Barnet Council

Barnet Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews

workworkingteamhourjobcouncilplacebarnet

Stepping stone

If you’re looking for a career change within the housing sector Barnet council is ideal and can be used for progression elsewhere. However it’s not somewhere I’d recommend working for a long period of time. Overall standard management support but could be better.

Pros

Diverse

Cons

Poor pay for agency staff

If your face fits you’llBe ok

When I first started working there the first few weeks went really well. I was being taught a new job with patience and felt valued. Then a new person joined the team who was younger and quicker to ‘get’ things and then everything changed. Being tutted at and talked about behind my back

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Very clicky

Insights into Barnet Council

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Not the best experience

Stressful, high workload, robotic, competitive, rude, jealousy, not good energy, gossippy, unsupportive, unprofessional management, vindictive, untrustworthy, trust no one

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Stressful

Bullying culture

Worst Council I've ever worked at. The senior managers and above have their little clique and you will not ge made welcome. They bully staff and laugh about it. When you question behaviour you are told that's how it is. The managers tell each other everything you raise and will openly laugh about it with each other in the office. Save yourself the stress get a proper job

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Everything else

Productive and caring workplace

Wonderful place to work, like a family , however, the pace is fast and nobody really has time to check in with new staff unless they pass each other. Amazingly professional staff even in the staff room where one would expect more letting off steam. Possibly because they are able to keep up with the pace.

Pros

Caring and helpful when you can pin them down to tell them you need help.

Cons

No holiday pay.

Fun workplace

I enjoyed my time at barnet albeit it coincided with the covid 19 pandemic, lockdown and financial rationalisations that directly affected my contract adversley

Pros

Work from home allowed

Cons

Long hours and travel

Good working place

A bit fast paced job and early finishing and chances to get promotions on the site .trainning on the site and ppe available. What more do you want me to say?

Good

Hi It was good working barnet councle . Good experince Left the reason for new changes . I did work with great people too I dont mind working again . Thank you

Rife with micromanagement

Not a very positive and uplifting atmosphere. Very dull repetitive work, being scrutinised like a hawk and micromanaged from the management team, if you take a 10 mins and use that time constructively to read any academic sources if pursuing a qualification outside of work in between phone calls becomes a problem, can't talk to colleagues in peace management likes to eaves drop and call out the scapegoat to instigation meetings. Looking for scapegoats to project their incompetencies on.

Very good

Worked there for 20years enjoyed every minute ,great workmates. Descant management . just a pity with councils local government officials are using them for there own means .

Productive and Challenging

*Telephone Client to Make Appointment/Site visit *To Design on CAD(Computer Aided Design) *Fairly Laps *Unfriendly And not Inclusive *Heavy Work Load and not enough Support *To See the Delight on the Clients face after completion of work.

good place to work

it was a gd place's to work money was OK a few times there was a mess up's with pay on weekends but that was about it and if you needed ppe didn't all ways get it

working at Barnet Council

Barnet Council planning department are a great team to work with. I have learnt about planning laws and my administrations skills have grown. The hardest part about working in the planning department is learning all the laws for different types of planning.

not bad

a good place to work and I learnt a lot of new transferable skills working alongside other tradesmen including electricians plumbers and plasterers I was responsible for any bricklaying and repairs to excisting brickwork

I had a bully manager

I had the worst experience out of many a job here. The manager I had was a bully and let her 'pets' work from home and no one else. She also was patronising and loved to micro-manage. She would come in every morning to see what what you were doing that day. No freedom or trust just to get the job done. I became fed up of the culture, micromanagement, duality, and lack of prospects for advancement and quit, even though they begged me to stay.

Pros

Cons

Bullying, narcissistic managers, no career progression, no job security

What I Learnt

In Barnet Council, I learnt how process Planning Applications, and also to do end of day banking. My day at work was very busy, always something to get on with. I made new friends, and worked well as a team.

Pros

Nice Lunches

Cons

Flexible hours

Used to be a great place

Over the years with budget cuts, Barnet Council have slashed the employees in order to reduce spending. This has resulted in low morale and a loss of skilled labour.

productive

My duties at barent council as a refuse loader was up .early mornings for "task and complete" where would would have 8 hours to complete are "round" / scheduled work, normally walking 10-15 miles a day jumping in and out the lorry..Loading in all differant types of weather, elevating quick i notice alternative ways to alter the round by starting in differant areas which would make us work more efficient (e.g) Against traffic avoid working up hills. Normally making us finish before schedulled time. At my time here i enjoyed working, i gained alot of knowledge of the borough of barnet & i have attened and completed the following courses: Reveresing assistance , Manual handling.

Pros

early finshes

Cons

too much walking

Na

During my time in my role I supported colleagues and those children with SEN needs without recognition in my salary or job title. Once I had made a decision to look for another job having found out my colleague in the same role with the same job title working similar hour, was taking home more than me. I found that my experience and qualification was not valued until I found another job when I was then offered job offers

No long term prospects

Most of the work is outsourced to contractors who come and go. Very short termist thinking and approach to problem solving. A lot of temp staff. Seems more and more of the jobs are going temp to give the council more flexibility on budgets, instead of employing permanent staff like they used to.

Pros

Good work-life balance

Cons

Bad management and no career progression or training

Enjoy

Very good working conditions. Staff were great, typical local authority in London with the same goals to meet duringh austerity. I manged a mul;ti discipline workforce in excess of 100 staff.

Pros

Perks

Cons

Red Tape

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnet Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement