Bistrot Pierre logo
Bistrot Pierre

Bistrot Pierre Employee Reviews

2.8
Work-life balance

Lovely place to work, but poor work/life balance

I absolutely loved my time with Bistrot Pierre; the restaurant was genuinely wonderful, the staff were super friendly, the food was amazing, and it has great staff benefits too like discounted food and wine.Though I would only recommend working here in management if having a healthy work/life balance isn’t high up on your list. The job comes with contracted 48 hours a week minimum, however, from my experience, the reality is most shifts you’ll be working 8.30am - 11.30pm, at 60+ hours every week with no overtime pay, and not enough time available due to staff shortages to take it as lieu.

Nice place to work

Friendly and welcoming atmosphere and lovely colleagues, fast-paced work when busy but never really felt *too* stressed which was good. Training was fairly simple yet also felt quite in-depth, and like that online training is paid, although struggled to always make time for it as I was also studying for my A Levels at the time. Unfortunately I didn’t have much time actually working before lockdown hit, but felt supported and considered by the company - I was placed on furlough and even when back to work was on ‘flexi-furlough’ meaning I was furloughed for the hours I wasn’t able to work due to less business during restrictions. Also want to add that my manager and other colleagues were considerate of my health issues and made a real effort to understand, which was a great relief!

Pros

Cheap staff meals when on longer shifts

Cons

Took a while to advance in my role

Not good but also not the worst ever

It looked alright at the beggining. Later it has gone completely wrong. There are absolutely ridicolous tips- 5 pounds for busy Saturday evening? Like really? Kitchen was horrificly dirty, slippery floor with food and spilages on it, lazy waiters dropping everything and not willing to help. Permanently changing labels on old food and stocks. Filthy fridges. Not enought of staff uniforms. As I wear S or M size I rarely found these, so I had to wear XL or XXL....Headcheff doesn't know words such as 'please' and 'thanks'. Just tells you- you're not 5years so you've to manage. If you don't want you don't need to come. All these people are happy to work when I ask them. (Sure, 100%!). Can't cook, just reheat it and burn it anyway.Management is absolutely incompetent. They can't organize rota and not able even to order fixing of dish washer. I asked manager to keep me off on Tuesdays. I've always had to cross my name out of rota... The main cheff was nice person and also some other ones. But no real friends or colleagues. Always requiring help but never offering.No benefits, miniWell, if you haven't got any choice, there are even worse places.

Pros

Handsome young waiters to look at.

Cons

No benefits, minimal wage, poor management

Awful

Too many menus to give to customers. Menu wasn’t french at all, with many of the items being Italian or Asian style dishes. Management seemed the they didn’t have a clue. Owners would randomly pop in and just stare at you working, didn’t introduce themselves or say hi. Chefs were rude and thought they could say what they liked to you. Not enough training. Don’t recycle. Cleaning procedures were poor, non recyclable wipes used to clean tables. No care for staff, no staff room or staff toilets. No clear finishing times. The list goes on. Poor management of redundancies, had to apply for redundancy even though they never gave proper notice and didn’t receive a penny.

Worst place to work in

Bistrot pierre is the worst company to work for they dont like training you so if your looking to move up in you career wouldn't recommend this place for sure, they gave you so many hours to the point you couldn't have a life on the outside and they also expected you to come in on your days off, I would not recommend anyone to work for bistrot pierre unless they was desperate

Pros

Absolutely none

Egotistical

Management all incompetent Lots of empty promises And false hope All managers are arrogant and think they are better than everyone else despite being quite flappy and useless No appreciation for staff what so ever

Pros

Erm staff wine if the manement let you have it

Cons

Better off selling your soul to the devil

Unless you are desperate

If you are willing to break your back for Gm's, regional's, and office workers with zero real reward in terms of bonus', respect or just morale well being then this is the job for you. I have worked for the company for over 2 years. Your opinion doesn't really count for anything. The management team for the company will squeeze you and squeeze for optimal performance. This usually correlates into working with a skeleton staff, being overwhelmed on service, which in turn provides customers a worse service in the long run and followed up by several complaints. This cycle is never ending and rather than listening to feedback on why this cycle continues and why they cant make extra profit out of you branch for working with a skeleton crew, they will simply say its not good enough you need to work harder. I myself have had hours NOT paid to me by my GM because he was so scared of the regional having a go at him for having his hours with management too high, due to having to stay longer or not having a break due to the demand of business. For the family orientated business they desire to offer on the surface, their ethics, morales, mental & physical health for staff are almost non existent. The family aspect comes purely from the floor staff that you work with and how they band to together to get through the tough times, the bad customers we get that we have to pander to even if THEY are wrong, and the lack of any annual shut down days for holidays throughout the year expect for one day a year where we close early, half day. And i wont go into the details of how much difference -

Pros

Can make good friends among staff outside management

Cons

long hours, lack of respect, exhausting, thankless, underpaid.

Stressful and intimidating experience

All jobs can be stressful but in Bistrot you feel stressed all the time. It is impossible to rely only on this job in order to get money for living. Shifts are constantly cancelled anly certain people get hours during the week. Creates really bad atmosphere among staff members as they compete for hours.

Unpleasant

I had the support of the GM completely but the others managers would bully. Being under 18 really showed there after I felt the need to leave after feeling so uncomfortable there. Outside relationships also seemed to be brung into the workplace which became unprofessional in certain matters. I felt unable to stand up for myself after one of the more very serious matters. If you are over 18 I would say this job is fine but if you are under 18 i’d be careful.

Family like structure

Family like structure, everyone is friendly and nice. Management is very considerate and an enjoyable work environment.Had a good time with the management and staffs.

Jobs at Bistrot Pierre

See more jobs

Very poor work life balance - live to work culture

Very much a live to work culture. Expected to work very long hours including evenings and weekends, despite contracts saying Monday to Friday 9-5. Commitment to the job questioned by management if you only work your contracted hours. Throughout the interview process, they hid certain aspects of the job, which involved long hours and antisocial working. Wasn’t told until joined that a large part of the role also included being on call 24 hours a day, including evenings and weekends, for restaurant managers wanting social media help. If a job it involves antisocial working hours this should at least be included in the job description, mentioned during interview or even included in a contract, none of which they did. The interview process was gruelling, made you jump through hoops, expecting presentations, marketing plans etc with hours of interviews - spoke volumes about how they would treat you when working there.

Average place to work

Day to day life at Bistro is stressful. The team made days more bearable but the management and high office members of the company do not support you very much and can be very unprofessional. The pay was good but with the long days i wouldn't expect anything less.

Amazing workplace

I had such fun working there. Honestly, Team was amazing, even though it was fast paced, team work was on point and everything was relaxed. Id I haven't moved to another city, I would definitely still work there

Zero training. Left hand doesn't tell the right hand what its doing. No management.

Head office seems to live in a parallel universe where new menus are dreamt up either out of boredom or the desire to confuse the customer. The poor staff trying to get a grip of the multitude of menus. At any one time of day, there can be 4 menus available. Oh yeah, then there is the non-functioning reward system.. If this company simplified menus, treated staff with care, they would be well informed, feel valued and want to work hard thus instilling them with brand pride and therefore customers with confidence. At the moment it is a circus. Staff are overworked and under trained and not valued at all. Shame on them.

Hardest part of the job was having to do the cleaning within a certain time

Everything was implace and the hotel and restaurant was at a good high standard. Was a lack of staff and you get underpaid. Staff were really nice and good to talk to

Great people,good company,brutal pace

Really enjoyed my time at bistro and only left as offered a role that better suited a young family It's hard work,the pace is brutal and the hours are long But the pay is competitive,the perks and incentives are strong and the people literally do become like your family. The product itself is good but there is no creative freedom as a chef but you know that when you take a role in a brand

Apply else where.

To start with it's always understaffed. You will be working long hours in the busiest of times, with zero recognition. Dont bother making plans because your schedule will change last minute.. Even on the day of. You're made to feel guilty if you are sick. Sometimes even forced to work. And for your hard work your hours will be cut severely in the quiet times. Also at last minute. You'll get comforted with 'This is hospitality.' From the management but I can tell you it's not. You will make some great friends along the way, but the staff come and go so quickly. If your considering a career in hospitality look else where.

Pros

Nice people.

Cons

Everything.

Easy Work Not Great Money

Staff are put under extreme pressure when busy, as there are never enough. But very easy for shifts to be cancelled if the venue is quiet. Some managers are excellent, and some are simply appalling. Tips can be very good. The FoH staff are wonderful to work with and make the place.

Fun workplace, good team, flexible

Fun Working environment, stressful during busy hours, friendly and flexible management. Good tips daily and employee benefits. Good hours.

Great staff, mangment do what they like and have no action on them, compared to staff

Management say, do and talk all they want within shift and not actually back up what they say, yet when it's a busy service all the stress is given to foh and boh and management then compare how much they do to you as if it's a competition, and if you dont like it your asked and shown the door

n/a

worked for a while maybe just over a year made some friends and enjoyed working sometimes although they didn't listen to my availability. great team and friendly staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bistrot Pierre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement