Birmingham City Council

• Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

not bad

Only did seasonal work but was overall a decent experience. was a bit cold but `I understand this wasn’t the fault of the council due to the nature of work being carried out.

Pros

pay

Cons

Stressful but opportunities to move up are given

As a Customer Service Advisor I work in the Council Tax, Rents and Housing Benefit team. It is very stressful and I feel overworked and underpaid. Still a good company overall but needs some improvements such as higher salaries and more work/life balance but this is more specific to my job role. I'm sure other roles within the company are much better for being more relaxed.Eventually you will be able to move up in the company but you will need to stay at the company for a while before doing so.

Pros

Good to have the Council listed on your CV. Opportunities are available to move up.

Cons

Stressful, overworked and underpaid, lack of progression in curren role etc

Fab

This is a Fab place to work with a great team. The management are pleasant. I enjoy the flexibility and team approach there is. We all look after one another.

Pros

Good team

Cons

its a great fun to work for Birmingham city council

Birmingham city council is a equal opportunity employer providing equality in housing service delivery to all its clients. Birmingham city council ensures equal access for all its employees to climb the ladder of progression and above all its work force is reflective of all its ethnic minority communities.Its a great fund working for Birmingham city council

Clique culture

It wasn’t what you knew but who and who was in charge of you were not in the clique then you were not getting promoted, so many good experienced capable candidates were passed over for members of the clique regardless of ability.It was demotivating so many stopped applying for senior roles as never stood a chance

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Inadequate managers

Productive and interesting

Worked 4 years -stressful at times senior management team were useless and ruined a great company, got rid of good people who could have made a difference staff turnover was an issue but colleagues were brilliant !

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Productive and fun place to work and great opportunities

Working with Birmingham City Council was one of the place I enjoyed working and meeting new people who have a great understanding of their job and always willing to help and give advice and guidance in any given cercumstancis, also the manager and senior advisor always willing to help and guide you if there is a problem with a customer or point you to the right direction in any given time or cercumstancis. And they have a lot of respect for everyone no matter your age race or gender, was a pleasure working there.

Pros

No free lunch lol

Cons

Great working hours, can have staff working weekends too

Traffic consultant

I was lucky enough to be part of cohort of diverse people living in Birmingham whom the council needed feedback and ideas about proposed traffic improvements within the city plus other topics of relevant conversation/discussions. We also went out on and around the Birmingham area promoting council lead initiatives, and participation in other interesting activities. I knew working with the council would be exciting.

Pros

Being treated like a human being who had rights

Cons

Only lasted 3 months

A job to tide you over till a real job comes along

Managers are never available for call backs. The front line staff is bombarded with calls with hardly any direction. The turnover is swift, and no room for advancement

Pros

Paycheck

Cons

Queues of calls, no visible managers, abusive callers

Work place

It was hard work and supportive and work was regular. They made sure that you were able to access the right training. The shifts could be last minute so you need to be available at a drop of a hat.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Work shifts could be last minute

Time in the council

Never a dull dayI could be standing in for a work colleague that's ither off sick or on holiday, so I must be ready to meet a new challenge everyday. I could also as a driver follow up some missed collections.All the different scenarios and different work colleagues daily. I will also interact with the general public being the voice of reason trying to help wherever if possible and if not reporting any issues to help the general public.Finally I must manage my team and look after my vehicle reporting any problems I may encounter.

Pros

Left to your own devices

Cons

Trivial paper work on minor issues, which then cause the real and main issues to be left to develop, when they should be taken care of

Lovely job if you are young

management not so good they say it take round about 9 mths management wont you to learn within 2 weeks if you dont they get rid of you just like that

Pros

Early finish

Cons

Staff are nasty, you have to buy your own tea or coffee, and take your own food

Inner city school

Working in an inner city school personally for me was amazing. To be able to work with adults and students of different cultures and religions and from different cultural backgrounds.Also, to be able to build an amazing bond between the students I worked with and watching them achieve, grow was extremely rewarding.

Pros

To be responsible for building confidence in a child

Cons

Too much paperwork, rather than spending time with the children

Overall Experience of working for BCC

I worked for BCC for nearly 25 years and I gave my ore. I was loyal and hardworking. But when they know u know they are corrupt they will get u out of there. Children’s Services just like to brush problems under carpets and NEVER deal with problematic staff.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Horrendous Management

Good workplace

Great place to work particularly if you are indigenous to Birmingham. This makes you more committed to the region. Priorities and tasks changed daily.....really nice people on the whole. Some senior managers lacked clarity and communication and forward planning......naive management at times observed bordering on bullying...but that seems the same or worse at other companies....sign of the times. I would recommend them as an employer.

Bad

Birmingham city Council did not care about your wellbeing,especially grade 2,I did great work for them and then I had a nervous breakdown that I ended up in hospital

fun and productive

can be stressful as they are lots of things you have to do. I mainly did admin for the first day like printing or sorting papers out which needed to go in the printer.

No comments

I work for Birmingham Council for 11 years at first it was OK. By my last threw years there it was awful the manger don't no how to. Talk to staff and become we were cleaners we got treat different they are some clever people on the cleaning staff its just that they have not had the breaks in life we went to work to do are best and do the best we cud not get talk to like kids

Good

My review satisfied really happy in myself confidence with my job learning new things every day.some times it can be quite challenging from day to day.

Great work team

Very good team work, well looked after with training ongoing; learning new ways of doing work efficiently and fair pay with varying projects. good promotion progression .

fun

Great People, Great fun , friendly place . Was made welcome straight away , even though it was work experience they treated me with respect . Got great experience from great people.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement