Beefeater logo
Beefeater

Beefeater Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Really depends...

Your whole experience will depend on what manager you have. I’ve had some managers who sit in an office hiding from the business that’s crumbling around them, allowing their staff to stress and suffer and basically manage the place themselves, and some managers who were strict but got the job done and try motivating the team on the way....but those kinds of managers will eventually leave after 6-12 months to be replaced by a new ‘practise/test’ manager. Getting promoted is pretty easy but the wages are shocking for a team leader (aka duty manager but they only give you 80p more and make you do manager tasks that earn a wage of 25k). The only reason I’ve stayed here for so long is because the tips are great- if you are full time you’ll be earning a few hundred extra a month. Also some managers will ignore your contract hours sometimes and just put you on 12 hour shifts or whatever they please and most of the time say ‘whoops-that’s the industry hun’. During covid I honestly thought they would sack a bunch of us or close a site but that didn’t happen at all! They actually paid us 100% of wages. There’s always been drama and ugly fights between staff, but at the end of the day the team gets on like a family. So I’d definitely apply for the job but when you get asked to do a trial shift seriously observe and I’m sure the staff won’t be shy to answer questions about what the managers are like at that site. Good luck!

Pros

Tips, friendly staff, easy promotions

Cons

Managers, work/life balance, no free lunches, very busy and stressful at times, generally not enough staff on shifts due to there never being ‘enough hours’, pay for anything above regular staff member (i.e team leader)

Mixed bag

Not as good as it used to be. Day to day basic operation made harder and harder by goal post changing. Managers and team leaders spend hours and hours doing "office work" leaving everyone else to pick up the slack. Zero incentive skeams for kitchen staff but front of staff get tips. Not a job if you have a family or a life. Breaks deducted whether you take them or not. People made redundant and now their hiring and have vacancies.

Pros

Some nice people

Cons

Long physical work little thanks or support

When I worked for them I found the team as a whole was very dynamic and very easy to get on with and they had a very good work ethos also the management team was very good too

Pros

Great team

Fun but manipulative

Most of the staff are amazing but management are manipulative, the wages suck! Management use the possibility of promotion to overcome the lack of support & wages. If you dare have any difficult times & need time off they will shun you, refuse holiday & generally make things difficult for you. If you aren't living there or just in the inner circle your opinions don't count. Flirting & banter are used to deal with any issues & nothing is taken seriously (which can be ok but not professional at all). Most of the staff are really lovely & will treat you as a friend the moment you start with them.

Pros

Cons

Unsociable hours, incredibly low pay

a position worth employing. really nice people

a position worth employing. really nice people all right, general manager, young people who know what you need in life, friendly and understanding chef

Rubbish

Awful company to work for. Horrible staff. Worst management. Support and maturity at its lowest I’ve ever seen at a work place. Complete disgrace. Never suggest working for.

Not the best experience

While I'm sure the same cannot be said for all beefeater restaurants I was unfortunate to not get the best experience from my local restaurant. There was alot of tension between several members of staff that didnt see eye too eye which often caused conflict and sometimes unprofessional outbursts in front of customers. The job its self was not awful but the team needed work. I'm sure with better management that sort of issue could be resolved however I eventually found myself a more enjoyable job elsewhere!

Pros

50% off lunch, tips

Cons

Didnt always get the break you where intitled to.

Treated not good

Worked in company for a couple of years, asked for a transfer as was moving area, got approved by both sites only to move away to area I moved to too be told I was not promised a job and had no transfer. Really disappointed as worked my way up in last site and really enjoyed the role. Really disheartening in all honest as site and manager had seemed nice.

Pros

Always seeing new faces, and regular customers and getting to know new people

Cons

Not getting a transfer when offered

Good place to work at

Great place and managment is very helpful/understanding. They kept us updated about everything during the covid pandemic, manager always called to check if we were alright, which I do believe is v2eru important to feel at home when at work. Payment was always on time, the team is very supportive and will explain anything you don't know.

Best place

I have Dealt with lots of customers Over the time I was at beefeater. Saying hi to someone and back really does make anyone’s day so much brighter and amazing. I loved the hard work of serving food and working on the till to make food orders. Meeting new team mates and talking to each other Gets anyone through any tasks. It was a good place always on time wouldn't mind going back.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Good hours

Jobs at Beefeater

See more jobs

The best workplace for work

Working for Whitbread is amazing. I met friendly staff,supportive management and high quality training. With this company I become very confident. Everyday you can learn something new, meet new people. There is always fair opportunities to step up if you willing to. I will miss that place!

Pros

rewards

Cons

Great company to work for!!

I've been looking for permanent place of work where I can earn enough and also have enough time for my family. The Beefeater gave me all of it and even more! Flexible shifts, great opportunity to top up wages with tips, amazing discounts for the hotel room and food and many more. After soo many years searching for the right place to work in I joined them and I couldn't be happier!

Pros

Flexible shifts, great tips, plenty of discounts

Cons

Dealing with difficult guests

Productive and fun workplace

Amazing company to work for with fantastic benefits. Can progress up the career ladder in no time with a little motivation. Awesome team morale and support for one another.

Pros

Awesome team morale. No matter your personality, you'll fit straight in with the clan :-)

Cons

There is none ;-)

Fast Paced Fun

Great company to work for in terms of progression and recognition. Fair pay, and an emphasis on a healthy work/life balance - as much as can be with working in the hospitality industry.

Brill place to work

One of the best companys I've ever worked for. Staff management great. Brilliant team. Full of opportunities. Got to know all our locals. Made some really good friends

Ok

Lo que mas me gusto fue el Buen ambiente de trabajo. Aprendi el idioma y a trabajar bajo presión

Awful management, always breaks the law

Management always broke the law when it came to giving employees their breaks. The law states that you're entitled to at least 20 minutes' uninterrupted break when you work over six hours, but I can count on one hand the number of these breaks I actually received after working an average of four days a week for four months. Most of the time, if it was quiet enough, I would manage to get a 5-minute smoke break, but 15 minutes would be docked from my pay. The bar was pretty much always understaffed, so it was extremely stressful and customers would often complain that there wasn't enough bar staff available to serve them. Usually, when there are two people working on the bar, one would serve and the other would prepare drinks for restaurant table orders. So I would end up doing the job of two or even three people, for minimum wage, as well as no break, even after 10 or so hours. There was hardly any work/life balance at all as I was called in on my days off multiple times because of understaffing. I didn't personally get any of these shifts, but some staff would have split shifts where they'd start at 6:30am and not finish for the day until 10-11:30pm or even later, then be expected to be back in at the same time again in the morning. This is breaking yet another law surrounding rest breaks as you are entitled to 11 hours' rest between shifts. Everything that was promised in the job description was never given. No proper training, I was basically thrown straight into the job on my first day. I was expected to do a close-down by myself on my second shift after only being shown -

Too personal.

Very cliquey. If you don’t get on with certain individuals . Don’t expect to last there long. They will single staff out in a heartbeat. Also didn’t know how to clean a dishwasher until shown by then a new employee.

It was hard work and they don't listen to anything you have to say

My review is that I would have enjoyed the job more if the staff listened to me but they didn't so if I had a problem they thought I would be moaning but I wasn't

Horrible and bullying within the workplace

To start with the place was amazing great people to work for but unfortunately the GM left the people who took over IT was complete different story rude aggressive bully hand gestures behind peoples backs two-faced they work in the morning so you have to work1 pm till 12 am if not later because it suits them they don’t take into consideration you have a family or friends if you work at this restaurant thenyou work there live there eat breathe and sleep there quite often I was put on a close fully by a 6 am start always taking breaks off me never received one other than a five minute break usually if I could grab myself

Brilliant company to work for

Fantastic company to work for, still friends with many of the people I met there, hard work, fast paced which I like, due to the nature of the job your work life balance can be affected

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Beefeater. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement