Bestway Retail

Bestway Retail Employee Reviews

Wouldn’t know where to start from. Been with the company fair few years now the company couldn’t care less about the staff and is a prime example of “all the workers are just a number” the lack of communication is above and beyond abnormal in-fact it doesn’t exist. As usual the senior managers are cushty rolling in high salaries and rest of the staff are just there to do the job. The IT system is one of the oldest running systems in this day an age. The reason why most of the people stay there is due to the team not because of the company.
Pros
Good team atmosphere
Cons
Bad pay, staff are not valued, very poor communication
Worst company I have ever worked for. No breaks. Management had no clue what they were doing, also unless you were a favourite you wasn't treated fairly. Absolutely zero chance for career growth.Hardly any training - given keys to the shop and left alone after just two 4 hour shifts. Lone working even on nights - Extremely unsafe.Made to put huge deliveries away alone, while still being alone and having to serve customers. The only good part about this job was the customers.
Pros
customers
Cons
everything else
I enjoyed most of my 3 years at Central and made many friends with other managers across that time, and worked under 2 excellent area managers, who tried to help me progress and both had different styles. Unfortunately there was little chance of progression past Store Manager, despite promises that were made under the previous regime, and it was time to move on. Whilst working long weeks travelling all over the place to prove yourself and getting involved in company projects it becomes hard to turn back after rejection. I miss the people but not what the company had become.Under Bestway, the company has become more and more corporate, whilst working many stores are working on restricted hours. The culture during the P&H days was that of a family and as long as your store was making money and had great standards everything else was fine, along with regular trade shows/parties/days out.Salary was good for convenience retail, towards the higher end, but this to a large part has now changed and each store has a cap for salary.
Pros
Area Managers, Store Managers, The Staff
After working there for nearly 2 years, I have never wanted to escape a job so badly. From the very start I wish I could’ve enjoyed it but due to management it was hard. There was always people talking behind your back about you but never to you, the managers usually do this which is shocking. Lower staff there are so nice and deserve more than they get, mainly appreciation and respect. I recommend avoiding this company at all costs.
Pros
Cons
No appraisal, constant lone working, favouritism, no staff benefits, expected to work off your own time
Absolutely hated working there, dreaded every shift.They had me serving the customers during my interview without any warning.Management is awful and grumpy, never spoke to me when they came into the store. No real organisation or training structure.
Pros
None.
Cons
No benefits.
Good shop location, regular customers, awful management, they do not listen to staff, took me 6/7 months to receive post office training despite the pressures of only having 3 post office trained staff 1 being management that didn't work weekends.
Pros
Customer friendships
Cons
Management, no benefits or staff discount
You get treated like dirt, area manager and head office dont care about your wages or wellbeing. I was based on the isle of wight, I was acting deputy on sales assitant rate, I was constantly missing money, on 1 pay I was missing ÂŁ700. Over working due to lack of staff but understandable people not getting a job with this company constsnt broken promises, the list goes on. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Rubbish management, rubbish pay, treated like dirt and the list goes on.
Just don't do it to yourself.Having worked here after leaving another one of Bestways groups called Well I can without a doubt say they are one of the worst employers off the bat.There was poor leadership and management were just rude. No understanding of work life balance expecting you to just give up everything. Wife and kids were pretty fed up in the end of never seeing me.
Pros
Meeting new people who also hate the job
Cons
Pretty much all of it
* Low store budgets mean lone working shifts. * No care for staff safety* No communication between staff. Just pathetic bickering and backstabbing between them. * There is no difference between staff and management. Staff still have to cash up the tills and open the store in the morning or lock the store at night. * No company benefits * 4 hour contracts * Stock ordered never arrives. Shelves are constantly empty.
Pros
Cons
As listed above
You are requested to work over your contract and never get any time back absolutely no support from higher management the worst company I have ever worked for my advice is to keep Clear
Cons
Very long hours
Don't do it , the culture at bestway is a don't care one. There is always someone else to take your place. Because it is minimum wage they will take anyone, no disrespect meant but people don't stay long, some only 1day!
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
Once you're in you're forgotten about
I hated working at hilperton. The boss is an absolute joke and so are the area managers. No hygiene, filth everywhere and the way he treats the staff is horrific. Manager sits upstairs on his phone all day and does absolutely nothing leaving it all for the assistant manager to do. DO NOT WORK HERE
Pros
Assistant manager is an angel
Cons
The whole shop itself
Next to no training, lone working, shocking management, no breaks. Given a set of keys and told to basically get on with it. It was discussed in my interview that I wouldn’t be lone working until I told my line manager I felt comfortable. Turned out to be a lie as on my second week in I was lone working- didn’t feel comfortable at this point at all. Line manager told me I need to “man up”. Management don’t care about staff safety.
Pros
Cons
Management, low pay, no breaks and lone working
A 'could not care less' attitude permeates the entire business, division between head office and warehouse staff clearly defined. Opportunities for advancement highly limited and based upon time served, or who you know. A highly toxic environment to work in, largely a result of the attitude first mentioned. Please dont waste your time applying for work in the warehouse, it really is a road to nowhere
Great staff to work with and a relaxed atmosphere with a structured routine which is completed between staff who are on shift, Time to talk to customers and get to know them personally.
Pretty much promised everything you need to run a shop but never actually given, reduction in hours, staff, support etc. I called in sick for the first time in 3 years and all I got throughout my sickness was constant phone calls and texts telling me to go in, even when I said I can barely stand or stop shaking. Pretty much feel guilt tripped and pressured into working when you can barely leave your bed.
Stressful environment, underpaid/overworked, no support from higher up and very limited if at all progression possibilities! 8 hour shift only 20 minute break allowed which is a struggle to take anyway so end up not even taking it some days! No extra rates for working bank holidays etc like you would find at other competitive retailers.
I've always believed if a company treats their staff well then the staff will perform better and increase sales. If you want to work for a fair and just company, DON'T WORK HERE! Lone working, no breaks, no training, basically all staff just has to "get on with it". Managers are ignorant and ridiculous. Avoid
Responsible for a huge amount of cash handling under pressure for accuracy involving a multitude of duties and time management for minimum wage. Poor communication from management to staff. Customers and colleagues are the rewarding aspect when great service is provided.
Typical Retail - Minimum Wage - Store Managers Earn The Same As Customer Assistants In Morrison's. Stores are a hazard, all of them would fail EHO inspections
In my interview. The area manager was All promises. But Mostly lying. I was told 3 different Salaries. The highest at my Interview. Followed by 2 more after leaving the previous Job when it was too late to go back. they were ÂŁ3000 & ÂŁ4000 lower than what I agreed. I was promised support and training. All I got was a set of keys of the staff and a "there's your Store, get onit it." The Area Manager didn't even welcome me on my first day. I had to remind them when I was starting. I couldn't even get hold of them for 3 days. It is the most unprofessional company I have Ever worked for. Massive knock to your confidence.
  1. Employee reviews