Barratt Developments

United Kingdom115 reviews

sitebuildingteamsaledepartmentofficetraininglife

Excellent environment

Featured review

Barratt Developments selected this as a representative review
Fast paced environment with lots of rewards. Amazing place to work friendly atmosphere and very approachable management team Very supportive environment

Pros

Employee benefits

Toxic culture and overworked. Profit more important than people

Profit and money is the only priority depsite the CEOs advertising the customer and their experience is number one. Management fudge defect figures to make the department look better than they are, meaning more staff not hired as we were 'over staffed' for number of issues on record. Miserable and toxic environment, unwelcoming and barely any training or support. Site managers and contractors cut corners to increase profit leaving massive issues for customer care to try and fix. Site managers and contractors will blame everyone else instead of taking responsibility and fixing their problems. There were a few really good people which made it bearable but the overall stress, toxic culture led to burn out. Impossible to keep on top of work with the archaic system and number of faults being reported, even working 2-3 hours outside if normal working (with zero compensation).Avoid working there and also avoid ever buying a Barratt Home! They're thrown up and poor quality.

Insights into Barratt Developments

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Not a good company to work for and should choose management more carefully

The attitude of the management is disgusting and I have been treated unfair in all aspects of the job at the time of working on a site I had a bereavement of a family member and it was not handled in the appropriate manner

Cons

Poor management who only think of themselves

Toxic

Blame culture, high pressure, no support. Targets promote cutting corners and value engineering to the point of being ashamed to work for the company.

Pros

Well paid

Cons

Existential crisis

Just a work place nothing special

Just a work place nothing special about this company at least in my caseLots of promises coming through site managers mouth whom are not in position of “making it happen”

Awful culture poor leadership in some functions

I would not recommend Barratt Developments as an employer. The culture is not positive, they overlook poor behaviour if leaders feel the person is a good performer The leadership in HR is weak and untrustworthy. They are ineffective and poor people managers. The company say that diversity and inclusion matters to them but this is far from the truth in terms of how they behave. The culture is not inclusive, they don’t really care about how they treat employees or the impact they have. They will expect you to work on days off and treat you negatively if you are part time. Communication and team working is poor. For most, the work load and expectations are unrealistic overwhelming and work life balance will be severely impacted but there is no respite or understanding In some places despite the last two years with office teams working at home, flexible or hybrid working is not absolutely welcomed and in some places leaders demand that you attend the office when there is no need. Some of the senior leaders are bullies and this is known and understood but continuously overlooked if the person is deemed to run the region successfully from a financial perspective

Decent but better places out there

Well i enjoyed the first few months but it started changing when new management took over and it soon turned into a bit of a joke tbh. They drug test all the people they dont like repeatedly and the ones they favour get away with murder. Shame because there are some decent people there but the management are up their own ar**

Exciting work

I personally loved working at Barratts play hard work hard get paid that’s your day great colleaguesYou need to use your own initiative and you cannot be lazy you almost have to be a fault in everything you do.

Good place to work but overworked.

There is a huge amount of work spread between limited team members and management can be a bit relaxed in their approach to raise issues with individuals.

A good Job but other colleagues often created a strange enviroment with politics.

If you like keeping active and being outdoors this is a great Job. However, the enviroment was often very political and I felt there was no trust between employees.

Pros

Extra work hours if you want

Cons

Politics within the company

No management, all people of hierarchy in my department considered looking for other jobs, head of dept left. No one to ask questions, no training. Worst company I’ve worked for, to the point I quit my job without having any where else to go it was that bad. All staff are rude and unprofessional/unapproachable. Talk whack about their “valued customers” and staff. It’s all fake. More stress than time worth spent here.

Pros

Non

Cons

No training, stress inducing, no work life balance, colleagues are toxic(management) not a place to be if you want to be happy.

Excellent workplace

Excellent workplace for an apprentice , excellent Training and development , scope for promotion if the regional office is taking on at the time , an in-depth view into the construction industry whilst also gaining personal skills .

Pros

Shares, salary, bonus, days out

Cons

Made to work weekends even though it may be quite, all for the sake of money. No work life balance. Pressured into pressuring customers to purchase.

Stressful job, meetings everyday about targets. It gets exhausting. Management are out of touch and don’t live in the real world. Expected to do a lot for very little pay.

Pros

Cons

Poor commission Poor basic

Take their pound of flesh

Way overworked and under paid for the work you do. Under valued and over looked for promotion. You definitely need to become part of the inner clique in order to advance and your skills are constantly over looked in favour of someone deemed more fitting, or of the opposite gender. Definitely felt held back because of being a woman with a young baby

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Long hours, salary and benefits

cog in a machine

You do your job but little thanks and just part of a big machine where your efforts don't really matter to overall position as it is too massive. Work life depends mostly on you dept. Manager-there is no one else interested. This makes it a despotic regime.

Pros

some free booze at Xmas

Cons

9-5 at desk culture-really dated outlook

No organisation and poor communication

Awfully run company by people who only care about themselves. There are plenty of other house builders you should consider working for before barratt homes

Pros

Non

Cons

Good place to work friendly people good benefits. Enjoyed my time working here. The halesowen office is very friendly and clean and tidy. Dress down friday to is good

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Managers often hard to track down

Fantastic Company

If you get a chance to work for BDW Kent then go for it you will not be disappointed. I was not and wished I had not left but I needed more in my role which was not possible at the time.My hunger and drive got the better of me and I wished I had not left.

Pros

Friendly, fair modern & positive

Cons

Good location, fun team building days etc

Great company to work for

Great company to work for fast paced but loved the people there. A great experience and if you you have what it takes they will support you all the way.

Enjoyable

I completed my carpentry apprenticeship with Barratt homes and was welcomed into the team very well. I worked along side sub contractors on site and along side Barratt managers in the office. Everyone helped me.

Pros

Helpful staff and apprenticeship leader

Barratt

Excellent company to join straight out of college. Fast learning curve. Give you the opportunity to become multi disciplined through frequent role changes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barratt Developments. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement