Basingstoke College of Technology

Basingstoke College of Technology Employee Reviews

I have learned about my students family background and development stories. The learning environment is growing slowly in new establishment. My motivation and help were at first hard to apply as students had resisted my support for about one month. Being positive, inclusive and persistent eventually payed off. I have enjoyed helping with classroom studies and seeing progress. The staff are sociable and helpful- good bunch. Mostly I have enjoyed watching students building practical skills and scoring their work products.
Poor leadership and management with an unsupportive senior leader has led to a culture that has resulted in poor staff retention and poor outcomes. The induction process is flawed & when help is requested it is declined, which is not in the spirit of inclusive education. For an FE institution you would expect support and guidance to be strong and this was not demonstrated.
Lots of opportunities and great staff. Good management team in place and a nurturing environment. Love working here, but the pay is very poor. Lots of opportunities to learn/train.
The staff at BCOT were so welcoming and helpful and easy to talk to. I was given a variety of tasks to carry out on my work experience with help from the staff. Got to learn how to use a variety of new technologies and produce my own podcast.
Went and studied every day. The teachers were nice. College was right next to town and the train station. Made a lot of friends. I have learnt a lot there
The people I worked with were great to be around. We all helped each other when work/life balance got tough. It was always good to see the students' progress through their learning. The College celebrated learning through prize giving evenings at the end of the academic year. A very positive vibe around the College.
Pros
Very good on-site restuarant facilities and food.
Cons
Intensive atmosphere around exam time, but only to be expected.
Focus is on getting result and that is put before quality of the teaching lots of pressure to get stdets to pass which when people are not vetted on courses means unsuitable students needing lots of support on vocatioal cousres and often statemented needs are not met.
Whatever chaos goes on in the background, the students are always given 100% support. Dynamic leadership and determination to make sure everyone succeeds.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Changes in the further education environment have caused constraints
Enjoyable place to work. The regular staff are fun, nice and dedicated people. There is good access to equipment, facilities and resources, but the senior management is very poor. They lack the foresight in planing and promotion to advance the departments and college as a whole. This results in reduced student numbers and therefore reduced funding for the departments, which has a direct detrimental affect on the students. The equipment and facilities are reasonably good and do contribute to the student success rate. However without proper funding and managerial oversight, much of it has become quite dated and doesn't rival other local colleges anymore.
Pros
Access to equipment, resources, facilities
Cons
Lack of foresight in senior management.
21 November 2017
Thanks for your feedback and we are glad to hear that our staff are dedicated – something we would completely agree with.As you will know, times are tough in Further Education at the moment, but despite this, the equipment and facilities at BCoT are recognised as industry standard by many of our employer and university partners. We are always seeking to ensure students have the best of experiences with us and our decision making always puts them first.We would be happy to discuss your feedback further and if you wish to do so, please contact the Deputy Principal for Curriculum.
I spent two years at Basingstoke College of Technology which was enjoyable from my first day to the last, everyone always willing to help with some of the best teachers I have ever had.
Pros
enjoyable.
21 November 2017
Great to hear that you had a good time at BCoT and best wishes for the future!
The staff turn over is relentless...i think that says a great deal. Your experience will mostly depend on your department and especially your line manager. The students are generally ok.
Pros
All teachers really care
Cons
Stats-based, fear-lead culture. The principal.
28 November 2017
Thanks for taking the time to comment that our students are good and that our teachers really care, we completely agree with you. At BCoT we invest in our staff and managers so that the experience of everyone that studies or works here is the best it can be. Staff do move on for a variety of reasons and turnover is no different to other colleges in the further education sector. We all strive for our students to achieve as well as they are able to and with this in mind we keep a close eye on their performance statistics so that they can move onto employment, higher education or further training and therefore fulfil their potential. We are similar to other colleges in that we have high expectations of all of our staff and we continually challenge ourselves to improve what we do for the benefit of students.
The Art department was very warm and welcoming. All the staff were supportive of each other. The facilities available to the students and staff were excellent.
Can be very demanding, resulting in a pressured environment due to the many changes taken place in education in general. Job satisfaction can be rewarding when seeing achievements made by the students.
Best thing about this college is the students because they don't lie or manipulate you. Senior management have their own agenda, they have unrealistic targets , can't even say hello to you in the corridors and have their favourites. Certain departments have the worst of teachers delivering lessons who don't care about their students, spend most of their time slagging of other employees and slackers. They preach about quality and diversity as a front for Ofsted and external verifiers and put an act on. There's no diversity, proof is in the staffing; where are the people of colour ? The ones they had have already left because of the poor treatment they received. Due to the bullying mentality which is encouraged by those higher up. I wouldn't recommend anyone working here unless your familiar with a senior management team member and know you'll be treated fairly. Stress load is ridiculous from mine managers who favour selective 'friends', staff are dishonest and will do minimal for the students. A lot of the 'disengaged' students are treated like second hand citizens. Summarise: majority of the best lecturers are or have left, high turn over because it's about how to make money as appose to retention of good teachers to serve students. Ofsted are spot on , this college isn't outstanding and will not ever be, unless a different principal and management are recruited.
Pros
Students and caretakers
Cons
Senior management team and principal
interaction with the students . learn to apply ther methods. variety of experience, mature students focused on their work. Opportunities to learn, engaged in masters
Pros
next to home
A typical day at work is me managing my dairy effectively and ensuring all my learners are kept motivated and up to date and motivated on their qualifications. I have had the opportunity to complete a number of courses such as Advice and Guidance, preparing to teach in the life long sector and Internal Quality Assurance. I have had some great mentors there and learnt great skills and tips which I am now able to share my knowledge with. I enjoy my role because I like being part of the learners journey and working with a broad spectrum of people of all ages, backgrounds and experience. The hardest part of my role is that it is a very, I miss the environment of a office of people, although you are a team, you only see each other once a month. The management has gone through a number of changes in the last 12 months and this has had an impact on the possibility of progression and side stepping into other roles.
Pros
Variety of people that you meet and work with.
Cons
Can be a lonely role.
They throw you in at the deep end with no support, long hours and no opportunity to progress. Management are useless and treated staff unfairly and poor. your given no guidance and there is a major lack of communication from higher members of staff.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Management, opportunities
Several staff dismissed in a seemingly surly fashion which is a cause for concern. Facilities like canteen nothing special. The best bit is on site parking with a permit. Tools were good for learners but workshop was not very good. Management tended to micro manage and be petty, implementing change for the sake of change. Co operation was lacking and access to required teaching materials and assessments was seemingly restricted making some aspects of the job difficult.
Pros
Free parking and usually some spaces
Cons
Canteen
Can't say I've ever worked somewhere with quite the corruption and ill-will towards staff from a management point of view. Senior management regularly lie, deny when questioned and outright dodge direct questioning when a department is in strife, job security and morale are plummeting and students are complaining in droves. It is a cowardly place with some backwards ideas about the forthcoming mergers which continues to make enemies with local colleges based on its unrealistic management. Having said that, the department was chocked full (until several forced resignations and many more redundancies) of absolutely incredible colleagues who were skilled in their areas and had many decades of experience. I have made life long friends, but in the face of adversity. Do not work for BCOT, and certainly not on anything but a solid contract. Join the union.
Pros
Great floor staff
Cons
Everything to do with snake like management
Worst place I have ever worked. Bullying culture from line manager with no support or guidance. Work long hours and get told you're lazy and not working hard enough. Morale was low amongst staff which is a shame as there were some cracking people there. Uninspiring senior management only compounded issues.
Pros
Coffee was nice
Cons
BCoT management
Bullying type culture, do not think of applying here without your eyes wide open.
Pros
Able to leave