Boots UK

Boots UK Employee Reviews

Found 3,693 reviews matching the search
Whilst I liked the people I worked with the management of the team was awful, always understaffed and overworked. And you can never be ill else you face so many warnings etc and eventually get kicked out the company for only a few absences. The amount of work the pile on you is insane and the management was never right, the rota was always wrong, people would be moved about constantly and there was never any chances to do the work you needed to because there wasn’t enough people there.
Cons
Stressful
- if you feel something is unfair/ not right, don't bother going to the managers as they don't do anything - you will be expected to do a lot of stuff, even if it's unrealistic. - some people get away with standing around doing nothing when they could be helping out delivery or tidying- you will be thrown in the deep end
Pros
staff discount, double discount twice a year, christmas day and easter day off.
Cons
no holiday can be taken during december. old fashioned till's, uncomfortable uniform
Management are a joke , massive turnaround of managers as they aren’t up to the job , lacking experience , Terrible with people have no control over the bad staff , do as they please , which causes bad feeling with the ones that do work . Unpaid for locking up 😡20 minutes each day , as management very rarely stay till the end . No staff , staff have halved in the last two years , you can’t look after the customers properly . It’s embarrassing .Not the company it used to be , sadly
Pros
Discount for staff
Cons
No staff, doing 3 people’s jobs, terrible managers, if you raise issues they don’t care . Not worth the stress look elsewhere .
Boots are good at hiring young people for a first job. I was very lucky that they gave me this chance, as it allowed me to get jobs elsewhere after this temporary contract. I would work there again. Pay was great!
Pros
Amazing pay
Cons
Temporary job
Don't inform you of any changes happening eg working Sundays don't listen to there staff if you have any concerns and if you do raise a concern there not interested. When your off sick they keep contacting you not to ask if your okay but to harras you to hand back your keys till you come back from sick.
Cons
Cant make up there minds
I worked here for 2 years a few years ago. Started off as a Christmas temp and got kept on. It took a few months for existing/old staff to "accept" me but after that it was fine. Fun place to work, great friends but like any retail job it was stressful at peak times. Pay was good for me at that age at the time. Hours of work varied but suited my lifestyle. Eventually left due to issues with a manager (who I believe no longer works there) who seemed to have something against me for whatever reason. All other management was professional and supportive.
Pros
Friendly environment, good pay for what the job entailed, staff discount
Cons
Varied hours, retail in general
Managed by threats bullying and fear no empathy for mental/physical conditions management would rather rid themselves of the issue than understand or help senior management give the impression they do not understand my time etc due to continual errors with past staff payments
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Too little staff with too much expected
Only worked there for a couple of months, but it was one of the most stressful experience for me. Staff wouldn't there jobs properly and every time a tried to do something about it I would get in trouble. The pay was very bad as well.
Pros
Pay, stress
Cons
nothing really
An absolute horrible place to work. Managers have been caught gossiping about staff and taking pictures of staff without their knowledge. Managers will falsely accuse staff of things and then not give them a chance to explain the situation. You are not praised for all the work you do but instead the second u stand still you are told that you are “not doing your job” and are lazy. Boots has single handedly caused my mental health to deteriorate and caused me to go back into my anti-depressants.
Pros
Cons
Managers are bully’s. Hard work not appreciated.
Constant favouritism, lack of training and when trained on certain things it is a constant battle to actually getting on there to improve your skills on that task, if you aren’t what they expect after the first week of being trained you will live the rest of your days there on blue/yellow tubs, you are only ever given a 3 month rolling contract so no job security whatsoever and even then you are me er told if its getting extended until a week before it ends, and being on a temp rolling contract you are never able to achieve the NVQ that they “offer” because that is ONLY available to permanent staff members along with a payrise the job is very tedious and misinformed, management will treat you like dirt and punish you by putting you on blue/yellow tubs if you dont meet their expectations if there is any part of the job you enjoy to do face it you aint gonna be doing it.
Pros
Some friendly staff
Cons
Management, Favouritism, Lack of training, Bullying, Being spoken down to, No job security
A good overall company but if you’re unlucky with the management of your individual branch it can be on the more difficult side. In general, would absolutely recommend for part timers.
Boots as company is good , but the management with whom I worked at Heathrow airport is very unprofessional,favouritism ,excessive work given to targeted colleagues ,overall I would give a “0” to such management.
Pros
You get to meet people.
Cons
This was my first ever job and everyone at Boots was super supportive and helped me grow in confidence. I made some great friends and memories there, it gave me some good experience with customer advising and working on the tills.The pay is really good, especially for a teenager! And after the 3 month period you can get your discount card which is a bonus! I would recommend working here, even if it’s just as a Christmas temp, this is what I started as and then I got kept on a permanent contract. It’s a great place to gain confidence and skills that your possible future employers may look out for!
Pros
Friendly team, Discount card
Cons
Boots are a fantastic company to work for. I worked upthe ladder slowly but with excellent training and support. The pay was good and the staff made a great team. I would consider reapplying to the company as have stayed working in private pharmacy. Customer care is paramount still as an employee. Since leaving I have noticed other shops with terrible customer care ...example Mccolls Maple Cross. Disgusting service and staff members are very rude.
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Weekend shifts
Boots has reduced their staffing levels across stores every year for many years now. It had got to the point where it was impossible to stay on top of the workload, give the service that is expected and have a work-life balance as you constantly have to cover or work additional hours (all for free of course). Patient safety within the Pharmacy should always be top priority but it's all about how we can increase numbers (profit) on as little skeleton staff as possible-who are already worked to the bone, exhausted and barely functioning. I left Boots due to it feeling unsafe and I fear that it is only going to get worse going forward.
Pros
Progression opportunities
Cons
No work-life balance, stores staffed too low, profit over people
Very understaffed at all times. No support from management with pharmacy issues. Only care about shop sales and figures obsessively. Holiday requests constantly ignored or rejected.Breaks constantly changed or not covered. Often left to run pharmacy alone during flu jabs as pharmacist never available in dispensary. Too many weekend shifts and long periods before next days off. Held in store at end of day until all cashing up done and locked in safe. Need I go on. Seriously affected my mental health and regularly went home in tears.
Pros
Discount card and rate of pay better than most other pharmacies
Cons
Long shifts. Never get 2 days off together. Understaffed. Poor management of staff.
Used to be a nice place to work. But things have changed over the years. This company doesn't really care your overall wellbeing. Target is everything. Think twice if you really want to join.
Working a covid testing site. The salary started off decent, but I've had 3 raises in 3 months so there was a good chance of progression. Overtime was possible and they paid expenses whenever I needed to work elsewhere. Diverse range of people which was beneficial as it helped broaden my opinions of current events. There seems to be a breakdown in communication between different branches of management so it leaves us in a constant state of confusion as to how certain matters should be operating and any big changes don't always get filtered down to the correct people.
Pros
Free lunch. Nice range of people. Very good work life balance.
Cons
Pertinent information isn't always passed down.
Would never ever recommend working for Boot's, don't think I've ever heard anyone speak kindly of the company as an employer. People only stay there through fear of not finding other working roles, not because of satisfaction or career motivations. During my time at the company I saw more people go than come, which just makes the working situation even worse as stores become under staffed; and if not for this reason then stores are understaffed due unnecessary budgetary cut backs. Nobody will listen to your concerns, the only worry is profits, regardless of the toll that takes on the mental health of colleagues (also the service they recommend for people who are struggling is also awful and very unhelpful). Considering the fact that it takes 5 years to train to become a qualified pharmacist, they way they treat their newly qualified pharmacists is appalling, there is little to no support at all and their relative inexperience is completely ignored and unrealistic expectations are always enforced on themDo yourself a favour, look somewhere else. As soon as my letter of resignation was handed in it was like I stopped existing as a person in the eyes of this company - not even a message to acknowledge I was to be leaving from higher management, and no guidance through the process of leaving.
Pros
Cons
un-flexible with holiday requests, long unsociable hours, no time off for holidays, no benefit to working bank holidays, awful management, no career progression opportunities, loyalties to older colleagues over others, poorly trained colleagues are prevalent
Nice place to work was busy as worked as temp Christmas assistance unfortunately no work after Christmas lovely staff to work with had discount in-store or products which was handy
Pros
Standing all day
Cons
Temporary work
I only left this job due to having a baby. I wouldn’t have left if there wasn’t a reason like this. Absolutely great place to work, lovely staff, management is great. The only con I can think of was extra hours worked weren’t recorded and paid correctly
Pros
Lovely staff. Chilled out.
Cons
Overtime paid incorrectly
  1. Employee reviews