Boots UK

Clear
3.3Pay & benefits

Found 510 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,690 reviews

Expect Burn out

A big aspect of your experience working for this company comes down to who your team is. Your pharmacist and manager will hugely impact the environment and it is the luck of the draw. You won't always work with the same pharmacists as when they are on holiday or ill, locum pharmacists will have to cover for them and these are very inconsistent. The workload is extremely high and they are very reluctant to offer more staff. The pressure since the pandemic was unbearable although since then I hear it has eased off slightly. Paid next to minimum wage for an extremely high pressure job with a lot of responsibility isn't worth it. I actually ended up leaving dilue to a mental breakdown caused by work and it took me around a year to recover enough to even start looking for work again.

Pros

Staff discount, rewarding

Cons

Extremely stressful, high-risk, low pay

Productive, friendly staff and management

Only worked here a month as I had to leave due to personal reasons but the staff and management are really friendly .Would recommend to anyone, Stockton on tees store

Pros

Good hours and pay

Cons

Manager rude and patronising at times. Abrupt and doesn’t do as she says. Lunch at 10 am is far too early. No parking for staff and no allowance. Long hours and not family friendly.

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Long hours on your feet non stop. Parking expensive

Hard work

Not enough staff to do the required jobsStressful in Pharmacy Various jobs available including secondment Covid aware with staff looked after with PPE

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Stressful

Competitive Pay, Skeleton Staff, and Complete Lack of Management

The management is shocking in this company. I had 5 different managers within the space of 8 months and didn't even meet the last one because they went on long-term sick. Due to the fact that the company insists on everything being signed-off by a line manager I am still owed 20 hours in pay. The stores are run with skeleton staff, meaning that its always a battle to get everything done in a day and rely heavily on the staff they do have. It also means that getting holiday off is a nightmare; it pretty much has to be booked a year in advance. Depending on the store you are expected to work at least two bank holidays, including one over Christmas and New Year. Whilst the staff are lovely, everyone is very demotivated due to the working conditions. The only good thing is that pay is probably slightly better than their competitors, but not necessarily worth it. Please do your research into the store you may be working in before you apply!

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Very little staff, had to work bank holidays, complete lack of management

Its a good company with few benefits

Good day to day company,its just the pay is very less if you see other jobs with 2+ years of experience they earn more here youre dealing with medication and you get psid lesser than supermarkets staff!

Understaffed

I love the people I work with and the money is good but the management is so bad. No communication between team and management lots of people leaving due to not given the support needed

Pros

Good money

Cons

Bad management

Reputable company

Overall its a great experience to work for boots but the work load is too much which stresses you. Customer care is excellent and organised. Employees get good discounts but never gets pay rise no bonus nothing

Pros

Good discount

Cons

No bonus

Poor trigger happy management led to stressful environment

Paid poorly compared with other company who co-contracted to do the same job. Not enough hours to live off. Had benefits like cycle to work scheme but we didn’t qualify due to low wages - salary sacrifice would have had us below the minimum wage. The worse part was the poor trigger happy management that really looked for faults to justify their own positions - one in particular was the most reviled person at the whole site - so much so that members of the co-contracting company would confirm whether she was working a particular shift before booking/not booking to work at that time. Also, rules were extremely changeable and often made no sense and had no real confirmation from DOH. Overall, very cowboyish and stressful. It’s no wonder they had staff retention problems.

Pros

Apart from some management, the people that worked on site were great.

Cons

Not enough hours, no flexibility, no empathy towards sickness/childcare needs, poor response from head office to any grievances.

Worst place to work

Unless you want to have no work life balance as an assistant manager then I would avoid at all costs. Store managers paid at least double the salary of an assistant manager and they have little to none general knowledge of how to run the shop. Phone calls from staff at all hours of the day even whilst on holidays. Have to cancel holidays regularly to suit business need as the assistant managers are expected to cover the short fall. Flag any concerns or ask for support and you will never hear back from both your store manager, area manager or regional manager. Breaks are never got yet you never get paid for them if you don’t receive them, christmas there is just an expectation that you work above your hours, no time off at weekends if you are required to work a Sunday. If store managers are off you are expected to work above and beyond your houses to cover the trading hours of the store. Salary is not reflective of the job - you get paid pretty much the same as the shop floor and dispensary staff

Pros

Cons

Long hours, little breaks, no support from any area of management

Stressful and super busy

I was interviewed for a relief pharmacist position but then offered a permanent single store position. I didn’t want to be in one place all the time but was told I wasn’t being flexible enough for them! I had a second interview with a different area manager who was thrilled with my experience and offered me a relief position immediately. I negotiated a small increase in salary of £500 per year based on my extensive experience but the salary was still mediocre. I did accept though and was happy in my relief role. They then unilaterally moved me to a late night store and all my shifts became 4pm to midnight or late Saturday or all day Sunday. New pharmacists were employed (there was a rapid turnover) and each time I was promised a new rota would be arranged but this never happened. I became very stressed (after 3.5 years) and had to have time off. My GP only gave me permission to return if I no longer worked at that store, so I returned to relief work with a reduction in hours. Boots never really forgave me for ‘forcing their hand’ and I was given bad performance reviews and lost bonuses and pay rises because of that. Eventually, even though I was happy working on relief and was well-liked in the stores where I worked, I began once again to feel I was being overworked and under appreciated so I chose to retire early.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Pressure from management Staff shortages.

Shambolic

Poor pay poor management very stressful no support change hours all the time lots of targets increase workload no staff poor conditions then they decide not to pay sick when you have covid because they roll sickness over two years and count if you were pinged to self isolate even though front line pharmacy workers put them selves and love ones at risk shame on you Boots

Pros

Cons

Stress

Negative work environment

Wouldn’t recommend working here. Constant increase in workload without any benefit in salary. It’s all about the figures without any care for colleagues

Pros

Staff discount, maternity pay

Cons

Management awful, salary

Very poorly paid for Assisted COVID-testing

Testers are the least paid compared to others on the site. Payroll have made mistakes in the past and salary has been clawed back without your consent leaving you short during the month. Management not interested.

Stressful and difficult place to work.

The management at boots opticians Watford is appalling to say the least. Most have hired family members and give them benefits over other members of staff. Including allowing them to come in later, giving them more flexible hours and exceptions for holidays. They are constantly understaffed and force staff to work more days by instilling fear in them that they will ask them to leave if they don’t abide. Overall there is evident favouritism and discrimination. The branch is clearly saturated with family members who can get away with doing the bare minimum and who’s rights are prioritised. Terrible place to work and the managers consider themselves overly superior and successful to staff. They watch the staff be overworked and stand around all day having long conversations. They make the hierarchy evident and consciously pick and discriminate against who they hire.

Pros

There aren’t any

Cons

Poor management, lack of staff

High stress

Pay is low for the level of work and responsibilities expected of you. It's high pressure and your Completely under appreciated. Toxic environment and mental health not supported by management.

Pros

Discount card

Cons

Too much expected of you

Some supervisors make it a misery

Job is easy but pay does not reflect its importance. Not enough hours - Sodexo do the same job with us Boots staff and get almost double what we get paid - incredibly unfair so high staff turnover.

I started working there when I was 16 along side my studies and they are super flexible with the amount of hours you want to do ! The pay is great for a first job as they pay all their employees equally regardless of age and is well above minimum wage. Only downside is the lack of staff can cause a lot of pressure on the time you have to do certain tasks as you have to balance a lot and can be stressful around holiday periods.

Pros

Double discount twice a year, really good pay

Cons

Stressful, busy

Bad Management

I worked at boots in meadowhall as a christmas temp in 2019/2020 and although the actual work itself was good the managers really let me down. It was my first job and I have anxiety so I was a little timid on the shop floor when talking to customers at first but I grew past it quickly, however the managers I were assigned spoke to me as if I was a child which was kind of dehumanising. The temps were split into two groups for original training, one half went to tills and the other half went to shop floor and I was on shop floor however they never trained the shop floor group to work on tills so when it was very busy and tills were short staffed I was asked to fill in but couldn't as I wasn't trained yet the manager acted as if that was my fault and took me to the back to get me a log in for the tills with a bad attitude. The other colleagues were lovely and I enjoyed working tills etc but I was just treated sort of badly which is a shame. The pay is good for teenagers! it was more than enough for me as I was 17.

Pros

good salary

Cons

bad management

Management are no good

Management are the worst pay is ok other drivers are ok but that's about it the pharmacy staff are ok same as shop workers its just management that are no gd

Cons

It was a good place but not enough work

Boots was alright but you just didn’t get much work you could be at work six in the morning by seven they would come up to you and say there is no more work once there is work it’s ok ish

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Boots UK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement