Betfred logo
Betfred

Betfred Employee Reviews

Assistant Sales Manager - Former Employee

I started this job back in September 2019 and it was something different to what I have done in the past, then in July 2020 was moved to another shop within my area after a disagreement with my friend who I got job for. After being moved, everything was going good for me, even applied for Deputy Manager's job at the shop I was moved from, didn't get it, yet was told by Management that they would be putting together a course and I would be put forward for it, this never happened. More recently I was let go after a petty minded mistake which I owned up too, yet somehow things seem to have be twisted by putting the blame on me. I have an appeal meeting this week to determined what the final outcome will be. In my personal opinion here, Management can be alright yet I don't like being treated the way I have been and I don't like how they allow other employees to get away with far more than what my mistake was.

Stressful workplace

You can never be free on weekends Sometimes you have to work 12 hours Have to work evenings Rude customersHave to work in multiple shopsHave to work back to back (for example you might finish at 10 still next day you will open at 7)

Cons

Management are terrible, the atmosphere is awful. The stress from the customers can be horrific especially in some shops where English isn’t the first language. They pay is terrible, the bonus if you can call it a bonus isn’t worth it and is taxed. No sick pay. Avoid at all costs

Wouldn't recommend.. AVOID

Long days (14hr days) mainly on your own. Can work 70+hr weeks. No work/ social/family life balance. Will rush you through training to their advantage then leave you on your own to make mistakes, then discipline you for it. Tight on following security guidelines but will bend covid guidelines to benefit them. Don't care about staff's wellbeing/health/mental health. Expected to do 10pm closes then back in for 8am open.

Good friendly team

Apart from only being paid 80% for subsequent lockdowns and not getting our bonuses and having to work long hours i enjoyed working for the company and will liss some of the customers

Horrible Place

Expected to work alone from 8am to 10pm on many occasions, if your ever offered a management position, turn it down. Cashier only works from 12 till 4, if they give you 1, can't take holidays because management is constantly phoning for you to cover.

Cons

Worst place I have ever worked

Management expect you to train yourself and and use ‘autonomy’ but then they proceed to train others they prefer/like under special classrooms with far greater support. The favouritism in that place is atrocious.The staff were great people, but the management is the absolute worst. They would land on you like a ton of bricks if you even have the slightest question to ask them to help you in ‘training’ yourself. They even went as far as fabricating details to dismiss staff on those grounds!Dodgy workplace, from a dodgy company that has a reputation (as you may seen on the news!)AVOID!

Pros

Dress down days

Cons

Worst type of training, favouritism, dodgy work ethics.

Major let down

This company was amazing when I first started but after a few weeks you start too realise it’s not what you know it’s WHO you know! Admin never answer the phones, Area managers are never available, Your opinions don’t matter, your ideas are stupid and you are used beyond belief! The pay is ridiculous for the job we do to be honest, we handle a large quantity of cash at times which can be dangerous these days for mere £9 per hour, the line worker policy is ridiculous also it’s not very safe or comforting knowing your sat on your own on a night with a safe full of money when admin, area managers and security don’t answer the phones or buzzers! If it wasn’t for my colleagues and customers I wouldn’t be working here but they make my everyday working life bearable. Avoid working here if your a sensitive person or have no patience because you need a lot of both for this job!

Pros

Great customers

Cons

Long hours, own little bubbles, lone working, being used

Worse place to work ever

All in all the company is the worst i have worked for, management isnt a thing eith the company you have to work by yourself to find out how things are done. Understaffed so you have to oick up the extra hours they get all annoyed if you dont do extra hours some times they just throw you the extra with no advice and will also trasnfer your contract to other shops without any prior notice would never suggest this company to anyone

Cons

Worst place you will ever work the head office management are disgusting well not all of them just a few! Good luck to anyone who is desperate enough to need a job. New starters leave after a day laughable

Pros

Non

Jobs at Betfred

See more jobs

Poor treatment of staff

Poor management above the shop level, barely any communication from them and almost as if they live in a different worked. No other incentive to go above and beyond for the company as you can only earn your hourly rate, which is poor regardless. Staff incentives are rare and don’t really reflect the work you are asked to do.

Cons

Long hours, low rate of pay, no incentive to do more.

Depressing work place

Working for Betfred is very depressing. You have no social life. Don’t get sick pay or double time from working a bank holiday or Christmas. You have to work a 14 hour shift on your own and without a break. There isn’t no communication in the company.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. Dead end job. Cannot proceed within the company

Very fast paced

Can be very stressful .long hours . The job is what you make it . Some days very slow other days you don't stop for example big race day meetings. Awhile since working there so things have changed alot since the covid lockdowns.

Pros

Fun what you make it.

Cons

Long hours often lone working for 3hrs of an 8hr shift

Relax working depends on shop manager

I have been working 14 years in Betfred and great to work it’s depends what we are looking for post pandemic It’s fine to work Get holidays , overtime if available. Management is good

Pros

Flexibility and stability

Cons

Long late hours

Good if you have no life ambitions

Dying trade, can just sit there for hours with no one coming in. Can be a laugh with some customers and getting good coworkers always help. Owner loves the sound of his own voice and doesn't look after his staff

Pros

Rotas can suit you, decent staff

Cons

Dying industry. Customers can be rude, the owner is a money grabbing git

Don’t go there

Worst company I’ve ever worked for upper management are useless and unfair. If you are not in with the in crowd they will do anything to get rid of you. They don’t seem to have a HR department or if they have there useless as well.

Pros

Cons

Long hours poor pay and poor upper management

Interesting and comfortable place to work but poor company management and pay.

During my time at Betfred, I’ve built up a few pros and cons for working with the company. Pros - A mostly sit down job.You meet some great people. Opportunities to work yourself up the ladder. You gain a lot of useful skills for the future. Relatively easy if you do all your research. Cons - Poor company management. Very long hours (14/15 hours for a full shift).Pay rate is very poor considering the lengthy hours. Company will not hesitate to sack you if you make any sort of inconvenience to them. You will run into a lot of A holes, wether it be staff or customers. There is a lot to take in, especially if you are not a sports person, you will need to do your homework if you want to succeed in this place. Higher management will pick favourites, and there will be a lot of back stabbing and gossip that will fly around. Bank holiday and late Sunday work (unsure if they allow religious holidays). Betfred is a good place to work if you want to start looking for work experience, if you can turn a blind eye to all the work drama it really isn’t so bad. I do think Fred should be paying his staff more than what he is at this current time, since Betfred is known for being one of the best bookies on the highstreet (Fred prides himself on this) and in some areas, they are the bookies that are open the latest. The company does offer paid maternity leave, you are entitled to so many paid holidays a year also. Regular staff competitions where your shop could win vouchers, money etc.

Pros

Relaxed work

Cons

Work drama

Low pay, don’t support the staff

Mercenary company. Awful middle management. 20 year old computer equipment and obsolete till software. Oddball/scrotey punters they refuse to bar..

Pros

Banter is good sometimes

Cons

Greedy about customer credit abandoned on FOBT machines

Not a great place

Long hours their not flexible with their hours you need to be at your desk the exact time you are due to start. You can't leave until the exact time your due to finish. Your shouted at for talking or even walking over to someone's desk. You need to be in the office during the pandemic with hundreds of other staff no windows either one loo . I left as they don't care about staff only productivity. They opened the office when the government told business not to. you can't be in your parents house right now but your supposed to work in an office with no windows with hundreds of staff, that shows me they only care about productivity making money and being old fashioned managers then anything else. They still live in the 80s.

Pros

Cons

Prison for an office. Old fashioned rules.

Turn around and find something better

The worst of the worst!! Rubbish pay and they will work you half to death. They don’t care about staff at all and just want bums on seats to get the vile abuse people think they are entitled to throw at you because they have lost money. They don’t train staff enough to deal with any hostile situations and you will have hostile situations. They should state desired experience in a cafe because all you will be doing is making teas and coffees.

Pros

You won’t feel bad when walking out and leaving them.

Cons

Everything. Every single thing about this company is a con!

Not great

Better off working for paddy or williamhill, upper management constantly looking for any reason to fire you if you even dare to question their leadership or suggest improvements can be made. Basically do as you're told question nothing we know best.

Pros

Easy to get in

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Betfred. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7