Black Sheep Coffee
Happiness score is 74 out of 100

Black Sheep Coffee Employee Reviews

United Kingdom55 reviews

freetrainingfeelbusyteamstafffriendlynice

Great environment, great team, great coffee.

This job is very comfortable. I never feel out of place or excluded at work, the dynamic of the team is friendly and informal. The work can be tedious but that’s the only critique. Management is great and very supportive. Pay is higher than minimum wage which is a benefit.

Educational and Fun Workplace

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time so far at Black Sheep Coffee, starting work at a new cafe with a whole new group of staff was daunting, but the staff are all lovely. I've enjoyed spending time both in and out of work with my colleagues and this helps with keeping my work-life balance in good order.The management team have all been super helpful and there are lots of perks such as paid lunches and some free food. The holiday hours have been very flexible as well as them being evey caring over when I've needed to take time off sick.I can see a clear path of progression for my career as well which is something that was important to me when I was looking to take the job on. I would hugely recommend black sheep to anyone and have even recommended it to any my friends who are in need of jobs.

Insights into Black Sheep Coffee

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Great Atmosphere

I started with the company 2 months ago. I keep thinking, “There has to be a negative somewhere.” Still not found one! Best decision I’ve ever made.•I came in positive. I was treated positively.•I’ve never been asked to do more, and I’ve been thanked and rewarded when I’ve done so.•My colleagues and team have asked me to me bring my own ideas to the table.•The benefits they offer for the baristas there are outstanding.

Pros

Salary, Lunch, The People

Cons

Fourth App is a bit naff.

A lot to desire from certain locations.

Enjoyed my time working at the company but as time went more problems started to appear.-Lack of progression due to management not wanting staff to reach their full potential.-Lack of BARISTA recognition. All credit is given to management for the teams work. All they do is seat on phones and complain. No actual work or support from management.- Overtime is given to staff from different stores and not available to store staff. Preference is also given to friends of managers. Others do short shifts multiple days in week. 16hrs split over 4 days which is ridiculous as this could easily be 2 days.- Lack of training. High expectations when there is no how to guides or training provided. Induction not provided or coffee training. It's being offered by company but management is too lazy to request it for staff.-You will be lucky if you get your rota on Sunday for Monday! they promised 2 weeks in advance on interview which is a lie.Bonus scheme is a scam. 3 weeks bonus I earned 50p. no explanation and management won't provide details as to why and and if it will be ever fixed. On the other hand some stores can be very nice to work in speaking from experience. With training, support and recognition.

A great opportunity to introduce yourself to creativity

I am a coffee enthusiast, hence I am always happy when I am around coffee machine.I used to work at highbury & islington BSC. The team is real good. Although, the rota system is somehow unfair. Otherwise, all good.Wishing good luck to BSC!

Rewarding and fun workplace

Been working for BSC for almost 3 years now and I realy enjoyed my time here. Your team is gonna be like your family and it is gonna make even the long hours more bearable. There are plenty of opportunities to grow in the company and if you want to make a career out of it, you definitely can: dedication and hard work are rewarded. The pay is good even as a barista compared to other companies and you get lots of nice perks as an employee.

Avoid

Not worth your time. The company doesn't care about staff or their wellbeing. Management don't do their job and it creates a toxic work environment for everyone. Avoid at all cost.

Great workplace

Having worked in hospitality for many years, this is one of the easiest jobs. Mostly working during weekdays & rotational weekends means more work-life balance. Quality is very important to the company & thus training plans are in place which not every company has. Definitely a good place to work.

Fun

It’s a fun place to work at. You get free coffee and discounts on everything. You get to meet new people and you can also do some fun activities as a group

Pros

Free drinks

Cons

Early starts

Fun, busy workplace

I worked at the Battersea branch of Black Sheep Coffee and would recommend it to anyone! The team are very friendly and supportive, and despite the busy nature of the shop every day we had a laugh. They are eager for their workers to be able to advance and the management team were very supportive of everyone completing their barista training and more!

Funny environment

We work hard but we enjoy time together,even outside of work,we support and help each other progress.Everyone is welcome and part of the family,I believe I made some pretty good friendsand I have lots of great memories

Fun, easygoing workplace

This is the first job I've worked in Oxford that's truly treated me and paid me fairly. The job is fun and the work culture is friendly and easygoing, and even during rushes and busy days things don't get stressful. Management are kind and fair and understanding of the fact you have a life outside of work, and the work-life balance is managed well.

Pros

Free coffee on-shift and 50% off offshift

Fun workplace

Black Sheep Coffee is a great place to work, the management staff are very supportive and you are given the chance to continue to learn skills in the work environment throughout your employment. The staff are all very friendly which makes it easier to enjoy the work day. Hard work is rewarded and encouraged without pressure so often you want to try harder independently.Even if there are problems at work, such as issues with other staff, customers or in your general life, management listen and try to help solve the issues so you feel supported. Some days can get busy and others can be quiet so the work day isn’t always easy to predict but that’s what makes it fun. Overall it’s a great place to work, and would definitely recommend.

Good growing company

The company is growing so plenty of room for me to reach new promotions. Hard work and the ability to learn will mean you move up well in the company.

Pros

Free coffee

Fun Welcoming Office Culture

From day one the team have made me feel welcomed and valued. The company is fast expanding and there is never a dull day. With great music in the office and of course free coffee; I would never hesitate to recommend Black Sheep Coffee.

Fun, inclusive and lots of opportunity for progression

Great vibes and collaboration within the team and continuously encouraged to further develop!I have loved my experience working at Black Sheep Coffee. I learn something new every day with a sense of purpose in my role.

Learning opportunities

Great place to start and learn barista skills. Clear pathway and training, and you get to work with great people in a pretty relaxed atmosphere at work.

Amazing People

Really enjoying working with the people in the team, and getting to meet new people when they join! There is a great family feel amongst the team with lots of collaborative work and support.

Toxic work environment

Toxic work environment, management will talk about you behind your back with other colleagues (in my case, wishing that I would leave) pushed from pillar to post, expecting to work in many other locations around the city with little warning (no travel expenses paid). Management do the bare minimum on the actual shop floor and then come out and makes out as though you aren't doing enough. In once case I just finished a rush and simply wanted a drink to refresh while it was quiet but management saw this as an issue and was shouted at.Management overall preech that they are approachable but in reality they anything but

Pros

Not much

Cons

Toxic Management, Toxic work environment, unfair rotas

It’s okay if you like low standards

The job is okay, some stores are busy and some are very quiet. I’m disappointed with the company because I’m a person who likes to give 110% and I was expecting good standards in terms of company policies and head office but there is a huge lack of support and communication within the organisation. Nobody follows the standards or challenge the status quo. Most of the staff are part time student so they don’t really stress themselves too much about the job, which I understand, but I believe there should be a minimum of follow up. Is a job for you if you don’t care about anything, if you are hard worker who cares, find something else as you will find yourself working alone and with no support at all.

Overall nice place to work

Some stores have awesome team who make you feel like at home. Management is nice and work mates are often very friendly and willing to help! Some colleagues can be very intimidating to work with in some stores.

Pros

Free coffee on shift. Flexible with hours and overtime. Staff discount outside of work.

Cons

Lack of progression for part time staff as priority given to full time staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Sheep Coffee. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Black Sheep Coffee with

• Black Sheep Coffee
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?