BDO

BDO Employee Reviews

United Kingdom126 reviews

Found 126 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,652 reviews
firmclientsalaryofficelearnteamlotstaff

Okay nothing out of ordinary

Okay Same as other audit firms Pay is lower Lots of small clients Culture is okay, people you work with make or break the experienceProgression depends on who you know

Pros

People

Assistant Manager

Very under resourced. Management don’t uphold company values. Overly Competitive environment.Started only employing people who can’t leave the negative environment without paying high fees.

Insights into BDO

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose

Productive forward thinking environment. Focus on well-being and being yourself.

Strong leadership supports the firms values. Learning & development workshops to help you to succeed. Career pathways Mentoring & coaching available.

Pros

Great benefits package, rewards structure for individual and team performance, agile working environment

Cons

Long hours in some parts of the business

Good experience/ below average benefits

Its good if you are starting a career in accounting to have a big company name, but the culture and benefits are not great. It depends which team you are with but there are some departments where there is next to 0 progression opportunities

Pros

good for CV

Cons

below average salary

Great place to learn all about accounting and finance. Place to her all your accounting and finance foundations. Will recommend to you if you want to learn but not make money.

Good Company

A good company to start your career but not to finish it. Most people stay for 2-3 years to build experience then go elsewhere like myself. I did enjoy working there.

Avoid. Long hours, no work life balance, little pay.

Very structured systems which can be good, however you have no routine. Your list of duties and responsibilities keeps growing (you may/may not like this) personally I was 9 months in and still did not feel settled because of this. Workload is too much for salary they place you on. Unrealistic expectations are placed on you which are not achievable within contracted hours of 37.5hrs per week. I would avoid this place if you can.

I wish that I didn't come to BDO

Really disappointing after I thought I hit the big time by getting an offer of employment.Work loads are excessive to the point of being stressful, a lot of micro-management, the pay could be better considering the workloads and management don't seem bother with you, outside of chasing you for work.Training is inadequate and I was even told to refer to a manual for when responding to a client, which blew my mind.Not exactly warm and welcoming either when you start either. I regret moving here and won't be there much longer I can assure you.

Acceptable

Acceptable workplace, can be stressful but dependent on your team. Salary is benchmarked against the wider market and bonus on offer. Good progression routes.

Poor management

Seems very easy to be promoted to manager, as a result many managers are no more knowledgeable than those they are in charge of which results in confusion, miscommunication and unproductive teamwork.

Good company to work for

Best company I have worked for in the private sector. Management lead by example. You have to work hard but they look after you. I really enjoyed my time at this company and was genuinely sad to leave. They also give a good service to their clients so I was proud to work for them.

Distinctly average, and getting worse.

Working in the London tax group as a senior manager, the firm has slipped and certainly got worse since pre-covid. There is high turnover of staff, and very slow recruitment. The Big 4 and industry will always snap people up first. Senior leaders decided to put all grads on furlough, creating resentment at that level, and a freeze on all recruitment for a year during 2020. They are still chasing their tails over these decisions, with teams very pushed for resource and team. Of course though, whilst recruitment is stagnant, revenues must grow even if we don't have enough resource, leaving likeable, hard working and clever people being overworked, underpaid and pushed continually to make up the resource deficit. Remembering of course this is an LLP: there are no shareholders to appease with growth targets, and avoiding a year of consolidation. Just partners wanting to line their pockets. It was a decent firm, and a good place to work in 2018/2019. In 2022, I would not recommend it.

Pros

A lot of hard working, smart people and good opportunities to work with interesting clients

Cons

Long hours, below market pay, high turnover of staff

Tiring

Hire and fire culture. Under market rate salary. Unsupportive managers, some of who micromanage. A lot of training but they also expect you to usually work overtime, normal hours is not “good enough”.

Very good place to get some experience

Great entry level role for anyone looking to get their foot into the door in finance. I would definitely recommend it but as experience begins to grow the opportuntieis

Pros

Good team

Cons

Pay

Low Salary

The salaries are not fairly distributed, where individuals are not payed well and some are over payed. At the end of it they hire a lot of staff and you become just a number for them.

Considerate employer but pays below market

Nearly nil emails from partners and managers following up on weekends. Allows flexible working.Can do better by matching market rates and giving off performance bonuses

Pros

Flexible working, lots of opportunities to learn

stressful environment

very stressful job once you've been sort of trained. All they care about is targets. A lot is expected for minimum wage.I would avoid if you can, they put a lot of pressure on you.

Good place to work.

Fast paced and challenging work environment but lots of learning and development opportunity. The hours can be long during particular periods but overall aren't terrible.

Low salary

Lots of politics and low salary, some people get paid more for same position even if you are higher performer with more experience.All depends how you bargain, they will tell you all people are paid the same:..

Negative experience

Poor communication from management. No information about dealing with queries from client team. Unclear communication by manager and inadequate training.

Professional but admin heavy

The firm has got a lot larger in the last few years and somewhat less of a personal service to clients. Admin has increased a lot, especially in the area of KYC. The firm is very professional and although pay is not particularly competitive, benefits are very good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement