Bath Spa University logo

Bath Spa University Employee Reviews in Bath

4.2
Work-life balance

Fun, supported

very relaxed atmosphere and lovely students, i felt like i was making a difference to their education and was helping settle them into the school environment, especially at the beginning of the year

Fun job.

Enjoyed my job working with the students and other staff members. Fantastic location to work and great support from the university to all levels of employee.

A village like feel and beautiful grounds

Managing day to day cleaning of all academic and residential buildings with several teams and shifts. Managing to provide different levels of service to clients and conference delegates. The workplace culture is friendly with everyone trying their best to meet demands. I enjoyed the relationships I had with my teams and working through difficult times with humour.

The most enjoyable part of the job

The most enjoyable aspect of working for Bath Spa University was being involved in open days as a psychology ambassador. This allowed me to interact with prospective students and show my passion for both the university and psychology as a course.

Pros

Free Lunches

Great work place.

Working with a great team and great inspiring environment for prospective students. I have learned great team working skills and confidence with large tours and public speaking. I have also learned how to work together with a team effectively dealing with challenges and making the day run smoothly. Thoroughly enjoyed learning and growing and achieving more personally and also as a team. I Enjoy seeing prospective students on there journey to education and to help be apart of that .

Professional but fun

Typical 9-5 in which the team helped one another to complete tasks with a fun but serious workplace atmosphere. Relaxed on task completion as long as it was up to scratch.

a good university

This is a great university to study at. The staff are really helpful and the campus is beautiful. There are many services across the university, which all students to take advantage of.

laid back workplace

Enjoyed meeting new people and gaining more confidence by doing tours and talks. Great place to work when you live on campus and 0 hour contract made it perfect and flexible to work when you can do shifts.

Pros

0 hours contract and free lunch

Cons

Not always alots of work going

Productive & Creative Workplace

Great working environment with well mannered employees and staff. Workplace culture was productive and provided a great platform for creativity. Highly recommend.

Fun place to work

Working at BSU is fun because everyday is different and challenging. It is a good place to work with good benefits also. There is a variety if places you can work an a lot of friendly people.

Jobs at Bath Spa University

in Bath
See more jobs

Fantastic employer

Bath Spa is an excellent employer - I should know because I had two jobs there. I was a Student Ambassador helping out with open days, and I was a Library Assistant helping out with general student enquiries.

Good part time role to enhance employability

I took the jobs around campus to both get more working experience and to add to the links in my university community. the time requirement did not interfere with my studies and revolved mostly around open days where i would take groups of parents and their children around the campus and course facilities to introduce them to the potential environment and content.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

few hours

Enjoyable employment

This casual employment involved an 8 hour shift, answering questions from prospective students and their families. I also took part in Education panels, panels about university life in general and took part in smaller workshops. The pay was excellent and having our lunch paid for was another bonus.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Not regular employment

Productive workplace

A typical day at work involves helping students, packing goody bags for future students visiting uni, giving campus and accommodation tours, answering questions and directing people to their correct locations. A lot of waiting around sometimes, worse in the winter because of cold weather etc, but overall it’s a fun experience and I leave feeling like I’ve achieved something.

Pros

30min lunch break if work 6+ hours, great pay

Cons

Sometimes hours pass by when you’re not going anything

Creative and friendly workplace

Daily meetings with my mentees included answering any questions they had about their university experience. This could range from how to find certain books in the library, to discussing specific pieces of texts linked to the modules they had taken in English Literature. I particularly enjoyed being able to offer my knowledge on how to structure essays, and encouraging students to bring new ideas to the forefront of their arguments. I found that original, solid arguments in essays helped students achieve the higher grades, and I therefore assisted students in shaping their essays, presentations and reports into cohesive and strong pieces of work. Whilst being a mentor, I realised that every student was individual and thus worked in different ways. I found some students preferred to plan each paragraph of their essays, however others decided to just write freely and then edit their work afterwards. This truly allowed me to acknowledge and accept the originality of my students and I planned my sessions according to their needs. Throughout the experience, I met with my supervisor once a month to talk about the progression of my students and listened to any advice they offered me. I was always open to suggestions of how to improve my sessions with my students. Both me and my mentees found this advice helpful. The hardest part about this experience was managing my own studies, alongside my social life. At this stage in my university experience, I played for both Bath Spa's netball and american football teams. Although it was a struggle at times, through mentoring, I learnt -

Pros

helped to make a difference

Cons

some students were unreliable and did not show up to sessions

Fun place to study

I was a student of Religion, Philosophy and Ethics at the university for one year . The campus was clean and vibrant. The tutors were some of the most caring people I have ever met

Pros

Caring tutors

Cons

Not enough sporting opportunities

Fun workplace

Working for the University was the perfect job for me in First year when i was settling in. The pay per hour was great and the experience gained was amazing - Really helped me settle in.

It pays the bills

Very little direction given, left to make myself look busy for much of my time, Senior management is very detached from reality, and the car park fills up really quickly during term time and you will get a parking ticket if you are not parked in the right place or displaying a ticket.

Pros

Flexi-time

Cons

very little to actually do during the day

One of the leading Universities in Music Composition

Bath Spa is currently one of the leading universities in music composition. There is a fantastic community forming up, which makes it a very exciting place to work.

Lovely Place to work and gain experience

I have been volunteering at Bath Spa academic archives on a part time basis, working independently for approximately six hours a week. I have primarily been working on the religious section of the archives, The Bath Archive of Contemporary Religious Affairs. Involving collecting sources from many different places, Organising and filing these sources and proceeding to cataloguing them for future reference. I have been able to learn a great deal about archiving and its processes from this experience, continually building my knowledge and skills. This has been an invaluable experience to carry out course assignments whilst completing my MA in Archive Administration. I have learnt a great deal about not only archiving but also about managing myself and working on projects both individually and as a team. All this done on the most scenic and beautiful campus.

Pros

Great Staff keen to help people grow

Cons

Voluntary Position

Bath Spa

Working at open days, answering questions about University life and addressing all parent and/or student concerns. I also gave an insight into the psychology curriculum at the university as well as carrying out campus tours. Loved helping people in making their right choice