enough experience'. You're expected to change days off at a moments notice and even cancel holiday dates. After shop closes you then cash up and have to take money to local post office (don't get paid extra for this). Never get a break for lunch, have to grab quick bites in between serving customers. Everything is targets and budgets, you have to hit a figure each week, if you do, it goes up the following year!. Only good thing was the volunteers, some good friends were made with my time there. Nothing was confidential, all shops knew about other shop staff personal problems! My manager always gossiped about everyone, not professional at all.

Pros

Volunteers

Cons

Expect to work extra for no extra money or thanks

avoid, avoid

Be prepared to work long hours, heavy lifting involved. Managers cover each other so if you have a problem then you have no one to go to. If you want to have holidays it's always a problem. Very often you will need to work on your own and if there are no volunteers then you have a problem as you may not be able to have your lunch break.The company expects you to work over your breaks and you never finish on time - meaning you work an extra 2 hours sometimes without being paid!Definitely the most corporate charity which is not humanitarian!

Pros

some nice volunteers

Cons

They pay is awful for the amount of work

Good environment

I volunteered at Barbados for a short while. When I was there I learnt new skills. The members of staff and other volunteers were warm and welcoming they made me feel part of a team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnardo's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement