BBC
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

BBC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom481 reviews

Don’t knock it, until you try it!

This is a good place to work. From the outside I thought the usual things about it being old, stuffy and bureaucratic. After joining I realised that it has a mostly positive culture and people are always eager to offer help and support. And, we make some great shows, too! This is a self-critical organisation that strives to get things right. But it is by no means perfect and there’s lots more to do. I’ve been here a long time and despite the ups and downs and changes; I’d recommend the BBC as a place to build your career.

Pros

Great people, great culture flexible/ hybrid working

Cons

Pay is reasonable, but always at the lower end of the scale

Good for people passionate about Production

Brilliant company if passionate about production and want to progress in any area of TV not just production. long days but highly compensated with pay

Pros

Free breakfast dinner

Cons

Can be long days

Excellent place to work

The BBC is a great place to work. You learn a lot and there are great people that you can work with and learn from. It can be stressful at times, but they are a great employer.

Pros

Creative culture

Cons

Fast paced

Busy and Fast Paced

Fast Paced environment on production teams, stressful at times but good team mates and lots of experienced people around to help. Overtime required at times near transmission.

Équilibre vie professionnelle/personnelle

Équilibre vie professionnelle/personnelleÉquilibre vie professionnelle/personnelle

High expectations, not so high standards

While I guess there might be a few good managers somewhere in the organizations, my colleagues and I were unfortunate enough to become subjects to those favourists (ie doing favouritism). Same (if not more) work with less pay and grade.In the news, deadlines were very short and the number of things to do within the deadline was a lot if you are good at what you do, relaxed if you aren't, and there you find that not being good enough is a way to get a promotion, being good meaning they won't let you go anywhere. You get stuck

Overall a good place to work but has suffered as a result of the pandemec

I worked as a software engineer on the graduate scheme. The process overall has been quite disorganized but this is somewhat understandable as the company was having to suddenly adapt a remote first approach to work. The scheme was lead by managers who seem to have no connection to the engineering department. This resulted in guidance and objectives that really didn't make much sense and was ad odds with what would actually be beneficial to myself.

Pros

Work life balance is amazing, Offices have a really good vibe about them, Most people are very friendly and easy to get on with.

Cons

Sometimes feels like a bloated organization. Scheme does not seem to be managed very well.

Nurturing and exciting place to work

The BBC is a fantastic place to work, learn and develop your career. There is lots of training, you work with the best in the industry. It is well organised and creative.

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work, nice people and a relaxed atmosphere. I really enjoyed my time working there, good work culture. I enjoyed using the latest tech while working there and learned a lot.

Great place to develop - culture is old fashioned and hierarchical

Slow to make change and innovate. Badly needs to invest in its systems, which impacts its ability to innovate. Friendly workforce, but senior management are too focused on fighting fires, not thinking of sustainable strategic change.

Pros

Great internal opportunities to develop and grow skills

Cons

Work life balance is poor if you're in a support role

Fun place to work , good pay. No job security

Fun place to work , good pay. No job security , good working culture never a boring shift working in and out of the building . Staff are all lovely snd want you to do well.

Pros

Pay, fun, great staff

Cons

No security

productive and fun, good management

relaxed atmosphere, staff are treated well by management. Good career progression and a modest offering of training courses. Low turnover of staff and nice office space.

Reputable media brand

Of course working for the BBC is a great opportunity to grow and build up a career as a reliable journalist but on the other hand, it's an old and traditional structured corporation which is miles behind new high tech and digital media competitors.

Pros

Well know and reputation brand

Cons

Old fashion management style.

Bbc

Great place, great ppl great office great locations, fun every day. Would like to work there in future Flex working, made great friend for life.I made evaluations to understand which players I can count on

Pros

Free lunch

Creative and innovative

Unique place to work with lots of opportunities to work on some great products. Get the chance to move around and work with a variety of different folk

Pros

Get to work with some amazing creative people doing really interesting work

Cons

Lack of progression and forward thinking Biased management

Have worked at the BBC on and off for a few years now. It's always good place to work.The teams are always fun and the managers are supportive. Overall would recommend.

Terrible Senior Management

The organisation is overrun by people who think they have a god given right to be listened to despite being incredibly incompetent. The hierarchy is stifling and you find there is plenty of nice words about diversity and respect; however, very few people feel respected or valued.

Pros

Nice locations

Cons

Terrible Management

I like friendly environment, easy going , supportive staff for training. Enjoy working in fun environment. Good training package progression in a job where I can be successful in the work place.

Pros

Free lunches

Not for me

I did not enjoy my experience here. Many reasons why but this was not a place where i was able to develop my skills due to senior staff above me. The things you work on are fantastic but very hard to progress for some.

Great environment. Very professional

They're amazing. Be yourself and you'll get their attention.Be professional and have very clear (read the job description throughly) in mindwwhat yyou're dutiesaare ggoing tobe and how you willbe ableto excel at them.

The beeb is a family 👪

Great learning curve good people all wanting to do there best ,proud to work in the beeb. There is unsociable hours late night long days in the rain snow sunshine ,what do you expect its media . Family 👪 your part of a new family you need to fit in and enjoy ,probably one of the best companies to be involved in .

Pros

No lol

Cons

Depends what your doing 🤔 what job your in, some unsociable but comes with media

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BBC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare BBC with

• BBC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?