Borough Care

Borough Care Employee Reviews

As a senior carer, you do medication rounds, personal care, booking in and out of residents, audits, booking in and out of medication. You run the staff team, staff inductions, supervisions etc. Day to day you deal with emergencies - falls, illness etc. Every day is different. You have an extra day off for your birthday, but bank holidays - Christmas etc were kept on rota, so if you are unlucky you get to work them all. Management team friendly, and keep quality of work and standards of care high. Sometimes we have quite a few residents who need lots of support, which puts pressure on the staff to ensure they are all up at a reasonable time, and all tasks are completed, but then as they improve, we may then have lots of more independent residents, waiting for equipment / care package for a safe return home. Great induction, class based and online courses. Friendly staff. Potential to learn from NHS staff, and learning about different injuries and conditions. 3 full on twelve hour shifts, and then three days off on a rolling rota. Day seniors do most of the paperwork, night senior jobs were more hands on, unlike other care homes I have worked in, so late admissions meant late finishes for day staff. It can be hard work to keep on top of setting up care plans when there are multiple admissions and discharges in a day. Sometimes it feels like there are more cleaning and catering staff than carers. Infection control is vital, but at times an extra pair of hands is needed on care.
I have had the best experience coming to join Borough Care a fantastic introduction. The whole team are so supportive and are willing to help with absolutely anything. Your colleagues and management are amazing and all work well as a team! The training is just fantastic well structured! I can’t wait to meet our new residents to our wonderful team at Hen Cloud House.
Pros
Supportive management, friendly welcome and fantastic training
I have recently joined the team at Hen Cloud House Leek, I’m completely new to this role, Borough Care have invested so much time in my training and welcoming me to the team. I already feel a valued employee. The extensive training program has been amazing and I can’t wait to welcome our first residents.
Pros
Excellent training, highest paid salary in the care sector
Training is absolutely fantastic and you are totally supported by both management and your fellow colleagues. Everyone looks after you to ensure that you fully understand your job role.
A really thorough induction and the warmest of welcomes to Borough Care. They couldn't be more supportive in any aspect of the job role and are always happy to help with anything. Could not recommend this company enough and I can't wait to welcome new residents to this wonderful new family at Hen Cloud House.
Pros
Supportive management friendly welcoming excellent training
Awful company to work for, they don't care about people residents or staff. They break all the rules around covid guidelines for care homes. They move staff around to different homes even when covid is in a home then send the staff back to there home putting everyone else who works there at risk and the residents who they say they care about absolute rubbish they tell lies and do what they want to do they are a joke. Do not work for them they will put you at risk. I think its time I left this company.
Pros
Residents
Cons
You are lied to
Keeping money from me not answering any of the emails ive sent ,i have evidence and they'll be getting emails and calls everyday until they pay me....
When joining borough care they reassure their employees that there will be chances to always go further and progress in your role which is untrue, for example at the home I worked in they where advertising for a new Activity and life facilitator there were two carers that applied for the job, one of the interviewed careers was promised a second interview to then be phoned and told that they wouldn't be having a second interview because they had already chose a candidate that didn't even work for the company (great for internal moral and really shows how loyalty and dedication results in progress in the work place).The two and a half years I was there we had four different managers, so there was never any proper support or structure for the staff, the most recent manger was very rude and unapproachable with poor people communication skills and a clear authority complex. The staff were run down because head office would come in and nit pick at everything because they where worried about CQC inspections but the reason they would nit pick is because there was no structure, if proper procedures, protocols and precautions were taken regularly by people in higher positions there would be no need to nit pic or apply unwarranted stress, strain or pressure on staff who routinely do the work expected of them. New managers would come in and change the day to day running of the home leaving all other staff clueless on how the days should be structured. Head office where never there any other time they where just worried how there company would look. Its sad that the company would rather - more...
I have worked for bc for almost 13 yrs in that time I have had support and compassion from managers I'm coming to the end of my time with the company and all as I can say is ignore the negative reviews on here and see for yourself the company will see you have all the training requirements you need to become a valuable member of the team yes we all have a few gripes but as a team you'll over come these the residents are lovely and I will miss everyone there
Pros
Good team
Cons
Fast paced but rewarding
I currently work for borough care and all I can say is I’ll be happy to see the back of it the only positive about this job is the lovely residents who deserve a lot more time and attention than they receive. 12 hour days 8am until 8pm you don’t get a proper handover in the morning about any changes in the residents (crucial as I was once not told about somebody passing and spent half an hour looking for them) it’s absolutely shocking the management doesn’t give a toss either they just palm you off at every attempt to communicate with them the pay is awful considering you’re literally worked to the bone I could go on but I’m sure by reading this you wouldn’t be so stupid to apply:(
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Borough Care?
Borough care church road was a lovely place to work. Avoid this place at all costs. The new manager plays staff off against each other. No support from manager. Speaks to people very rude. The manager will gossip about you. And give private information away. Very dangerous place to work as the staffing levels are not adequate. The manager is just as dangerous.
16 December 2019
Thank you for your review, we welcome all staff feedback through any channel and hope that you reach out to any member of the HR or Operations team to discuss this review in more detail. Alternatively you can email enquiries@boroughcare.org.uk or write to us.We aim to listen to all our employees through staff forums, staff reps, surveys and regular CEO visits.We look forward to hearing form you soon.
I worked at borough care for just over a year. Staff worked to the bone for basic wage. No encouragement or support from management. Staff often put in a position where accidents may occur due to incorrect staffing numbers. Any concern regarding residents or work fell on deaf ears when put to management and HR. Company also promise advancement opportunities but hold you back. This company is all about cutting back and making profit. Head office should do a days placement in home to understand what real issues staff face. I enjoyed every moment getting to know, help and assist the lovely people in my care. Everything else was rather forgettable.
16 December 2019
We're sadden to hear about this experience and we always try and advocate for the staff. If you don't feel comfortable talking to HR or Operations, you can always email the CEO directly.you can reach home via enquiries@boroughcare.org.ukWe have made sure that we have regular staff forums and reps for each home, the CEO regularly visits Homes and speaks to the staff and we also have annual surveys.
If you want a job badly, it's ok for now but it is not a long term job and I would not recommend it. All the carers I've met are amazing and deserve better and most of the seniors, management seem to care about how the home looks more than what the residents need and don't care that staff are stretched fin and trying to complete everything that is expected of them which is a never ending list of things that seems to grow weeke By week.
17 December 2019
Thank you for our comments, we agree that all our carers & staff are amazing.We understand that care seems never ending, but every resident deserves to live their life in colour and this includes the look and feel of their surroundings.We would always learn more about your experience with us which is why we have staff reps, regular staff forums, surveys as well as team meetings and anonymous surveys.if you want to reach out please write to us or email us.
I have worked at borough care for over 3 years now and after nearly 9 years in the care industry, I can safely say it has been the best company I have worked for yet and I really do enjoy coming to work. I started off as a Peripatetic Senior Care Assistant and have worked in a few homes within the company, all have been welcoming and friendly. I have now worked myself up to become a Deputy Manager and find it so rewarding. The company values their Staff, homing in on in-house talent and giving Staff brilliant opportunities for career progression. The training borough care provide, I feel, is fantastic as they really do encourage Staff to enrol on to courses and gain more qualifications. I have found over the last year that head office and the hr team have excelled (even more) in making Staff feel appreciated, developing more perks for Staff and recognising everybody's hard work. I find the most enjoyable part of the job caring for our amazing residents and putting a smile on their faces, as well as working in a brilliant care home with a fantastic team and company! If you are wanting to work for a care company who look after their Staff, will allow you to excel in your career, give you perks, very good pay for the care industry and a happy atmosphere - then I'd say borough care is the place for you :)
17 December 2019
Thank you for your comments, we are happy to know that you love your experience with us.
The shift is 6 hours, but there is no time to do everything because other staff trash the supply cupboard and lose equipment, or leave it in bedrooms. A lot of time is wasted on tidying after other staff who leave trash and pads everywhere. Evening staff leave messy and dirty trolleys for me to clean up in the morning.That wasted time is my fault, somehow. A lot of the other staff have negative attitudes and complain constantly. Some shout at residents and act very unproffessionally in front of staff, residents, managers etc. Supposedly there are ways to advance, like apprenticeships, but when I tried to contact HR to apply for one they ghosted me. The best training I got was from a visitor who decided to help me out in the laundry when I was working alone. I like working with the residents, and have made a lot of friends. I liked a few of the other staff, and I loved working with a tight group of Housekeepers who stayed friendly and helped me a lot.
Avoid! Rubbish company, Board and all Senior Managers awful and are about as much us as a chocolate teapot. Poor pay and ineffective fluffy (and clueless) HR dept
I worked at one of the Borough Care homes from 2014 - 2016. This was my first care job and I loved it, the staff were so lovely, & I've met some genuine friends whilst I worked there, I only left as I wanted to go to the hospital, But even then I stayed casual for abit. I've considered going back on a few occasions, as the home I worked in was so welcoming and lovely. And the home manager was amazing, his door was always open & helped me loads. Shame he left! I think the pay could be abit better, ie: enhancements for weekends or nights. And I had a few bad experiences with agency staff that I worked with on nights, who clearly didn't care as much as regular staff and was only interested in sleeping
Pros
Manager and staff during my time there, residents, welcoming and clean home
Cons
Agency workers
Worked for borough care for a number of years carnt say it was a pleasant experience,staff under pressure due to lack of management skills from the senior care staff who always had time to go for a cigarette but never have time to lend a hand when residents have not received any personal care for many hours.SHAMEFUll
Pros
You be very lucky to a a break
Cons
12 hours shifts
Dont look after staff there fore they dont stay constant change over of management and staff you get no support what so ever worked for them for years nothing changed
I have never worked for such a bad company!! Managers always in heels bosing carers around. No hands on care. Long hours unsocialble hours. Never recommend this company to anyone. If you have a problem, HR is not worth talking to. Pay is never right.
10 April 2019
Thank you for your comments, we always want to hear from our staff both good and bad and we are sorry to hear about this experience, we would urge you to contact any member of the Care / Operations team if you have any problems, we also have a staff forum that support when any members of staff feel aggrieved.
Worked here for 3yrs loved it at first but job became unbearable. Long back breaking hours anything you do is never good enough pay is shocking and when you do get paid it’s never right and good luck trying to get what you’re owed. Left due to ill health and being unable to do the job anymore and because I didn’t work my full notice the lovely warm hearted company decided it was keeping my finial pay! Is that the sort of company you’d want to work for?
10 April 2019
Thank you for your comment, however we would never withhold pay for any member of staff even if they choose to leave us. please contact us so that we can talk about this and resolve any issues.
  1. Employee reviews