Beach Retreats

Beach Retreats Employee Reviews

United Kingdom12 reviews

Nice Company to work for

Very hard work during the summer and plenty of hours, but in quieter times there can be weeks with no work at all The pay is really good , management are approachable, and most work colleagues are lovely.Standards expected are extremely high and cleans are checked but there is seldom any feedback regarding the standard of your work

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lack of job security or regular hours

Terrible company to work for.

Unorganised and chaotic… not a single word of thanks when one has gone above and beyond their role. Supervisor staff unreliable and unprofessional. 0 hours contract.

Pros

Non

Cons

Many

Insights into Beach Retreats

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Energising work tasks

Great team friendly and hardworking if you are ok with working weekends this this a great opportunity to join a wonderful team

Hard work with lots of challenges, you need to think on your feet and always plan ahead. You must be prepared to stay late every Friday and Saturday. For about 8 weeks in the summer. You don’t get overtime pay it’s hours in hand

Pros

Some discounts at the watergate bay hotel

Cons

Long hours very stressful in the summer. Not all managers work as a team.

Mixed bag, would not recommend housekeeper role.

The work is physically demanding, especially if you work alone. There are some wonderful people working here and the hourly rate is competitive. These are the only pluses. Communication is horrific. Shifts and senior roles are given to favourites even though their work may be sub-standard. The flexibility of a 0 hours contract can be a plus, but whilst promised sufficient winter hours, I left because I was expected to survive on 1 shift a week, with no compassion over my inability to pay my rent on 1 shift! Every manager you speak to says something different to the others, so there's no consistency. Some managers are great, others are very poor and unprofessional and tell you to just "add a few extra hours" to your timesheet even when you haven't worked them. May sound great, but not when you haven't been told that and others have! Discounts and benefits promised, never happened. Often office workers don't give you correct linen, cleaning products to do your job. Rotas change every 5 minutes. You tell them what you can/ cannot do and they forget. No appreciation whatsoever. Managers are friendly one day, then off with you the next. No consistency of standards. And for goodness sake don't make the mistake of telling them you drive; they'll send you all over and then decide they won't pay your fuel (though they may be paying other peoples). Oh and if you are mad enough to still work for them, check your payslips - they're frequently wrong!!

Pros

Nice people, hourly rate, flexible.

Cons

Too many, see full review

Housekeeping

Worked for Beach Retreats for 6 months was great to start with. Most housekeepers are great and you can get to meet some really good people. Some managers are great but others are lazy depends which area you work in. Communication is rubbish and shifts change all the time! It's zero hours which is great for flexibility and there are hours in the winter but management pick their favourites to work whether or not if they're good. HR won't want to help you if there's any issues don't bother asking them for help.

Pros

Flexible shifts good rates of pay

Cons

Bad communication, bad management

A great company to work for!!

I have been with Beach Retreats for around a year now and it is possibly the best job I have ever had. The staff (both housekeeping and management) are friendly and approachable. The rate of pay is excellent and you get a decent amount of hours. You are always kept in the loop with company updates and there are some good perks including a staff discount card, bonus scheme and staff referral scheme. It's a zero hour contract but this is generously compensated by the £12 per hour pay, staff pension and paid holiday as well as the flexibility to work around my home life. You also get to clean luxury sea front properties!! Couldn't ask for more really!

Pros

Excellent rate of pay

Cons

None!

This is a hard job

Management and housekeepers are kept separate therefore management have no idea how hard housekeepers work or how stressful it is. No appreciation is given and training is non existent you are given to a staff member who has been there the longest and have a date with them then left to get on. No communication between them and us and directions to properties not given. Organisation poor

Pros

zero hours so can work when you want

Cons

Zero hours contract so they can pick and chose if you get any work. Hours not guaranteed

Great company

Well organised, approachable, friendly and helpful staff. I have always enjoyed my work with beach retreats. Uniform and training provided and updated regularly.

Great Company to Work For

Beach Retreats is one of the best companies I have worked for. ALL levels of staff are really nice. The properties we clean are of very high quality so standards of cleaning has to high and you are trained very well for this. I would not hesitate to work for them, one of the perks is you get a staff discount card with GREAT discounts..

Pros

pleasant working enviroment

Cons

reduced shifts out of season

Management change

I worked for beach retreats for 2 years and the first year was great, the management was lovely and my boss looked after us all and always checked up on us to make sure everything was okay. In the second year she left and someone filled her position and the whole atmosphere changed. They stopped looking after us and just focused on the job getting done. they then started changing rota's so people started losing out on hours/ Giving them to their friends that they had worked with before. the hardest part of the job was probably getting a straight answer out of them. There were set rules then when no one would do them and it would be questioned, management made excuses as to why things weren't done. pay was ok.

Pros

pay was decent

Cons

management attitude to staff

Beach retreats - one of the best jobs I've been in.

A typical day at work is routine. I clean in a systematic way. I have learned a lot from this job but the main thing is to behave and clean to an exceptional standard thatI have gotten used to. The management is brilliant I get on with the team extremely well and they've always helped me when I've had a minor problem. My co-workers are also brilliant, I've made friends through this job and it makes the day a lot better when you can have conversation during lunch. The hardest part of the job is probably time keeping, I'm a perfectionist so always go to the time limit allowed on the property but I like to make sure everything is up to standard. I enjoy working as a team in this job however I also work well on my own. When you work in a team people can check you've done your job right and there is a feeling of success when you have accomplished a day well.

Pros

Discount on places around Watergate.

Cons

Short hours/ seasonal.

Contemporary Beach side holidays

• Acting as first point of call for guests to answer general enquiries, respond to guest calls and follow up care• Management of 24 hour/ out of hours service for guests including arranging for contractors to attend call outs for emergencies• Deal with guest complaints to ensure prompt and satisfactory resolution• Work closely with Beach Retreats Reservations, Marketing, Finance and Administration to establish booking patterns, occupancy, competitions, property literature, owners statements• Constant training to update all Beach Retreats employees on our property portfolio which changes on a daily basis – attention to detail is crucial in effective property sales• Arrange property visits around reservations for routine decorative and maintenance work to maintain a properties 4 - 5 star status• Manage all Health and Safety through housekeeping and maintenance personnel which includes PAT testing, fire risk assessments, fire equipment checks, gas safety inspections and installing safety aids• Attend all Quality in Tourism inspections, process and distribute reports to owners. This includes following up suggestions from assessors in order to get a higher star status.• Conduct annual property inspections based on QIT criteria to ensure each and every servicing agent is following the correct policies and procedures set out by Beach Retreats and to ensure each property is selling what is advertising, are the guests expectations met and providing a detailed report on any advice which could help the owner improve the entire guest experience and secure consistent and higher sales -

Pros

discounts for food and beverage and i not limited to an office environment

Cons

24 hour customer relations line which is managed by myself 120 hours a week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Beach Retreats. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Beach Retreats reviews by location

Learn about Beach Retreats in popular locations

• Beach Retreats
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?