Birmingham City University

Birmingham City University Employee Reviews

I enjoy the work environment and the facilities on offer. The University should consider bringing the library into the main building annexe. The cafeteria can be upgraded.
Pros
Close to train stations
Cons
Needs more Computer Labs
Administration systems don’t work as they should and whole days are spent trying to work around these problems. There’s a working culture based around moaning and complaining about things, combined with an overall sense of apathy that things don’t work as they should. I found it incredibly frustrating to work in such a dysfunctional environment and left. On leaving I struggled to get HR to provide a simple job reference, through no fault of my own, leaving me jobless for several months and sending emails which either bounced back or got ignored. Emails to payroll also went unanswered. To be avoided if you want to keep your sanity.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Things don’t work properly
Such a large and diverse team, very welcoming and inclusive. The management team are very informative and like to keep and close relationship with their colleagues. Very professional.
this was the first job that i had, such that decided to leave after 5 months. I had no support from my manager who contantly undermined me and went straight to my staff rather than come through me and regulaly negate any thing I had agreed with them Urge you not to go there
Pros
work flexibility
Cons
lack of support from management
Just a shame that work is only seasonal, it was a calm, welcoming, and friendly environment, where everyone was open to helping. An enjoyable job, if you love talking to people.
Pros
Free lunch.
A complex organisation focused on getting the best results for its students. Level of staff very professional and committed to the task of delivering best possible outcomes. Collaborative culture, multi cultural and harmonious in nature. Generally long hours but an enjoyable place to work Excellent systems and working environment
Being a student ambassador at BCU was a fun way to earn a bit of money, whilst being a student. Uniform and casual training was provided. Process was all very easy.
During my time at BCU I was asked to be a Student Representative. The role prepared me for working closely with students and tutors to enhance learning.
I had a hard time with this university due being dyslexic, no support, don't really understand a person with dyslexic with remember loss due to exams conditions which my dyslexic , wouldn't recommend
very friendly and supportive staff at the work. Always care about colleague . Flexible work culture and have the opportunity to give your opinion during monthly meeting.
Good place to work. One can learn new things. Focus of the university is learning in easy way and my individual experience has been very nice. Faculty is very supportive.
Working in the uni that I am currently studying is pretty good. They provide you with everything. The only downside is that timetables are not as flexible as you might like.
As a student demonstrator I only worked a few hours a week. during them few few hours i recived all the help I would need and really enjoyed it. Would recomend
very nice place to work, good team, good environment, easy job, pay not very good but fair for the work which was easy. would work there again if role came up.
Got to take charge of situations and interact with lots of people in a friendly and fast paced environment. Meeting lots of different people of all levels of education and encouraging prospective new students feel welcome.
Good place to work, can be a little dysfunction. There is often a divide between academics and support staff. Opportunities for advancement and help with future careers
I was a student here, as an online masters student in psychology I had a great experience. The professors are passionate and great to work with. I love the system where all the deadlines and assignments are upfront. So if you want to do all assignments in the first month you can. You can work according to your own schedule, at your own pace. Miles better than my last university where assignments where given two weeks beforehand in which just creates stress for no reason. The lectures are engaging and the range of topics covered is varied, the assignments are given where open-ended. So I could focus on one topic throughout building a portfolio of research on a specific topic I wanted to focus on, which is great.
Flexible work and great management team. Many opportunities for training. Great people to work with. Always busy and get to meet different people from all walks of life
I loved learning about different topics whilst supporting different students, and empowering them to achieve their full potential whilst studying at university. The lecturers are all wonderful and supportive of their students too.
Great place to study, good educational place, great lecturers, nice environment to be studying in. I really enjoyed my time there and would recommend to anyone.
A good place to work if you're a student here, salary is good and your constantly learning and figuring out queries that will occur in a certain section of what you are good at!
Pros
pay is good, hours are good, culture is good
Cons
payment takes a long time to come through