Barry Bennett Ltd

Barry Bennett Ltd Employee Reviews

I've worked for Barry Bennett for a year now as a non medical helper. They have been really good in terms of communication, information and any problems that I've had. They've given good feedback overall and I feel like I can contact them at any time regarding the job role, students or with general enquiries. The staff I've communicated with have all been really helpful and friendly and I feel valued for the work I do. I've worked for a few different agencies/businesses doing this job, and Barry Bennett are definitely one of the best. Their systems are simple and any time there has been a technical issue it has been resolved within 24 hours or less.
Pros
Friendly management, straight forward systems, good rate of pay.
Cons
Set your own hours (which works for me but not everyone wants).
Great place for tutors seeking casual, flexibletutor hours. The online timesheet & session writeups are very easy to complete & user friendly; one of the best systems ever. Staff at the office are approachable and friendly and will always have your back, so a very supportive place to work. They'll also help with recommendations for CPD. One of the many reasons I've been with them for so long.You can choose from the anonymous students you think you'll support well and if Barry Bennett think it a good match & your free times coincide you'll be their study skills tutor. Sessions are online at the moment but not necessarily when lockdown is over, though some students do prefer that. They usually tell you what they'd like support with and so sessions are very individualised.
Pros
Flexible hours for tutor work you can choose to work around yourself
Cons
Not as many students to support as you would like. It's just supplementary work.
They used to be better due to communication but they charge so little to be competitive and don't care about their workers at all. They make you pay for all your own accreditations and equipmemt even when unrequired. They can't calculate pay properly, they just state round up sums that you aren't paid. Always pay holiday pay with normal which messes with tax.
Work ethic.was pretty good overall Everyone seemed to enjoy what they were doing, however, the wage was atrocious and the management didn't seem to care.
I work from home and am allocated students to train on a daily basis. The process is easy and I rarely have any issues. Some days though there is very little work so as you only get paid for what you do it can be difficult to manage finances.
Pros
Flexbile
Cons
Not always consistent flow of work
A typical day at work was to meet students at prearranged lecture/seminar locations, or for private study assistance meetings, or at easy-to-find locations for campus-transitional support. The support I provided varied between notetaking, transcription, study assistance and transitional support for university students with support plans. This was a highly engaging, dynamic and challenging role where you got as much as you gave to it, since support workers have to show initiative and strong communicative abilities with management to be allocated work appointments, and with students to ensure that the sessions took place and the students had all the details they needed. A true appreciation of sensitivity and confidentiality is essential. The crucial requirement is that the support delivered causes the students to feel supported rather than adding an extra stress, so the support worker must be on top of everything, arrive to all appointments early and keep up excellent communication. Excellent organisation and timekeeping skills were necessary to ensure that commitments were honoured and the student could rely on the support worker. The hardest part of the job was when there were areas of uncertainty that took longer to resolve. The most enjoyable parts of the job were the variety of the work, developing rapports with all the students I worked with regularly and all the fascinating learning that you get to do in the higher education setting. This job built so many essential skills for me and it felt like a privilege to be so trusted in this role. The management were all very kind - more...
-Always an interesting day- Friendly staff- Developed strong computer skills - There was always help when needed - Fun workplace, never to serious
Pros
Nice offce space
Cons
Commuting
Generally an ok place to work. Lots of travelling and early late starts. Under paid for skills set and job roles. No scope to progress throughout the company.
Pros
job role
Cons
salary
A typical day rolls around meeting the student first thing in the morning and going through their difficulties how you intend to help them. This can last a maximum of two hours when a session is then completed locked. Mr is left with tasks on things to do for the next session and then I will travel to the 2nd location. You are left to your own devices as to how you communicate with students and how you will help them to progress. Very little management intervention in this case. Is part of the job is travelling very long distances and having to complete a minimum of four two-hour sessions a day. The most enjoyable part is seeing the students understand your methods and how you teach them and watching them progress throughout their degree.
Cons
Long hours in the distance / and locations you have to travel to
prep department that Programs computers for disabled students. Witch consists of making sure all the delivery go out on time for the engineers to collect and all the admin is completed correctly e.g. delivery notes pricking notes and delivery labels.
Pros
treated to days out
Cons
pay
Rewarding job Tell us about: a typical day at work what you learned management your co-workers the hardest part of the job the most enjoyable part of the job DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names. Your company review and job title will be shown publicly on Indeed. Great times