BBC

BBC Employee Reviews

BBC is a great place to work. There's a lot of openness and collaboration across departments. Management takes good care of people, ensuring are given time to adjust to new situations or solve personal problems so that you perform at your best.The environment is very good. Nice offices, catering and good equipment provided. The only downside I see is career development. Depending what you do or where you are in the organization it might be hard to develop your career. New opportunities for challenging work to demonstrate your abilities can be hard to come by. Mostly because there will be someone at another level who takes over those responsibilities and you'll be left with only work at your level but nothing more challenging than what you signed up for if even if you try hard for it.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
poor career development
A lot of toxic senior management in my team which saw over half of the team quit within the year. Coming from a more creative background, the office is encouraged to be as quiet as possible (no music allowed) which I found a little stifling. Some teams are excellent but it really does depend on managers.As a company as a whole, work life balance was very good and there are some nice perks - but they need to let go of those at the top who are incompetent and causing talented people to leave.
Pros
Work life balance, colleagues
Cons
Toxic management, corporate, boring
Some great people and work undertaken dispersed sufficiently thinly throughout the organisation to prevent it sinking but progress is hampered by a toxic, self serving, ‘political’ culture that replicates in its own image, aided and abetted by HR not representative of the society served The latest EDI measures will fail as they are merely ‘set dressing’ - radical change is required at SLT level .
Pros
Household name employer (but this is diminishing)
Cons
Structure, culture, policies, nepotism, sexism, racism, class prejudice
Diversity and inclusion are current priorities. The new orthodoxy will emerge as structure is flattened. Next DG will define the direction so keep an eye on big announcements about where funding will be located and administered.
Pros
Opportunities if your face fits.
Cons
Don't stick around too long - staff get stuck and are not helped to make changes.
I worked here for 3 years on contracts, and noticed a culture pattern across all the BBC sites from London to Salford to Birmingham. Its very clicky and if you dont fit in you will struggle here. I worked in CBBC and the level of bullying is high, the unit management team knew I was being bullied but didn't support me. I went for an interview in Radio 4 and was told i was too young to fit in. Discrimination but as they stick together like a pack of wolves, they get away with it. A manager also shouted in the office area about a personal issue of mine. This place can be a great place but there is a lot of issues stopping it, people see BBC then get blinded by the unethical issues as they want that brand. There are great projects to work on and you can be flexible with your work but overall i wouldn't recommended it. It is also very competitive, you have to really prove yourself if you want to achieve here. I was told that i could come back anytime i wanted but i neverreturned.
Pros
Different sites
Cons
No diversity, Long hours, low pay
work life balance sucks as a freelancer. start really early in the morning finish really late at night, never see the family on and evening but at least you get a good wage though. Only the crew make it a good job the management are terrible.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
It's over 15 years since I left but it was a fantastic organisation to work for with lots of opportunities to advance my career and gave me a great foundation in lots of different areas. I don't know what it's like now as all of my previous colleagues have now moved onto other things but all of us had a long service with the Corporation.
Pros
great opportunities and training
Cons
A good environment for all abilities. Welcoming and helpful. Good management. Take the time to get to know you and help develop any areas that you may need to work on
Great team who are highly welcoming. Fantastic disabled facilities. Only only there for a short period help and guidance was unlimited and I gained a large amount of knowledge and understanding.
Working at the BBC was one of the best things that I ever did and regretted leaving from day one. Everyone that worked there were great and so encouraging for everyone.
Perfect for short term contracts and also for learning a wide variety of skills whilst working with a large number of people with different skill sets & experiences.
Have worked for the BBC on 4 occasions in past 20 years mostly contracting. Last role for BBC news where there is poor management, too much stress and low pay.
Pros
BBC is s good organization.
Cons
Low pay, poor line management. Too many managers.
As part of my work experince, I got to experience many different aspect of the running of a regional radio station. I was given a lot of responsibility but also a lot of support and guidence which made for a very enjoyable experience.
A typical day would start at 7:30am and finish at 6:30pm. The day would fly by, because work did not feel like work. I throughly loved my job. I gained so much experience and took every opportunity i could to try and learn something new. Crew and production staff made my job easier than it was with so much support and encouragement. The highlight of my job was able to share the set with amazing talented actors.
Pros
Meet a variety of people from every walk of life
Cons
Working 8 hour shift. Sometimes weekend work. Greeting visitors, processing quick security check and guiding them to their meeting or programme. Hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult visitors who refused to show a form of identification and the occasional lightly mentally disturbed visitors. Being patient and remaining professional at all times is required. The good thing is you work with people from very diverse backgrounds and countries and get to learn a lot about their culture. And you get to see the occasional celebrity and mini concerts in the piazza.
I worked for a 2 months some years ago at TV Centre. It was a dreadful experience and subsequent to that I have not wished to return in any form. I do not mind working outside of the BBC's buildings, the culture at BBC is untennable.
I have worked here for almost 2 years and loved every second. Every time you're at work your creativity is challenged in a positive way, and I love how fast-paced everything is.
Great place to work, encourage career development and offer in house courses. Fast paced environment which is challenging but rewarding to work within
My review is actually only based on working for them for 2 days on a national tour. The actual job was great, meeting members of the public who were eager to find out about wartime relations.
Enjoyed making programmes and contributing to TV and radio on part-time basis; offering professional skills - especially in the fields of Religion and Ethics.
Great place to work as a more secure job in the Television Industry, management were very supportive and helped me to advance in my career along the Assistant Director route.
  1. Employee reviews