Bestway Retail

Bestway Retail Employee Reviews

United Kingdom50 reviews

storeshifttrainingmanagercarecustomerbadbreak

Yeah no

I spent a majority of my time as a sales assistant doing the managerial duties without the pay the whole experience was mind numbing boring with no gratitude from the management or they did was focus on the bad thing that we did not the good things we achieved they were always knocking you down never supporting youb

Pros

Cons

Long hours lack of gratitude no job satisfaction

Good fun

Very hard work management do not listen. Role is not 40 hrs as stated sometimes 50 or 60 hrs always responsible for picking up shifts when others are sick

Insights into Bestway Retail

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Horrible place to work

Staff are sneaky and two-faced. Manager doesn't do much to help either, promises thing's and doesn't deliver. Started fine with hours then suddenly dropped drastically so had to leave.

Pros

Cons

Neeky staff, long hours, no breaks not worth the money whatsoever

Not worth

Company is not that bad to work for but the depot I worked had highly unprofessional management with limited knowledge of management skills. If you are willing to advance in your career than you must have the skills to buttering them.

Need to be able to work on your own initiative

Can be stressful with stores generally running on very tight hours. Absence is high and there always seems to be vacancies that the store struggles to fill. if you have ability you can advance

Wouldn't recommend working for them

The company does not care about its staff what so ever.It is a rubbish company to work for.No regular shifts each weekHours change all the time.Nobody to get answers fromNo care attitude

Great place to work, great people to work with. Company has had troubles in the past but is going through some big changes with a bright looking future ahead.

AVOID WORKING HERE!! Shocking environment to work in with you always being picked on for the smallest things.

The management always pick on you to complete every task even though they give you unrealistic expectations. They also won't do anything in the day so expect deliveries and all the jobs to be done in the afternoon because the management say they can't be asked so they just sit in the office all day and go out for smoke breaks every 20 minutes. A lot of the time you are working on your own and have to struggle to do tasks between customers who also aren't the nicest to you. And expect the management to be corrupt by getting their spouse to come in and work as another management position whilst working the same hours.

Pros

Cons

Everything to do with the job

Awful Company which has been in ongoing change for over 3 years.

Awful Company which has been in ongoing change for over 3 years.Dates booked off for holiday approved then taken away then moaned at by management for this mistakeNo uniform while having worked there for a year and a halfNo Training when started! Incorrect pay all the timeStressful hours and stressful workComplained to HR of which responded that they wouldn’t do anything because I was leaving due to these issues.Managers don’t care, colleagues don’t care, HR doesn’t care and no support given. Do not work for Central if you want: social life, proper living wage, normal hours, support by colleagues and managers

Pros

N/a

Cons

see above

A Shocking Organisation! Stay Well Clear

Wow! Where do we start!A Company that has no duty of care for its staff.A toxic culture runs all the way through the business.Heath & safety doesn't exist!As for the 3 guys who run the regional! Unprofessional and unfit for the roles!For your own sanity stay well clear!

Pros

Staff don't last very long

Cons

How long have you got!

A business on a journey.

If you want to work somewhere you can make a difference in retail this is it. Firstly this is 3 different business coming together, that makes things complex, challenging yet exciting and gives you the opportunity to influence business wide agendas.

Pros

Good pay, promotion prospects, work life balance, ability to make a difference.

Cons

Disparate systems and processes driven from 3 operating companies.

Avoid

The place is going down the pan. People are leaving like rats leaving a sinking ship. It used to be a great place and the people still are but they are being run into the ground

Avoid

Absolutely terrible. Nasty culture of backstabbing and snitching amongst staff. Management is constantly on your back for the tiniest things. I was trained to do a particular process by management when I first joined and was praised for being able to do so efficiently. Months later it became clear that I was not meant to know how to do this as a sales assistant. The blame was put on me even though I had blatantly been misguided by the more senior staff. I was inexperienced in retail when I first started working here. After about a week I was doing shift on my own. Customers would ask for things or ask questions and I didn’t have the training or knowledge to answer. Really uncomfortable and embarrassing. Company struggles to hire staff because their reputation as an employer is so bad. As a consequence staff members are put under extra pressure and forced to work terrible hours that they didn’t agree to.The manager was an absolute live wire and there would often be drama because of the way customers and staff would be spoken to. Any answering back would be taken as a threat to their authority and they would often get angry and irate. Very unprofessional.

Pros

None.

Cons

The whole experience.

Avoid at all costs!

Thinking about applying for a job with Bestway Retail or any of their associated brands (Bargain Booze, Costcutter etc)? Do your mental well-being a favour and look elsewhere. There are literally no employee benefits anymore, no reward and recognition, no career or development opportunities and not even basic training for your role. The systems and infrastructure are extremely outdated and the company heavily relies on the goodwill of overworked, underpaid and poorly treated colleagues. The retail business is mashed together of acquisitions from struggling competitors, failed businesses or companies saved from imminent collapse.A quick Google search of the brands will show recent history of a struggling company that will likely fail in the long term.

Pros

Literally nothing

Cons

No training, not provided with the resources to succeed, many unpaid hours.

Use and abuse staff

They don't care about there staff run the in to the ground with little contracts but loads of hours to the point you make self ill Staff turn over so high. They use you fauls promises all the time

Pros

Cons

Dont care

Dreadful company to work for

They took over a great shop that all the villagers loved - and did their whole weekly shop in - and turned it into a junk food shop , full of alcohol, vapes and poor quality food that was delivered loose and squashed in crates and with very short sell by dates. The fresh veg was always of poor quality and often mouldy - but still expensive. Regular customers had to shop elsewhere as could no longer get what they needed from us and staff who have left as no longer being happy there have never been replaced putting extreme pressure on those who are left. There has been no interest in sorting out the rat problem and the toilet is cracked and broken and the sink hanging off the wall. Nowhere to have a break and the shop is freezing cold. Not enough staff to ever get any cleaning done and to just have one person on in the evenings to manage the busy shop and post office is downright dangerous. I have worked in this shop for 21 years and thoroughly enjoyed it until Bestway took over and totally spoilt it.

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

Lack of staff, bad pay, not being appreciated in any way, and not listened to. Selling junk food and being an embarrassment to work for

Horrendous

If you like being treated like dirt, not having anytime off, working for below minimum wage, working in dangerous and unsafe conditions... then this is the job for you. No one has a clue what they're doing. Head office are inadequate in every way possible. Area Managers are clueless and wouldn't even be hired as a supervisor with any other company. Incompetent from the top to the bottom. No training, poor pay, no respect. Poisonous.

Pros

Free Sandwiches, free hot food and free coffee

Cons

Long hours, no proper training, called in on days off, bullying atmosphere

Horrendous!

Minimum wage for maximum detriment to your well-being! Absolutely no support from management. Employees behave like best friends face to face but have more than plenty to say when each other’s backs are turned. One rule for one, one rule for another. Unrealistic expectations for tasks given within time constraints. If your face doesn’t fit or you have less than two of them, you might as paint a huge target on your back! By far the worst place I have worked! It seems to be the general consensus across the company rather than isolated stores too.

The worst company ever

Wouldn’t know where to start from. Been with the company fair few years now the company couldn’t care less about the staff and is a prime example of “all the workers are just a number” the lack of communication is above and beyond abnormal in-fact it doesn’t exist. As usual the senior managers are cushty rolling in high salaries and rest of the staff are just there to do the job. The IT system is one of the oldest running systems in this day an age. The reason why most of the people stay there is due to the team not because of the company.

Pros

Good team atmosphere

Cons

Bad pay, staff are not valued, very poor communication

Avoid at all costs

Worst company I have ever worked for. No breaks. Management had no clue what they were doing, also unless you were a favourite you wasn't treated fairly. Absolutely zero chance for career growth.Hardly any training - given keys to the shop and left alone after just two 4 hour shifts. Lone working even on nights - Extremely unsafe.Made to put huge deliveries away alone, while still being alone and having to serve customers. The only good part about this job was the customers.

Pros

customers

Cons

everything else

Was Great Until Bestway Took Over

I enjoyed most of my 3 years at Central and made many friends with other managers across that time, and worked under 2 excellent area managers, who tried to help me progress and both had different styles. Unfortunately there was little chance of progression past Store Manager, despite promises that were made under the previous regime, and it was time to move on. Whilst working long weeks travelling all over the place to prove yourself and getting involved in company projects it becomes hard to turn back after rejection. I miss the people but not what the company had become.Under Bestway, the company has become more and more corporate, whilst working many stores are working on restricted hours. The culture during the P&H days was that of a family and as long as your store was making money and had great standards everything else was fine, along with regular trade shows/parties/days out.Salary was good for convenience retail, towards the higher end, but this to a large part has now changed and each store has a cap for salary.

Pros

Area Managers, Store Managers, The Staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bestway Retail. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement