Borough Care

Borough Care Employee Reviews

United Kingdom41 reviews

Busy busy

The carers/house keeping team I have worked with are amazing and work so hard. Management isn’t great, not really supportive and never get praised for the hard work you do. Not really any extra benefits - such as salary enhancements/ working public holidays. Other than the senior role, there isn’t any career progression.

Awful company to work for

* Always running out of pads/PPE* High turnover of staff and agency workers* Extremely high turnover of managers* Person centred care doesn't exist 80% time due to staff shortages*Great carers leaving or stepping down from care itself because they can't cope anymore *Very cliquey culture there especially on days, staff baited against each other* No respect or empathy towards staff * 3 shifts on and 3 shifts off 12 hour shifts * company has kept money donated to staff from residents relatives and when asked say it's been investigated..

Pros

Leaving

Cons

Awful company

Insights into Borough Care

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager

Bad manangement

Management are the problem within the home. The sooner they leave the better it will be for the residents and staff. They do not care that the home is understaffed which is leading to the staff that are working to be exhausted and poorly. On a positive note its the care staff and residents that make the home a much better place due to them caring so much. The staff have massive hearts and do put a brave face on for the residents and will fight anything and everything for the residents. Such an amazing bunch of staff. Just a shame the management let them down and do not care.

Left due to staff

You are just working on a rota there’s no care about it. Also some of the staff are so rude to other staff and managment don’t really care. Some of the seniors don’t actually help either but are ok going on at people who are a bit far behind.

Pros

Residents

Cons

Poor Managment and staff

Unsupportive management, Disorganised

High stress work environment with incredibly unreliable management and higher ups are even worse. Training was incredibly minimal leading to a lot of confusion throughout shifts. Staff rivalry’s and ‘cliques’ are common. Young carers being given too much responsibility eg Having to be shift leaders during the night due to not having seniors despite the fact they aren’t comfortable with this. Constantly being asked to work overtime even if you’ve already worked 7 days, being pressured when you do not want overtime. The list goes on…..Don’t work here.

Pros

Fantastic residents, food available at meal times, access to tea/coffee all day

Cons

Long hours, unsupportive management, staff rivalry, lack of training

Stressful unreliable work

Was working here for three months when they took my job from me for checking my dbs. But it taken them three months to check they let me work here. I think it was really bad how they handled it and they really don’t be caring about the staff that work there very. Understaffed

Pros

Cons

Long hours with short staffing

Not fun

Awful. Day and night staff rivalry was awful. Rude obnoxious staff especially the management. Back stabbing.You name it it happened. Residents neglected especially when family’s were not permitted in due to covid 19. New starters permitted to run the home with agency staff when no senior available

Pros

Cons

12 hour shift sometimes without a senior

Lovely place ,very supportive people

I recently started here ,and the support is amazing ,from the interview to training ,they are always at the end of the phone .I don't feel stressed or worried in my job and all of the other staff are very friendly .

Pros

Support

Cons

Long hours but not worked to death

A great new start

I have had the best experience coming to join Borough Care a fantastic introduction. The whole team are so supportive and are willing to help with absolutely anything. Your colleagues and management are amazing and all work well as a team! The training is just fantastic well structured! I can’t wait to meet our new residents to our wonderful team at Hen Cloud House.

Pros

Supportive management, friendly welcome and fantastic training

Excellent Employer

I have recently joined the team at Hen Cloud House Leek, I’m completely new to this role, Borough Care have invested so much time in my training and welcoming me to the team. I already feel a valued employee. The extensive training program has been amazing and I can’t wait to welcome our first residents.

Pros

Excellent training, highest paid salary in the care sector

A brand new start for everyone.

Training is absolutely fantastic and you are totally supported by both management and your fellow colleagues. Everyone looks after you to ensure that you fully understand your job role.

Brilliant training, excellent management

A really thorough induction and the warmest of welcomes to Borough Care. They couldn't be more supportive in any aspect of the job role and are always happy to help with anything. Could not recommend this company enough and I can't wait to welcome new residents to this wonderful new family at Hen Cloud House.

Pros

Supportive management friendly welcoming excellent training

Awful company

Awful company to work for, they don't care about people residents or staff. They break all the rules around covid guidelines for care homes. They move staff around to different homes even when covid is in a home then send the staff back to there home putting everyone else who works there at risk and the residents who they say they care about absolute rubbish they tell lies and do what they want to do they are a joke. Do not work for them they will put you at risk. I think its time I left this company.

Pros

Residents

Cons

You are lied to

Fast paced, lots of admin

As a senior carer, you do medication rounds, personal care, booking in and out of residents, audits, booking in and out of medication. You run the staff team, staff inductions, supervisions etc. Day to day you deal with emergencies - falls, illness etc. Every day is different. You have an extra day off for your birthday, but bank holidays - Christmas etc were kept on rota, so if you are unlucky you get to work them all. Management team friendly, and keep quality of work and standards of care high. Sometimes we have quite a few residents who need lots of support, which puts pressure on the staff to ensure they are all up at a reasonable time, and all tasks are completed, but then as they improve, we may then have lots of more independent residents, waiting for equipment / care package for a safe return home. Great induction, class based and online courses. Friendly staff. Potential to learn from NHS staff, and learning about different injuries and conditions. 3 full on twelve hour shifts, and then three days off on a rolling rota. Day seniors do most of the paperwork, night senior jobs were more hands on, unlike other care homes I have worked in, so late admissions meant late finishes for day staff. It can be hard work to keep on top of setting up care plans when there are multiple admissions and discharges in a day. Sometimes it feels like there are more cleaning and catering staff than carers. Infection control is vital, but at times an extra pair of hands is needed on care.

Avoid

Keeping money from me not answering any of the emails ive sent ,i have evidence and they'll be getting emails and calls everyday until they pay me....

Bad company........... Very rewarding job.

When joining borough care they reassure their employees that there will be chances to always go further and progress in your role which is untrue, for example at the home I worked in they where advertising for a new Activity and life facilitator there were two carers that applied for the job, one of the interviewed careers was promised a second interview to then be phoned and told that they wouldn't be having a second interview because they had already chose a candidate that didn't even work for the company (great for internal moral and really shows how loyalty and dedication results in progress in the work place).The two and a half years I was there we had four different managers, so there was never any proper support or structure for the staff, the most recent manger was very rude and unapproachable with poor people communication skills and a clear authority complex. The staff were run down because head office would come in and nit pick at everything because they where worried about CQC inspections but the reason they would nit pick is because there was no structure, if proper procedures, protocols and precautions were taken regularly by people in higher positions there would be no need to nit pic or apply unwarranted stress, strain or pressure on staff who routinely do the work expected of them. New managers would come in and change the day to day running of the home leaving all other staff clueless on how the days should be structured. Head office where never there any other time they where just worried how there company would look. Its sad that the company would rather -

Rewarding

I have worked for bc for almost 13 yrs in that time I have had support and compassion from managers I'm coming to the end of my time with the company and all as I can say is ignore the negative reviews on here and see for yourself the company will see you have all the training requirements you need to become a valuable member of the team yes we all have a few gripes but as a team you'll over come these the residents are lovely and I will miss everyone there

Pros

Good team

Cons

Fast paced but rewarding

Avoid like the plague

I currently work for borough care and all I can say is I’ll be happy to see the back of it the only positive about this job is the lovely residents who deserve a lot more time and attention than they receive. 12 hour days 8am until 8pm you don’t get a proper handover in the morning about any changes in the residents (crucial as I was once not told about somebody passing and spent half an hour looking for them) it’s absolutely shocking the management doesn’t give a toss either they just palm you off at every attempt to communicate with them the pay is awful considering you’re literally worked to the bone I could go on but I’m sure by reading this you wouldn’t be so stupid to apply:(

Dangerous manager and staffing levels

Borough care church road was a lovely place to work. Avoid this place at all costs. The new manager plays staff off against each other. No support from manager. Speaks to people very rude. The manager will gossip about you. And give private information away. Very dangerous place to work as the staffing levels are not adequate. The manager is just as dangerous.

16 December 2019
Thank you for your review, we welcome all staff feedback through any channel and hope that you reach out to any member of the HR or Operations team to discuss this review in more detail. Alternatively you can email enquiries@boroughcare.org.uk or write to us.We aim to listen to all our employees through staff forums, staff reps, surveys and regular CEO visits.We look forward to hearing form you soon.

Disappointed

I worked at borough care for just over a year. Staff worked to the bone for basic wage. No encouragement or support from management. Staff often put in a position where accidents may occur due to incorrect staffing numbers. Any concern regarding residents or work fell on deaf ears when put to management and HR. Company also promise advancement opportunities but hold you back. This company is all about cutting back and making profit. Head office should do a days placement in home to understand what real issues staff face. I enjoyed every moment getting to know, help and assist the lovely people in my care. Everything else was rather forgettable.

16 December 2019
We're sadden to hear about this experience and we always try and advocate for the staff. If you don't feel comfortable talking to HR or Operations, you can always email the CEO directly.you can reach home via enquiries@boroughcare.org.ukWe have made sure that we have regular staff forums and reps for each home, the CEO regularly visits Homes and speaks to the staff and we also have annual surveys.

Feel under appreciated at times, feels like managment and head office care about how the place looks more than the needs of residents.

If you want a job badly, it's ok for now but it is not a long term job and I would not recommend it. All the carers I've met are amazing and deserve better and most of the seniors, management seem to care about how the home looks more than what the residents need and don't care that staff are stretched fin and trying to complete everything that is expected of them which is a never ending list of things that seems to grow weeke By week.

17 December 2019
Thank you for our comments, we agree that all our carers & staff are amazing.We understand that care seems never ending, but every resident deserves to live their life in colour and this includes the look and feel of their surroundings.We would always learn more about your experience with us which is why we have staff reps, regular staff forums, surveys as well as team meetings and anonymous surveys.if you want to reach out please write to us or email us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Borough Care. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement