BNY Mellon

BNY Mellon Employee Reviews

Pays below the Manchester Industry standard, but is a good starting place for entry level candidates to learn about Banking and office life. Thank you
The Graduate roles at Manchester office has been highly disappointing from feedback of grads in my cohort, and seems has been the case for the past few yrs since the programme was brought in. The roles are billed as having lot of technical training and for good progression, when in reality the roles are processing - for the students who dont know this is literally copying and pasting dates and fee amounts all day (research "Settlement Process roles" before applying to understand!). As such, management seem to be focussed on putting a ceiling on developing grads so they stay in their roles for a long time.Any grad who has ambitions outside of processing should consider roles in other locations, or perhaps doing 1 yr at BNYM Manchester to get a foot in the door (whilst doing additional learning on the side) and then moving on externally (as there is a lack of opportunity to progress internally) - a lot of previous grads have done this... Having said this, be careful to not show frustration (which is quite a natural reaction when being made to copy files from emails to folders day in day out all day) as a lot of grads seems to have probation issues where they are forced out after 6 months - shocking! Worse that the higher calibre grads seems to have this issue more than the those who are happy to sit there.. Feel overall the office is nice, central location in Spinningfields/Piccadilly, networking is good, everyone is quite friendly and the management structure has been thinned out so easy to reach out to senior members of staff. But this doesnt account for how low level - more...
Pros
Networking opportunities, Location & Friendly co workers
Cons
Poor wages, lack of training, probation issues
My BA has no sense at all, since the pandemic has started she has not even once asked me if I am doing good health wise. People are working at the bank for more then ten years and are still struggling where as me I’m only there for a few months and my BA from one of the branches in Europe expects from me to learn on my own in this remote environment which is very challenging. I joined the company of thinking my job role is test Analyst and I will testing the software not actually making the data to test. Such a big company but poor management shameful!!
BNY Mellon is a good company to work for if you are just starting out and looking to get a feel for a corporate career. Fairly decent starting salary and decent overtime rates. Good way to build experience. However at Manager level in the thick of operations, it is extremely stressful with increasing demands from higher level management due to an ever-increasing workload, reduction in staff numbers and efficiencies that are promised in lieu of replacing staff but that do not occur. Work life balance is impossible to achieve, and is not nearly rewarded enough. At manager level, you are salaried for a standard working 35 hour week but are expected to work in excess of 10–12 hours a day, without overtime pay. Change is a constant, and rarely for the better, and the attitude is to to do whatever it takes, for however long it takes to manage an unmanageable workload that has you set up to fail.
Pros
Great starting point for ambitious entry level staff
Cons
Long hours, poor work-life balance, poor pay for hours
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at the bank. Nice people, good work-life balance, very flexible to me as a parent and location in Manchester was good. Job kept me challenged and engaged.
Training is good and presenting back to the team about complexities of a particular corporate action you were involved in helps learning. However, quite often people are so busy that there is no time to show you how to complete a task or receive guidance which made my time there quite stressful. Poor atmosphere also as everyone always seemed under the kosh. High staff turnover was largely down to people gaining the experience here and then migrating down to London to do the same job for perhaps three times the salary paid here.
Mellon was a great place to work; BNY made the place less fun, and you were very much a number to the Management team. Overlaid with pointless and meaningless processes for the sake of having processes. Tedious.
Loved working for an inclusive and collaborative company. man great opportunities to work in other counties and the on site befits are truly amazing. Great Team!!
The business are very welcoming and accommodating, within my short space of time with the company, felt very at ease. The business is in the heart of London, so has a very professional feel
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
An enjoyable role with a collaborative team and good management structure. There was sufficient opportunity to move internally and progress ones career.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BNY Mellon?
Ideal para personas con familia con pocas aspiraciones de promoción.
Within my temporary position at BNY mellon they did not hire staff efficiently as there was no work to complete and they made everyone aware that they would not be able to receive a permanent role right away even if they were outstanding at their job whilst not confirming this during the interview when asked. The best part of BNY mellon is that they pay very fairly for the administration roles offered. Due to there being more staff than necessary the environment is very relaxed however this results in management and staff delaying and putting off simple tasks in the workplace. An example of the above would be during my entire time in the role I was not even provided with a pass for the building instead I had a temporary pass for the first week and every time after this I had to be let in by a colleague. As a result of the far too laid back attitude this makes trying to do your day to day job tedious as it is often held up by other staff and other departments which can be frustrating when you are just trying to complete a simple task.
If you work hard, you can usually leave time. People are friendly. Easy to get to the office as good transport links. Although like alot of companies they are looking to move roles outside of the capital..
Pros
Work life balance really good
Cons
Know people in high places and you will be fine
This a great company to develop yourself and your skills. What you learn will help you take your business knowledge to the next level in terms of understanding the varieties of income generator a client can engage in.
Good people (at the time) lots to do, plenty of collaboration, if you want to get on you'll need to work hard and get involved in multiple opportunities.
The bank is going through a period of change which is agressively chasing efficiencies. As such it has become a challenging place to work especially on Management level. Expectations are high to meet demands
Paid extremely little for such a high risk job. Asked daily to come in early and leave late without any kind of benefit or appreciation; in fact, quite often working 4-5 hours more than contracted and still told by management we weren't doing enough. Not enough employees for the work required, with management only interested in bottom line figures, and everything else including financial risk and breaches put on hold while they attempt to make a profit and put pressure on employees. Not enough words to describe the ineptitude of the management at Pershing, BNY.
Its a good place to work with a really friendly and open atmosphere. There are internal opportunities if you work well in your current role. The pace of change is a bit slow and technology is not always a focus.
Hard work always pays off well. Opportunity is always been given to all for progression and hard work always got identified and rewarded. Great benefits and socials
Too many poor decisions around implementation in US. lots of money wasted and senior management too poor to be able to change culture of the company. I am sure this will change, as for most of 20 years there it has been a great to place work
With New management coming in from Top dow, there are a few changes expected, New management lines and Investmenyts in technology . waiting to see impact of ne trends.
  1. Employee reviews