Blue Diamond

Blue Diamond Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Miserable and rude

Staff are miserable could do with smiling! Supervisors/management look down on others and make you feel unhappy! To the point you hate your job! Lack of communication unless it about something personal. The manager has no idea about the role tells people what to do but can't seem to do the same thing. Don't recommend working here get paid to stress out. Some days i did enjoy my job but i was glad when it came to home time.

Pros

Cakes are nice!

Cons

Shame the staff isn't

Stay clear

This is a terrible company to work for and is run by poor management who don't care about their staff. Toxic people to work with and they employ anyone as long as you don't have an opions and yes sir no sir person. The management use some of their staff as spys to watch other staff members. When the management are the main gossipers there is a problem. Staff toilets don't get cleaned for weeks and is in a terrible condition. Shear incompetence from the top. Poorly made products that is marked up double and often triple the cost value....

Pros

Able to resign

Cons

Centre manager incompetent

Friendly welcoming staff

The staff are friendly and welcoming. you will know within one shift if you will be staying or not! I cannot comment on training as I did not receive any! Nor an induction. if you cannot stand working in a messy and disorganised environment, this is not the setting you will enjoy working in or at least the site I was employed at was. you are left on your own quite a bit and have to help customers with no knowledge of products witch I found embarrassing. I felt I had been spied on so would have trust issues with some colleagues and made me feel uncomfortable. There is no Union so there is nobody you can speak to regarding any issues you could encounter that make working for this outfit any better.

Pros

free tea/coffee

Cons

Odd hours, poor rotas, management seem to lack basic skills.

If your face fits you’re in!

If you’re up for sucking up to the buyers and project managers, then you’ll go far in this business! If your face fits, then you’ll get on great. No structure in the business, buyers running around like headless chickens blaming department managers for poor performance, rather than the rubbish they buy in.

extremely hard

typical day was 12 hours mostly late shifts, mostly weekends, not alot of support from HO, having to give customers 100 % real customer service with little support, most enjoyable was with a close team, that pulled together and the knowledge that we did a good job every day

Pay is dependent on if your face fits

Two people doing the same job could be on different salaries are on different salaries. The rob you of as much money as possible if you leave. Constantly being refused holiday requests until the year is up so you lose out.

awful company to work for

this is a terrible company to work for and is run by poor management who don't care about there staff. toxic people to work with and they employ anyone as long as you don't have an opions and yes sir no sir person. the management use some of there staff as spys to watch other staff members. when the management are the main gossipers there is a problem. if your a chef don't expect a break unless you smoke

Pros

staff xmas party

Cons

messing about of hours and rotas, poor management structure, no breaks

Very poor experience and would not recommend the company

The fact that this company does not have an internally communicable business plan or strategy for its own employees should act as a warning for those looking at working for it. There is no learning and development department, training is limited and ad-hoc (if given at all) and little care is given to how business is conducted. What passes for the senior management team is an arrogant group of individual specialists who possess little to no management experience or ability. This is cascaded and felt in all the garden centres in operation under their aegis. New ideas or ways of working are not entertained or looked at and they seem to operate with a deep mistrust of change. The culture of the organisation is best described as one of fear and total obedience. Lines of communication are blurred and quite often, not all employees have a full understanding of what is happening in the company. The marketing department is small and limited in scope, thus restricting major brand development. Overall, many of the staff operating in the centres are fantastic, knowledgeable and helpful. The products are of great quality and worth the prices. However I would not recommend this company as a good one to work for.

Pros

Great shop floor staff, products and cafes

Cons

Poor management structure, toxic culture, poor career development.

I work here, for 12 years, check this out

I have worked in many positions at Blue Diamond. I have had so many good days, and a few bad, but you get that in any job. To move forward and learn you have to make mistakes, Blue Diamond recognises this, supports this and opens doors constantly for many, many employees. Blue Diamond will expect you to work in a fair and balanced environment. Any successful company will expect this. Blue Diamond will tell you in an honest and principle based fashion, if they need you to know something.Blue Diamond have many different angles, think retail, not just Gardens. Innovation and a point of difference is BD's ethos, if you get on that train, you will be looked after and rewarded. Positive, happy and outgoing people do well. Always. You get to feedback, you can make a difference, you get listened to.

Pros

Above

Cons

Same ones as any job.

Hard work, but rewarding.

Blue Diamond offer a range of positions in a fast-growing chain of garden centres across the UK. As an employee of Blue Diamond it's safe to say that the work is hard and the hours are long, as with much of retail, but the company does reward those who put in the hours and show a good work ethic. Every day is different with a range of demographics coming through the centre and new challenges each day. Management structure and guidance is strong and has allowed me to develop and progress at a rate that suits my ability/goals. Generally a sound team to work with, everyone gets on with each other as much as is reasonably fair to say and any issues are dealt with quickly and fairly. There are plenty of opportunities to progress within each centre, move departments and grow your knowledge and even change centre should it be necessary to relocate.

Pros

Job security, strong management, rewarding where due

Cons

Long hours (retail standard)

Fantastic opportunities for those who want them

I have been with Blue Diamond for 8 years, progressing from General Assistant to Department Head to Centre Manager. My potential was seen early and I was given the opportunity to progress in return for performing in my role, flexibility and hard work. All as you would expect. Before coming to Blue Diamond I had worked in finance, hospitality and retail at store management level. In my role with Blue Diamond we use a multitude of skills so having a varied background is useful even if you don't come from retail background. Passion, ideas and creativity are all encouraged and you have real ownership of you department/centre. Far more than what I have ever experienced. As with any company you will get out what you put in, it's down to you as an individual to motivate yourself if you want success.

Pros

Huge potential and you can get a rewarding career

Cons

It can be long hours, and hard work as you would expect but this is down to you to manage.

Great employers

Working for blue diamond for the last 7 years has been a fantastic experience. The management of the company has always been very positive and have given me all the tools to progress my career. As part of the restaurant team it is always good to have a company who put an emphasis on good quality and local sourced food. The company are willing to promote for within so this is a great place to be if you are looking for career progression A typical day would include severing the public whilst working with a great team of people. The hours are great too for people who are in the catering and hospitality sector. I would recommend blue diamond to anyone who is considering applying for a position within the company.

Pros

Generous staff discount, Promotion opportunities, Great hours

Very nice place to work

I worked at coton and it was a real pleasure to work there.like all jobs it has its ups and downs but I can say it's the nicest place I have worked and all the staff and management are very friendly and understanding.

Pros

Nice environment to work

Hard work but rewarding

You can progress within the company as the opportunities are there. However you are expected to work extremely long hours to achieve this. It will depend on how good the general manager is as to how you are rewarded. Fortunately I have an excellent manager who encouraged and saw that I was rewarded appropriately.

Pros

Bonus

Just Ok

I learnt alot whilst working there. The staff are very lovely and very friendly. you do have to give up alot of your time there e.g late hours or early starts (for me wasnt working out). Unlikely for progression or advancement.

Very Poor Pay and Conditions for employees

This is a very poorly organised and slightly backwards Garden Centre Chain to work for. General conditions for staff are basic, and pretty grim , and there are some dreadful communicators and challenging characters to work with at many of the centres. I suspect GC managers struggle to manage some of the objectionable department heads, the worst of which are just a total pain to deal with and not much fun for the poor souls that work under them. It's a sell sell sell attitude, and at times the products are really not as premium as they seem to think they are. Any real creativity or flair or ideas from staff on the floor in departments seems to be quashed and uninspiring and billigerent department heads are clearly intimidated by anyone with any real talent for retail or Garden Centre work. The atmosphere is quite different from Centre to Centre as you'd expect, but overall it's very badly organised and absolutely dreadful man managment - or a total lack of it - is rife. Virtually every other major GC chain is a much better choice for employment.

Pros

Inexpensive 'staff' lunches

Cons

Terrible communication and organisation between staff and departments

Massive potential

As a company, there are many ways in which you can progress and become a success, however it is not based on ability. Structure is not there to support the constant expansion of the business and there are the wrong people in the wrong places. Unfortunately there is a culture where some of the higher positions in the company tend to use a blame culture of the people below in order to make themselves feel more secure and highlight themselves as better workers which masks their inept nature. Good ideas are seen as more of a threat to people's positions than an opportunity to improve the business for customers and staff. There is a very incestual environment within certain groups that you would need to fit into in order to progress. The high staff turnover is obvious of this but is ignored. You will be expected to go above and beyond and token gestures may be made to make out that it is appreciated, but it is all very false. One minute you will be thanked for something but within a day you will be public enemy number 1 because someone else has a differing opinion or idea. You constantly do not know what is the right thing to do as what you get told differs from day to day.

Pros

Salaries are respectable

Cons

Most other things

There are better companies out there

The job you get sold and the promises given are no where near what you are offered or expected to do. Goalposts get changed daily and without notice. Far too many senior managers all with different ideas all trying to be heard and shout the loudest to make an impression. Senior managers are willing to trample on any junior staff to make themselves look better. Morale is non existent. They pay well, but salaries vary dramatically. With some department heads earning more than centre managers. The working week is 42.5 hours but you are expected to work much longer, with 30 min lunch break. Less experienced staff get promoted from within due to a dangerous clique mentality. No sick pay unless you are part of your centres chosen clique. All in all a highly toxic working environment.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Everything else

Unqiue Environment with a Team of professional and talented people at shopfloor level

14 years of very enjoyable and rewarding employment! Long hours that was constantly changing and envoluntionary in its vision. Co- workers at middle management were some of the most talented individuals in the industry and made for a very encouraging and uplifting workplace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Diamond. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8