Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust

Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Always do background reading on the post applying for. All interviews are base on a scoring system. If there are two position the top two will be offered the position. Very busy work environment however, most teams adopt a good life balance culture. I enjoy communcating with services users and working closely with family members
Do not work for this Trust. They have a corrupt group of managers who have caused a lot of trouble for staff in the Trust. Avoid at all costs and work somewhere else in the Midlands where they protect their staff.
Pros
Cons
Corrupt management
I loved working there, lovely people, faces. The only issue was that their interview, training process took a very long time. I got the job in March and didn't start working till November
It is as you would expect when working within mental health. The cases and demographics is quite diverse which has been fun and educational to work with.
Due to budget cuts its hard to progress but a good place to work. I enjoy working here but would like to progress up the ranks as quick as I can. There is opportunity to work to your own initiative.
During my time I learned a great deal about the considerations for delivering an inpatient mental health hospital service that different healthcare professionals must make. Within psychology team I was well supported to update my knowledge and develop practice. Most all colleagues were regularly available to discuss patients, new ideas or professional development.
Work life was busy covering various unit across the service and managing a variety of teams. Learned to be flexible and adaptable, also to listen to others. Hardest part for me was dealing with conflict management and staff under-performing. Most enjoyable to encourage and develop staff to achieve and reach their goals.
Great experience achieved over the years. Insightful working in our public healthcare sector and in various trusts and foundations. Supportive network within the NHS has been an interesting working time.
Bsmhft is a progressive trust that is rewarding to work for, we have a good patient centred approach to care, and the management offer all their staff lots of support.
Pros
strong workforce
Cons
pay not progresive
Good place, good salary, good work colleagues, Lack of funding to continue role, no progression in role employed for on a contract basis. Would loved to have stayed on.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Lots of travelling between sites
I worked for this trust & would advise any professional to steer clear from working for them, the management stick together & have absolutely no regard for you as an individual working hard, they put more work on you & if anyone complains they then investigate you & make you feel as though you are worthless. It's the same faces different positions, they think they are omnipotent & make you feel like you are a none entity...avoid this so called foundation trust like the plague
Pros
Cons
Alot
Too many employees are only interested in earning good money but have poor attitudes and are lacking in skill and compassion for those they are paid to care for...from the top down. An embarrassingly self-satisfied worker culture, creating dangerous triggerings for vulnerable clients.
Pros
money and career advantages
Cons
harmful culture for patients
A busy day with patients at different levels of recovery. Juggling many tasks, but knowing that you are part of a team and you will all aim to acheive the right outcome for your patients and your team. Ive learned that you cannot fix everything, that sometimesit is not within your remit
Pros
good team enviroment.
Cons
long hours inclusive of weekends and bank holidays
very hands on job but management very supportive and staff were great team players which made the job very interesting as well as challenging. learned a lot about the Mental Health environment.
Pros
very friendly staff and great mangers to work with
Cons
days were very busy everyday
I was a registered nurse at this trust. You will get paid the NHS salary rate and benefits you should be. Otherwise my advice is to avoid this trust if you are a registered heath professional (I think the opportunities are better than in the private sector for bands 3 and 4). The standards are too inconsistent and completely dependent on who your manager is. I agree with the other review that I have seen some terrible attitudes to service users and also terrible attitudes to attempts to put things right. I live in Birmingham myself and if I needed secondary mental health services I would not trust my safety to this trust. The care might be ok but I would have no confidence it would be. I have since worked in another NHS trust and now in the private sector, and should have walked out years before I did.
Pros
Fixed NHS salary
Cons
Arbitrary, blaming, uncaring, unfair management. Inconsistent quality of colleagues. Ignore concerns.
I had a long, Tiring and interesting day at work. I learnt leadership skills. I could manage the shift accurately. The work place culture was maintained. But the hardest part of the shift was when staff started cancelling shifts at last minute. But the most interesting part of the shift was that, I was able to convince the staff or find another staff to cover the short fall of the ward around the Trust.
Pros
We always had recreation for staff
Cons
the shifts, however were so long and tiring
I worked for this organisation in a couple of positions over a period of 5 years.I am not happy with the attitudes of some of the front line staff and managers, even less with uncaring attitudes in those in leadership positions.I do not think the service users are put first as they should be and in fact feel too often staff are able to arrange circumstances according to their needs far too much, not enough thought and consideration being given to those they should be making central to their concerns.I hope that future reforms will improve professionalism in this organisation.
reviewing all delayed transfers of care and working and deciding on appropriate action to resolve the barriers that cause delay in discharges. Building relationships with professionals, families and patients to ensure we all work together through what is always a difficult process.It is a job with a lot of challenges and you have to always work to use your initiative in planning. The hardest part of the job is working with limited resources whilst trying to meet expectations of families and patients. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that if you had not intervened in the discharge of the patient they would not have had a middle man to safeguard their best interests at times and ensure that they were supported throughout the process of discharge. The workplace culture is highly challenging and at times tensions can be high amongst staff but you just have to keep your wits and remain focused on what you are working to achieve.
Pros
Nice friendly people.
Cons
Very challenging role
Not one of my best experiences of the work place, mainly due to unpleasant colleagues. The managers and doctors were very nice to work with and there was progression, training was offered but I became pregnant and left after maternity leave. I enjoyed the patient contact, escorting off site and building relationships with the young people. It was very volatile and I was injured on one occasion, which is an occupational hazard in secure forensic mental health. Due to a small number of unpleasant co workers I was glad to leave. I hope the staff mix is better now.
Pros
opportunity to talk with a designated supervisor
Cons
demanding workload organisation was key to success most satff were friendly and supportive lots to learn day to day things could change at short notice and it was hard to make plans in advance staffing could be a problem at times.
Pros
good wages
Cons
demanding role and unsupported at times
Working alongside the mental health nurses was very informative, as I was allowed to participate in home visiting to patients, learning how the online systems work and taking part in meetings. Overall it is was a positive working environment. The most enjoyable part was being able to go to the home visits as it gave me an insight into the service users experiences and perceptions as well as the workers.
Pros
positive atmosphere