Booker Group
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Booker Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom777 reviews

Just a job

It's great in as far as I live very local, so have no commuting costs. Booker is owned by Tesco, so colleague discount is good. It's just a job. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it.

Pros

Tesco colleague discount

Cons

Lack of opportunity to progress

Horrible

If you like being worked like a dog then this is the company for you. I wouldn’t complain to management though as the next day you will have a longer and harder shift! If you go sick on your return you may also find that maintenance has been asked to go through your locker and belongings as the manager has convinced your team you will not be returning, and then offer that job to another!! Then on your return having to endure the painstaking drivel that spills from their mouth when questioned. Other than that a great place to work 👍🏻

Insights into Booker Group

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues

worse than amazon

possibly the worst company ive worked for . expect you to work well past your hours and will not pay overtime, you get 38 hours pay and no more, even if you do 50 hours in a week, you get paid 38!!! loading in the morning is a mess, ambient, chilled and frozen are all in separate areas, in no order and half the time not correctly picked ,and takes a good hour to sort your stuff out. no time for breaks ,have to work bank holidays at standard pay rate . back breaking work and expect you to finish your shift if you get injured .management are useless . took me on as a van driver, tried to force me to be a forklift driver then threatened to terminate my contract if i refused . was a van driver for just under 2 months for these and took the first job i was offered to escape themDO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!

Dont do it

I started on certain promises but all were lie,s ,it is absolute chaos with very poor leadership and no organisation at all plus in an 18 tonne you have no chance of parking at any deliveries ,they have an idea but no knowledge to impliment the plan . My advice is stay away

Pros

Couple of guys are great

Cons

All the others are rubbish

Fast paced workplace and the benefits are great!

The only reason I don't work here anymore is because of a miscommunication within the contract. If it wasn't for that I'd still choose to be there! Management are genuine and so are the other colleagues, really decent pay especially as it's weekly and if you want to lose weight or keep fit, this is the job for you! The only hard part about this job is "pick rate", picking a certain amount of items every hour. Some days it felt impossible to reach their targets... Other than that, probably the best job I've had!

Pros

Weekly Pay, Great Benefits, Hour Breaks

Cons

Reaching Targets, Work Life Balance

Busy but rewarding

Good place to work, bonuses, sharesave and overall benefits are good. Shorter trading hours than retail. Less hassle than retail, good rapport with customers. The company is clear on what is expected and everyone helps us get there.

heavy lift and no easy job ,pick rate

Typical work of warehouse , training I had waited for months and you can pick staff from ambient and chill(5 C ) what it is no it's not comfortable. holiday you can get but between your holiday you have to get back to work because there wasn't available day so what you can do

Needs work

Could do with an overhaul. Out with the old and in with some new. New people, new ideas, new ways. Stagnant processes and procedures will not improve the company it will hold it back

Rude transport staff

Job as a class 1 drive at the Hatfield depot is relatively easy but the deliveries can be heavy at times, the job is good and the pay isn't that bad, but the worst thing is the Transport office staff, managers are totally useless, always trying to blame the driver and not looking at the bigger picture, clerks that do the debrief are extremely rude, apart from a few who are really friendly, the atmosphere at this depot is really bad, and not friendly work place to work for as HGV driver, avoid if you can.

Pros

discounts at Tesco

Cons

Rude staff, heavy loads which you have to move with a manual pump truck.

Ok place to work

Nice staff and decent pay but bad management and structure - usually quite chaotic due to heavy turnover the store is extremely understaffed and cannot deal with the amount of customers

As a delivery driver you will work for two every day

I lasted just over a year and that was a record. Drivers usually leaving after few weeks or sometimes after few days.It's not bad company to work for, but the biggest problem in Dundee management thinks you must deliver any customers request. So you will carry stuff upstairs, downstairs and anywhere where shop owner points with the finger. In most cases shops not allow you bring cages inside shop, because it's "damaging" floors so you will carry 5-12 tonnes on your hands.Most days you will get max 2 hours driving time on your tacho, the rest of the day handball, and pushing cages.It would be good place to work if your delivery ends where your cages stops, but unfortunately management don't care about your health and safety that's why nobody stays here

Pros

8 h shifts

Cons

Very hard work, definitely not good for your health.

Good

Great place to work, great staff and good pay. Overall interview process was very easy with a sit down conversation with the manager. Overtime was widely available.

Great people to work with

I've been working for the company for a while now . The best thing is the relationships with my customers and the sense of achievement i get helping them grow their business. The store i work in has a great culture and we do have a real team (not all stores are the same) but ours is great.

Great atmosphere, fantastic team work

Its hard work at times but we get the jobs done as a team. We get to know the customers as they shop with us most days which makes it a more friendly atmosphere and the time goes quicker.If you want to progress, there are lots of opportunities and they advertise all the vacancies at all levels for us all to apply for. You get to learn a bit of everything so your job is more interesting.

Bit of graft, decent money

Delivering to restaurants, pubs, cafes.Plenty handballing, can be tough going. Generally decent hours mon-fri and occasional sat. Had worse jobs. Management ok.

Good at first, in the end a nightmare.

Good for a number of years.In the end everyone who works for this company, will grow to despise the place no matter what job role you do. Constant hypocrisy, lack of consistancy, back stabbing clickiness is overwelming.Since leaving this company I have found true friends & colleagues who see people for who they are & do not trample on peoples sholders to progress in a dead end job.My new job is not dead end either & I feel proud every day, doing a worthwhile & fulfilling role that uses my talents.

Good place to work , most people pull together as a team

It's a good place to work , with some people having a great work ethic and working hard sadly some colleagues think that just turning up is enough and don't pull their weight .

Very faced paced and competitive

Working here was OK for first few months then becomes very repetitive and rare to be able to work your way up. Multi national staff so can sometimes not understand people as they speak in their native language.

Pros

Food is cheap full breakfast for 2.50. Some floor managers are good to get along with and helpful.

Cons

Language barrier on some staff. 30 min break all day. Bad pay. Early starts and late finishes

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good:- Decent benefits, Booker cards, friend and family cards and Tesco employee discount.-Easy to commute to-Half decent pay, although this is a recent development-Get left alone to do your job in general-Some great colleagues -Subsided canteenThe Bad:-Work life balance suffers, recent rota changes have made this better to a degree-Managers clearly have their favourites, the same faces are on the same jobs, normally jobs that have a high output for your performance rate-Pay rise and bonuses didn't appear to be reflected in the section leader and manager pay-Made to feel like a criminal for having an unavoidable illnessThe Ugly:-The performance rate model of working is a shambles, encourages unsafe behaviour from workers who live in their bonus -Warehouse was promised a retime which will no doubt only happen once the busy period is over and we are all working ourselves to the bone just to hit basic performance, despite massive and numerous changes to warehouse layout and line increases-Company cares so much about their "have your say" survey, yet changes appear to be for show only-Your replaceable, and you feel it.

Pros

Decent pay rate, Great colleagues for the most part, good benefits

Cons

Performance bonuses has created a culture of unsafe behaviour.

A large company with a good benefits package and room to progress. As a warehouse manager in a busy warehouse my days are never the same. Management support at my branch was good with a good H&S culture.Remains my favourite role I have fulfilled.

Pros

Pay, culture, progression

Cons

Shifts

Forced to work to targets

Applied for this job as a branch assistant but when I arrived I got told to be a picker. Management team are really controlling and angry and to my understanding no one actually likes working there. Even the wage can’t motivate you as there only paying minimum wage and making you work exactly 30 hours 5 days a week so you can get taxed! So if you are looking for long term work with a sense of job security look away now.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement