Booker Group

Booker Group Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom768 reviews

Clear
2.8Pay & benefits

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good:- Decent benefits, Booker cards, friend and family cards and Tesco employee discount.-Easy to commute to-Half decent pay, although this is a recent development-Get left alone to do your job in general-Some great colleagues -Subsided canteenThe Bad:-Work life balance suffers, recent rota changes have made this better to a degree-Managers clearly have their favourites, the same faces are on the same jobs, normally jobs that have a high output for your performance rate-Pay rise and bonuses didn't appear to be reflected in the section leader and manager pay-Made to feel like a criminal for having an unavoidable illnessThe Ugly:-The performance rate model of working is a shambles, encourages unsafe behaviour from workers who live in their bonus -Warehouse was promised a retime which will no doubt only happen once the busy period is over and we are all working ourselves to the bone just to hit basic performance, despite massive and numerous changes to warehouse layout and line increases-Company cares so much about their "have your say" survey, yet changes appear to be for show only-Your replaceable, and you feel it.

Pros

Decent pay rate, Great colleagues for the most part, good benefits

Cons

Performance bonuses has created a culture of unsafe behaviour.

A large company with a good benefits package and room to progress. As a warehouse manager in a busy warehouse my days are never the same. Management support at my branch was good with a good H&S culture.Remains my favourite role I have fulfilled.

Pros

Pay, culture, progression

Cons

Shifts

Insights into Booker Group

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Forced to work to targets

Applied for this job as a branch assistant but when I arrived I got told to be a picker. Management team are really controlling and angry and to my understanding no one actually likes working there. Even the wage can’t motivate you as there only paying minimum wage and making you work exactly 30 hours 5 days a week so you can get taxed! So if you are looking for long term work with a sense of job security look away now.

Interesting and semi eventful workplace

It’s interesting working for Booker, some days are very fun and some days are very stressful, but it equals out to being a good place to work, compared to other jobs, I don’t dread going in, I actually quite enjoy it frequently. For once I found a place where the management actually care about your well being and personal situations to the point of even going out of their way for you. The pay itself isn’t that impressive but the benefits make up for it tenfold, just expect to be sore after a weeks work.

Amazing senior managers and GM at S/E depot

Have given me plenty of opportunities to progress and achieve personal goals. Some senior managers can be questionable on occasions but are capable at their jobs. Pays above minimum wage for warehouse work. Plenty of bonuses and free food stalls etc

Great place to work, relaxed atmosphere and great salary and benefits

Overall it is a great place to work, relaxed atmosphere and is not too strict, the people I work with are great, the managers are down to earth too, the salary is fair and the benefits are great, large company so job security.

Good

Very busy depot, all handball so very physical work. Routes preplanned and easy but some jobs have parking restrictions and issues arise when trying to offload

Good job security

Not a bad place to work most people are good to get on with. Pay could be better and more needs to be invested in equipment and training. Management are easy going as long as you do your work. Good job security and career progression as long as you show willing and get on with people.

Was good a few years ago, awful now

Booker says they are fair and consistent but are anything but. Pay their managers and supervisors absolutely terribly for the work and hours they put in.Give bonuses and incentives to hgv drivers but every other staff is excluded including the people having to manage them. Drivers take home nearly 30k. Supervisors have to graft to even take home nearly 24k. Managers about 30k. Wheres the fairness or the consistency? When the management are held to account to maintain everything safe secure and legal and drivers have very little responsibility in comparison.Needs a pay structure review badly as there's a high turnover of staff due to poor wages.Makro is a part of booker and supervisors get paid more and work 38 hours. In booker supervisors get paid less and work 42 hours. When bringing it up to management you get told "it is what it is".The job itself isn't that bad, for a starter job to get some experience its ideal. But overall they don't pay a competitive nor "fair and consistent" wage and there's a lot of employee dissatisfaction.

Drivers beware !!

The reason they don’t put a salary in ad is that is £9-60 an hour and you will take home £300 per week, for that you will have to go the worst weeks driving you will ever encounter in your life!The drivers that are there are all looking for other jobs so BE WARNED DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

A solid honest company that care about you being individual.

There certainly are more options to develop in role and progress into others than you would first think. If you want to stay as you are but be the best you can be in role then this is ok too. There have been many changes over the years but the focus and importance of looking after customers is very transparent and positive. Colleagues trust each other and are like small families. The benefits have certainly improved since becoming part of the Tesco group but the only down side is the pension. This could be improved. Working hard and efficiently is important and if you get this it’s a good place to work. Health and safety culture is really positive and never (in my experience) compromised.

Pros

Discount on shopping, cycle to work scheme, mobile phone, home insurance discount etc, Development, Driver Academy, Greengrocer, Butcher, Fish Monger Apprenticeships, Health and Safety taken seriously and culture around this is a positive one.

Cons

Can be tiring work. Pension could be better.

Clueless place were there is no management or help.

They just throw you in the deep end with no help and ridiculous targets.mainoy foreigners and unhelpful managers with horrible attitudes. The only good thing is the pay and knowing I won't be here long.

Pros

Pay, free parking

Cons

Everything else

Good work but hard

Hard manual liftingLong hoursGood salary and management teamChilled environment and freezer really hard to work inPayment includes holidayGood company and benefits overall

Long days. Now deliver to many small shops where it’s difficult to park

Management generally quite good but once you are on the road you are on your own for a long hard day. Shift pattern quite good with no Sunday work and only every other Saturday.

Pros

Shift pattern. No Sunday work

Cons

Long hours, parking at small shops. Still some handball

Ups and downs

As usual the same drivers get the same routes. Some i knew wouldnt roll in till 7am when I had been there from 5 and they would be back an hour before me everyday loading for the next. Hours are supposed to accumulate then entitle you to a day off in lieu. That happened once in 10 months i was there. Job was ok, decent people and management were decent people, but gets to be soul destroying when you are putting in extra hours for no extra pay because you're salary paid. Never enough cages so most morning you would be expected to either chance taking pallets to a cage drop and hope the customer will accept them or transfer the goods to a cage before you load it onto your truck. As i said decent job all round but needs to be hourly paid, then i would have stayed for sure

Pros

Decent management on the whole

Cons

Favouritism for certain drivers, never enough cages, on premier weeks more work and hours was required for no extra money

Generally great place to work

I worked for Booker for over 10 years and was lucky enough to work with a lot of fantastic colleagues and managers in my time, many who I still class as friends now. Being part of the Tesco group has given great job security. No issues at all with the company and would happily work there again

Pros

The colleagues, work hours, benefits

Cons

None off the top of my head

I have been working at bookers for a while its the best job i have ever had! Its fast paced and fun.The working hours are good, I highly recommend working for booker.

Pros

Flexible working, Benefits

Great atmosphere

I’ve worked for bookers for over a year now, and it’s been a great place to work ! With a good bunch of people . Very helpful management and great benefits, such as discount in Tesco’s and their partners.

Pros

Good benefit

Productive workplace

I have worked here for about 6 months so far, and I am still enjoying it. The department is well managed, and the hours are perfect for me. Recommend bookers as a workplace for anyone.

Pros

Teamwork and good hours.

Cons

This is an excellent place to work

I enjoy working at bookers, I feel welcome everyday and work with a great bunch of lads. The teamwork is very good and we’re all treated very fairly.

Pros

Teamwork, Good hours

Cons

I have worked for bookers for the past 8 years and there are always opportunities to progress. The job also offers great benefits and bonus'.

Pros

Great benefits, Good team spirit

Cons

Happy with my current role

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Booker Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Booker Group with

• Booker Group
  • Pay & benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?