Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck, University of London: 29 Employee Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews

Excellent

Very friendly work place always helpful people around to help you with your duties and daily briefing people are welcome to come and share your experience

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

8 to 9 hours

Fantastic place to work

There is a Very supportive work environment. There are lots of opportunities and great colleagues. The research environment is vibrant. The students are enthusiastic

Pros

Flexible working

Insights into Birkbeck, University of London

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Clear sense of purpose

Fun/fast paced at times

Great place to work, great staff and students, environment is constantly being updated so plenty to do, potential to be advanced in with in house trainingWould work there again

Pros

Flexible, fun

Exciting and fun workplace

Varied work, with the means to work alongside all other departments. Supportive management and colleagues. Nice office environment to work in at an easily accessible location.

Birkbeck is a friendly and relaxed place to work.

Very productive and a fun place to work. Our team is very supportive and we have a very good and supportive management team. The students are great to teach. they are eager to learn which makes delivery much easier. I would recommend working at Birkbeck University to anyone.

Pros

It is in Central London and is surrounded by other member colleges of the University of London.

Cons

Working hours are in the evenings to facilitate the students who work during the day.

Bullying and Incompetent

Nearly 13 years here made intolerable by a cowardly and incompetent Human Resources department. I implemented and maintained a new payroll system for the whole college in my first two years. HR refused to use and maintain data correctly, flouted Data Protection and abandoned all statutory returns. My own management did not support when I raised my concerns. I resigned.

Pros

Cons

Ill disciplined and incompetent

Fun workplace

I have done a couple of summer school programs at Birkbeck, helping to facilitate mock trials for summer school students who were thinking of going into Law. Everyone I encountered at Birkbeck was so helpful, I would 100% recommend.

Pros

Loads of space to create and learn.

Cons

No cons for me.

Part time exam invigilator job

A good place to work. Support is given where necessary and the exam team are very approachable. They send a timetable out so you can apply for the invigilating jobs for when you are free. The only downside is that you only get allocated a fraction of what you apply for.

Good learning environment

Good learning environment for both young and matured students willing to better themselves by combining work and education. This is made possible by the evening classes available.

Nice place to work

I really enjoyed working here, very varied job role, and no day was ever the same, each day was different. I worked in a really supportive team and had a fantastic team leader.

A great place to work

My time overall at Birkbeck was a good experience. I have nothing bad to say, I would certainly consider working with them again, but in a different capacity.

Very good place to work

A typical day at work involved invigilating during variety of examinations.This involves collecting exam paperwork from office, setting up the exam room, calling students in and beginning the exam.

Not for me

Institution is struggling right now and it shows. Staff are struggling to manage workload over mass exodus following severance package offers. Getting out before departments merge.

Pros

Good pay, great collagues

Cons

Difficult workload

Supportive and friendly workplace

Felt genuinely valued and encouraged to develop my skills and take on new responsibilities. The organisation has constantly successfully adapted to change over the time I’ve been there.

Pros

Friendly and supportive

Cons

Rigid hierarchy sometimes

Many Benefits, Flawed Work Environment

Birkbeck have a great office environment as everyone helps each other is their roles. As Birkbeck has increased in size, the college has had difficulty employing the correct number of staff with the relevant work experience. Admin staff roles have a particularly high turnover due to the high numbers of students, stressful job expectation and nothing in place for a formal handover when new staff start. the benefit of a very high discount (90%) from course fee is meant to compensate for the fect that pays less than equivalent colleges in central london. Being a student is very rewarding at Birkbeck and if you wish for a cost effective way of getting a postgraduate degree.

Pros

Study support scheme (90%+ discount from courses offered at BBK), good office environment

Cons

large workload and stressful work environment during busiest time of year, managerial hierarchy prone to nepotism and cronyism.

Challenging yet Rewarding

A typical day was challenging; I was required to undertake a variety of tasks, many of which were expected to be performed at short notice. I found the management of an increasing workload especially difficult, but seeing the results of my work and the completion of individual projects was particularly rewarding. Above all, my time management and flexible working skills have improved enormously as a result of this experience. Birkbeck is a very sociable place to work with friendly and supportive colleagues, but my line management could have been more encouraging of my professional development and progression. On the whole, I have gained valuable professional experience and skills as a result of working here.

Pros

Sociable and supportive colleagues

Cons

Increasing workloads

CBCD is not a friendly place to work. Not welcoming, too competitive.

I don't know other departments and other labs but the Psychology Department and especially Babylab is not friendly. No orientation, no welcoming. People do not talk to each other. They don't even greet each other. So they don't know each other's works and they can't collaborate. The first email you receive is not to say hello but to say what you are not allowed to. It is also common to receive emails like "who did my porridge in the fridge?" or "this is not a place to chat if you want to chat go out of the building and chat there!" or "close the database!". People eat their sandwiches at their desks. I can't say enough. It is the most unfriendly place I have ever seen.

Pros

Flexible working hours

Cons

Unfriendly atmosphere

Good work opportunity, poor management

Great opportunity to lecture at a good university with interested students. Management and bureaucracy made day-to-day activities a little bit difficult to perform.

Great university

Great place to work, nice people, good salary. Location is in central London, nice and modern building. Only reason I left was because of lack of advancement in my role.

Great experience in Brand Amabassador

When you are the face of the university to new and potential students, you must transmit them the great energy you feel at the campus. Not only as a student but part of the academia world. Birkbeck has amazing features like evening study, job wise opportunities and a job consultancy department where tailored job offers are given to our students!

Pros

Great team work

Cons

Short hours

Fun workplace

A very fun and dynamic place to work with plenty of opportunities. The environment is safe and pleasant. My role is very rewarding and challenging at the same time. There is a lot of expectations and I am in a target driven environment.

Pros

diverse work culture

Cons

Evening hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birkbeck, University of London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement