Bill's Restaurants
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Bill's Restaurants Employee Reviews

United Kingdom282 reviews

waiterfoodchefchargefreekitchenshiftstaff

Service charge is a scam

My time there varied depending on management, but the biggest downfall was not seeing any of the service charge and being asked to tell customers we did receive it when that in fact wasn’t true. It helps pay for staff meals and whatever else they want to use it for really

Great people, good environment

Been working at bills for a while now and just stepped up to management, always a good buzz from the team. Lots of good comms from higher management regarding how to look after the team during busy periods which is always nice to see.

Pros

Meals on shift

Insights into Bill's Restaurants

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

After Covid its not the same

After Covid all standards went down, too many cuts of staff benefits, such a low standards to be a manager which produces low quality management. There is also a funny trend of people going from Bills to Cote & the other way round. Cannot differentiate which company is worse.

decent job, room for some pay progression

pretty easy job, gets into a good routine and hours arent too bad. management and colleagues all friendly, occasional shifts where there is a serious lack of staff but thats the same everywhere. downside is that they closed down my branch but what can you do.

Pros

good discounts

Cons

shut down my branch

Do not treat staff fairly.

The higher up staff take the service charge, you never see it and you aren’t allowed to tell customers that. They put you on stand by shifts where you have to be ready to work if they need you without paying you a retainer. Also the restaurant is extremely unhygienic.

Busy but the team make it fun

This restaurant is very busy but the team make it better. Good management and other waiters very friendly. Always get free drinks and food which is a plus!

Pros

Free food/drink

fun but stressful

stressful, busy all the time, managers were disorganised and you were often pushed into weekend shifts which was lame. the other waiters were nice tho

Flexible and enjoyable work place

Fantastic working environment and great management . Free food every shift. Sometimes very busy but there is always someone to offer help if needed. A workplace you are excited to go to every shift.

Great Place

The team itself are amazing and I had a lot of relevant training, however shifts can be fairy long. Pay is very good and all staff are allowed to keep tips and gain a portion of service charge.

A fun and progressive company

A fun and progressive company to work for. I feel that Bill's really care for and look after their team members and I am happy to grow and progress with this restaurant group

Take your on card tips.

Bills although some of the staff are lovely and genuinely cool people the overall running is poor. They say all the service charge is distributed amongst all the staff and that money that is paid on top of the service charge (which are tips) go to you which is a complete lie as at my time working there I did not receive the tips I was supposed to. The actual respect and treatment of staff at this place is just terrible. The amount of managers they went through this past year whilst I was there was crazy and a terrible working environment as there were rules changing every week.

Avoid it at any costs

People full of promises who are expecting miracles and don’t keep their promises and don’t give anything in return!!! Certain floor staff are not team players too!!!

Productive and educational

It was a fun place to work really good people and good support from other colleges and management , taught me good communication skills and time management

Very full on but loved it

Loved to work in this restaurant, they chanced on me as I had no experience but I felt like I fit in so well. Everyone gets on fantastically and the management are great: they all help out when needed and are very considerate of the staff's wellbeing. I was given 5 pay raises and 2 promotions during the year I worked there. You get free coffee/tea and food on shift. Only problem is the kitchen and floor are chronically understaffed and it's an extremely busy restaurant, so service is often slowwww. But thoroughly recommend this restaurant as somewhere to work.

Fun but not perfect.

I’ve been at Bill’s for a year or so and have seen the company I joined change multiple times with the current economic state we’re in. The management are great, the culture is fun and all about making it special for guests, the hours aren’t that bad compared to some awful places I’ve worked and I get paid overtime even on salary. The only issue is that the firm favourites of the menu and the popular dishes keep being phased out for trendy dishes and the drinks menu is a little uninspired but I came from a mixologist and foodie background so maybe I’m being picky.

Pros

Discounts, good hours, good management, free meals on shift

Cons

Changes come quickly, upper management doesn’t always stay the same, menu changes are erratic.

Stressful but generally nice staff

The environment is incredibly stressful which is not helped by the management. I also completely disagree with the way service charge is done as it was not explained when I applied. Because it “tops-up” our pay, we get virtually no tips as people believe we receive service.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Service Charge

Good starting job but I wouldn’t stay too long

I worked at bills for two years. Working at bills was a great first job they took me on with no experience and trained me to be a really good server however after a while I started getting fed up with working there as it was very cliquey mangers we’re more like friend to some staff and often had clear favourites. Pay is good but tips are bad. The kitchen like most places is the worst very rude and messes up orders all the time but blame seemed to always fall on the waiting staff. Not very chill even when the place is dead they will find you some pointless task. They told me after about three months they would promote me but didn’t end up doing so until after around 8. They take EVERYTHING very seriously so even is you make one silly mistake expect to be called up on it. Where possible they will give you regular shifts which is nice and it’s very easy to book time off. Over Good place however you get sick of it quite quickly.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Rude kitchen staff

Good Company tough industry

Bill's is a good company to work and most of the people there are great. My Area manager was amazing and supportive. The Negative is not related to Bill's itself but to the Hospitality industry in general and how it really pushes employers to try and squeeze the most out of their employees. A commercial kitchen is a "high-stress-always running-working at 100% effort" from the moment you get there until you get to go home.Hospitality means that when everyone is having a great time (weekends, holidays, special occasions) is when you are the busiest, so yeah it's tough, mentally and physically.Bill's offered the best balance of work-life in the hospitality sector that I have seen in a while and they pay a bit over the average, so not bad.

Pros

Good pay, free lunch, great free coffee, good equipment, full uniform provided.

Cons

Long hours, always busy, very physical, stressfull.

good staf morale but very stressful

whilst the role has alot of benefits prepare to rarely get out on time, high volumes of stress and a very fast pace. if you have good coping mechanisms for stress this job is great - team morale helps with keeping a possitive attitude but alot is expected from you.

Review

The pay is really good and you get flexible hours and can book off certain days if you can’t work them. However, there is a bit of favouritism with who gets more hours.

Managment gone down hill

started off amazing with a fun team and understanding and patience management. old management left for bigger and better things. new management have no sympathy and would rather work waiters into the ground rather than get their hands a little dirty and help at busy times. They have no idea how a restaurant works and it shows.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bill's Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Bill's Restaurants with

Learn about Bill's Restaurants in popular locations

• Bill's Restaurants
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?