Barnsley College

Barnsley College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom67 reviews

collegestudentstaffsupportfriendlyskilllearnlong

College

Good place to learn recommend to anyone willing and wanting to learn new skills and experiences.Staff are very friendly and helpful/supportive to students.

Good amount of holiday days, low salary

Poor salary compared to other companies in Barnsley, and other colleges. Ok amount of holiday days, but they don’t make up for the lower salary. Work life balance is average. Often stressful, with staff shortages that aren’t addressed. Development week was good, and often had lots of training opportunities.

Pros

Holiday days

Cons

Expected to work long hours without pay

Insights into Barnsley College

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Not a good place to work

Management very unsupportive. Teachers teaching subjects they don't know. No proper induction. Very high turn over of staff, particularly in certain depts such as childcare, education and health. Toxic work environment. Only plus is there are some lovely teachers who stay why i don't know.

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Toxic management

Fun

Supportive staff and fun place to work Many opportunities to interact with other teams around the college Days can be slow dependent on workload and time of year

Pros

Interesting

Cons

Low pay

Not interested

If your on a zero hour contract and your face doesn’t fit or you say something they don’t like, they push you out. I would definitely not recommend work here

Pros

Non

Cons

No parking

Think twice

A very negative place to work, management not in touch with the employees. No support given. Higher management not involved with the everyday goings on. Intimidating

Pros

Cons

Look elsewhere

Short staffed and wanted rid of experienced contract staff

After 6 years as a contracting Assessor/Trainer at Barnsley new management decided they wanted rid of all contract staff, I was given 2 days notice that my contract was not being renewed.Shocking treatment after the work I had put into the college and employers.The college has always suffered from a large staff turnover due mainly to poor pay.

Pros

Cons

Over worked and poor compensation, huge turnover of staff.

Lovely

College wasn’t a job it was a qualification, in enjoyed this course as it was something I enjoyed and still do to this day, and they are helpful when it comes to

I don't recommend

Where to start. You will need to teach large classes and multiple classes at same time at different levels in both practical and classroom. Lack of resources to teach with due to budget cuts. No support from management unless you are a smoker/ drinker. Plus point is there is some good people that work there. Student are great to work with.

Rubbish management

Not honest too much politics. Covering back issues that have not been done. Asked to sign work of tutor who was not a qualified assessor Risk assessments. Double standards for different staff

Fun

Always doing something different and fast paced environment.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

Unable to complete necessary training

Learning Support Worker

Without doubt the worst employer I have ever worked for. Students and other staff were wonderful but the management were clueless. The Head of Department created an environment of paranoia for the staff. My friend was fired after working there for a long time (more than 8 years) on a whim; she appealed this and won and was the forced out by management. Staff pressured into working overtime and paying for courses which should be provided by the college. Do not attempt to provide input to this management set up even if requested- it will result in you being marked and ultimate losing your job. Only work here if you are desperate and looking for a short term fix. Be very aware from the beginning how ‘clicky’ Some staff relationships are. and above all else give the Foundation Learning department a wide birth; students are great pity about everything else.

Pros

Kids

Cons

Don't look after their staff.

Working with the students is great but the management doesn't care about their staff. The emphasis on statistics and economics means that the best teachers and most conscientious support staff are let go if the student performance statistics aren't what they should be. Students are sadly missing out on great tuition because Barnsley College would rather employ inexperienced and cheaper tutors on zero-hour contracts.

Pros

Students are great

Cons

Poor management

stressfull,grinds you down,all staff moan about thier jobs and managers

worked for BC ten years was forced to teach classes when employed as support worker with no extra help or pay.No interest in student welfare as long as they are passing exams and college can collect money,Principle and senior managers are up their own ares and dont live in the real world.

Pros

holidays, job security

Cons

forced to sit exams for students so college can claim money, stess, lack of proffesionalism

A workng day

College starts at 8.30am. I usually start at 7 o 7.30 am. I wold check all of the emails that may have come in over night. I will then discuss my day with the dept leader. I start teaching at 9 am till 12.15. The class will be taught what ever they are covering at that time. All the while I need to keep my emails open to deal with any issues that may arise during the morning period. I may be visited by my manager who may require extra reports or to deal with an issue in person as well as complete the classes (2) in the morning. Lunch is one hour, (rarely taken away from desk). The afternoon starts teaching at 1.15pm, and works in the same pattern as outlined above. However this is also the time that I am expected to complete my admin, any marking, further issues and prep for the next day. I finish teaching 2 more sessions at 4.30pm and return to my staffroom desk, where I am expected to work till 5pm on my [prep, any other reports or admin. I rarely leave much before 5.30pm and take home the rest of the days admin and prep for the next day. I generally complete my work by around 8 or 9pm.

Pros

weekends off if you are lucky

Cons

no time for prep or admin during working hours. Very little in terms of Work, life balance

Amazing experience

Working on computers with colleagues using apps like spreadsheets, excel for data base. Planning and setting up events in college, getting to meet the guest speakers. A lot of computer based work sitting down can be quite tiring. Great people to work with, friendly and homely atmosphere would definitely recommend.

enyable

working with different students and lots of different subjects, very interesting pupils great management very supportive, moving to different departments.

good place to work

The people are great to work with and really fun, the job im currently in however is not suited to me and I'm not enjoying it. That however is a personal issue rather than something to do with the company.

Pros

great laugh and benefits

Cons

long hours spent sat at a desk staring at a computer screen.

Enjoyable experience

My experience at Barnsley College has been fun because I’ve met new people and I enjoy making new friends. I also like my lessons as they’re fun and enjoyable.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Not enough healthy snacks

good workplace

Good place to work and study, I did a apprenticeship for a year which helped me gain the skills I have today. The department I worked for was a good department to work for

Friendly place to work

People are very friendly and helpful. I learned a lot from them and their experience. I could definitely recommend Barnsley College as a place of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnsley College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Barnsley College with

Barnsley College reviews by location

Learn about Barnsley College in popular locations

• Barnsley College
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?