Barry Bennett Ltd

Working at Barry Bennett Ltd: 19 Barry Bennett Ltd Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Challenging , interesting and varied role

I love this job but the downsides are the lack of financial security because you never know how much work you will have from week to week, the up sides are the buzz you get when a student gives you positive feedback that you have made a difference and supported them to develop . You are in charge of your own time and plan the sessions to suit yourself but this is a zero hours job with SSP so it’s like being self employed really. You are left to get on with things yourself which is great for me but may not suit less experienced people

Specialist MH Mentor

A progressive forward thinking company who place students at the heart of their work. Mentors are paid directly by the company on PAYE per month for each attended session, unlike the majority of DSA/mentor companies who subcontract staff on a self employed basis. Students are attached to mentors who can provide the required skills and experience to fit the students individual DSA statement. Staff are always on hand to progress enquiries and safeguarding concerns to the university if necessary. A well run company who look after their staff. Recommended as an employer.

Insights into Barry Bennett Ltd

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Very rewarding place to work :)

No two days are the same. Support staff work to help adults at university with a range of practical and pastoral support needs. I have learned a lot about supporting people with additional needs and the role was very rewarding.Management are understanding and flexible around other commitments.

Excellent job and company to work for

My time at Barry Bennett was great, I loved the job, I felt like I was making a difference. The company seem fairly relaxed and the wage is fair for the job role and duties. Would recommend.

Good for lone / flexible working

A decent company to work for, usually get back to you the next day for email queries. No pay rise in 4 years and no CPD which means the worker has to pay £400+ every year to maintain professional membership and continue to practice.

really good place to work

couldnt be happier in my job, everyone is nice, there isnt anything my manager wouldnt do for me, all staff know what there doing apart from the odd weird day lol, but other than that couldnt fault it, also the owner is really nice and down to earth you can approach and speak to him 👍🏼

Pros

relaxed, calm and nice place to work

Cons

long driving

Toxic, overworked and underpaid

The office managers would like to think that all the staff are one big happy family... not the case! The workplace has lots of backstabbing, managers not to be trusted (like to gossip to staff members about other members of staff! For a company that primarily deal with students with learning disabilities there is a complete disregard on staff mental health and well-being (they promote their health plan)

Pros

Odd day out

Cons

Not enough pay

Supportive management and flexible working

Great company to work for - flexible one to one work with students in higher education. Managers send out student contracts and staff respond with availability. Always somebody at the end of the line from management to ask for any help. The company have adapted well to Covid and supporting staff online. Good maternity benefits. Pay is reliable.

Pros

Helpful management team, flexible work, maternity benefits

Cons

Zero hours contract, lone working can feel isolating

Good communication, supportive.

I've worked for Barry Bennett for a year now as a non medical helper. They have been really good in terms of communication, information and any problems that I've had. They've given good feedback overall and I feel like I can contact them at any time regarding the job role, students or with general enquiries. The staff I've communicated with have all been really helpful and friendly and I feel valued for the work I do. I've worked for a few different agencies/businesses doing this job, and Barry Bennett are definitely one of the best. Their systems are simple and any time there has been a technical issue it has been resolved within 24 hours or less.

Pros

Friendly management, straight forward systems, good rate of pay.

Cons

Set your own hours (which works for me but not everyone wants).

Great supportive employers

Great place for tutors seeking casual, flexibletutor hours. The online timesheet & session writeups are very easy to complete & user friendly; one of the best systems ever. Staff at the office are approachable and friendly and will always have your back, so a very supportive place to work. They'll also help with recommendations for CPD. One of the many reasons I've been with them for so long.You can choose from the anonymous students you think you'll support well and if Barry Bennett think it a good match & your free times coincide you'll be their study skills tutor. Sessions are online at the moment but not necessarily when lockdown is over, though some students do prefer that. They usually tell you what they'd like support with and so sessions are very individualised.

Pros

Flexible hours for tutor work you can choose to work around yourself

Cons

Not as many students to support as you would like. It's just supplementary work.

Poor and uncaring

They used to be better due to communication but they charge so little to be competitive and don't care about their workers at all. They make you pay for all your own accreditations and equipmemt even when unrequired. They can't calculate pay properly, they just state round up sums that you aren't paid. Always pay holiday pay with normal which messes with tax.

Overall enjoyed, but not a good enough wage

Work ethic.was pretty good overall Everyone seemed to enjoy what they were doing, however, the wage was atrocious and the management didn't seem to care.

Flexible

I work from home and am allocated students to train on a daily basis. The process is easy and I rarely have any issues. Some days though there is very little work so as you only get paid for what you do it can be difficult to manage finances.

Pros

Flexbile

Cons

Not always consistent flow of work

A highly engaging, dynamic and challenging role

A typical day at work was to meet students at prearranged lecture/seminar locations, or for private study assistance meetings, or at easy-to-find locations for campus-transitional support. The support I provided varied between notetaking, transcription, study assistance and transitional support for university students with support plans. This was a highly engaging, dynamic and challenging role where you got as much as you gave to it, since support workers have to show initiative and strong communicative abilities with management to be allocated work appointments, and with students to ensure that the sessions took place and the students had all the details they needed. A true appreciation of sensitivity and confidentiality is essential. The crucial requirement is that the support delivered causes the students to feel supported rather than adding an extra stress, so the support worker must be on top of everything, arrive to all appointments early and keep up excellent communication. Excellent organisation and timekeeping skills were necessary to ensure that commitments were honoured and the student could rely on the support worker. The hardest part of the job was when there were areas of uncertainty that took longer to resolve. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the variety of the work, developing rapports with all the students I worked with regularly and all the fascinating learning that you get to do in the higher education setting. This job built so many essential skills for me and it felt like a privilege to be so trusted in this role. The management were all very kind -

Fun workplace

-Always an interesting day- Friendly staff- Developed strong computer skills - There was always help when needed - Fun workplace, never to serious

Pros

Nice offce space

Cons

Commuting

ok

Generally an ok place to work. Lots of travelling and early late starts. Under paid for skills set and job roles. No scope to progress throughout the company.

Pros

job role

Cons

salary

good

A typical day rolls around meeting the student first thing in the morning and going through their difficulties how you intend to help them. This can last a maximum of two hours when a session is then completed locked. Mr is left with tasks on things to do for the next session and then I will travel to the 2nd location. You are left to your own devices as to how you communicate with students and how you will help them to progress. Very little management intervention in this case. Is part of the job is travelling very long distances and having to complete a minimum of four two-hour sessions a day. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students understand your methods and how you teach them and watching them progress throughout their degree.

Cons

Long hours in the distance / and locations you have to travel to

fun workplace

prep department that Programs computers for disabled students. Witch consists of making sure all the delivery go out on time for the engineers to collect and all the admin is completed correctly e.g. delivery notes pricking notes and delivery labels.

Pros

treated to days out

Cons

pay

Rewarding job Tell us about: a typical day at work what you learned management your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names. Your company review and job title will be shown publicly on Indeed. Great times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barry Bennett Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement