Brakes Group logo
Brakes Group

Brakes Group Employee Reviews for Truck Driver

Hard work stressful

Been working for Brakes now for four years at Reading.I find the work very hard stressful and very exhausting.Early starts 0430 is very hard.Never got used to this times but it's a job and earning me a living.No work life balance.Always tired at home which is a worry to my personal life.Would love to have a shift starting later.Perhaps 0600 for example.Management are good to talk to.Not bullies.They do have time to listen to your concerns.But nothing changes.Job would be great if you could start a little later and have regular routes that you know.Planners mess you around to much.Not knowing were you are going all the time isnt fun.Brakes are a good company to work for.Negatives:Route planningEarly starts.Positives: Later startsRegular routes

Pros

Security nice people

Cons

0430 am start times. Route planning

10 March 2021
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience of working for Brakes. We're pleased to hear that have experience good management and that you are comfortable talking about concerns. Due to the nature of the work, the start times are very early and route planning can be tricky - we're looking at technology and a number of things to help make this easier

Except to much from you

Workers nice company just want work done employees been working there get easy routes home a lot easier than you would not recommend people to work there been there 3 months seen a lot a people come and go why do you think they are always advertising...

A headache

Just left. This place is toxic!I can’t believe they have the people they have in the transport department there. It’s a joke.Long hours, stress galore.

Pros

Good canteen

Cons

Pushing 60 hour weeks.

Trainee hgv driver

Started as a hgv driver trainee promised this and that and nothing was delivered, they are absolutely no good with understanding mental health and just dismiss you even when you genuinely have a doctors appointment and can’t get any other accept in work time so take a day off and you are reprimanded for itManagement are very very abrupt and do not understand at all, personally avoid at all costs.

Pros

Decent canteen

Cons

Avoid this company...(warrington depot)

If you want to enjoy a job in a happy company enviroment avoid and consider other oppotunities, lack of managerial experience in the transport department is very apparent in shift managers, really disappointing attitude portrayed to staff in a physical and demanding job,

Pros

Salary is reasonable considering the physical aspects of the job..Its

Cons

Were do you start, to many to answer

bad management uncaring

My five yrs a brake was not a nice experience some horrible management decisions and insults did not care about anything accept picking up pay Cheque at end of month .. work load is horrible lots of lugging of heavy tins and Sacks can affect body and mental health as witnessed many’s drivers struggling due to uncaring management.. give this place a wide birth life’s for living not working for brakes

Pros

Not bad finishing times but got to work for it

Cons

The place will never change

6 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sad to hear that you didn't enjoy any of your 5 years working at Brakes. The work is hard and can be heavy and it isn't for everyone. We work hard to care for all of our colleagues physical and mental wellbeing, we're sorry that you feel your management were uncaring. Thank you for your 5 year commitment

Good company...let down by toxic culture

Generally a good company as a whole as I've seen various depots operating however ....over the time I worked there it has gone from a friendly upbeat place to arrive at work to somewhere that stresses you out every single day , managers and other admin staff have changed and so has the trust and teamwork between drivers and office staff , very much a them and us attitude right now. I would say Upper management need to be more hands on with the office because your message of mental health awareness clearly does not resonate with some of your DSM 'S , which in turn is the reason you are losing long term, experienced , very hard working drivers ....so you managers and TSD 's who think your smart and clever ? You are the opposite and shooting the company as a whole in the foot....but that's what you do . Good luck to the lads that are sticking with it because you will need it .

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Some insecure idiots

10 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to feedback to us on your experience of working at Brakes. We're sad to hear that you didn't enjoy your time with us. The health and wellbeing of our colleagues is our priority and we are sorry that you felt you didn't experience this.

A ridiculous abundance of petty managers, loads of them, none with any responsibilities.

Terrible routes. If you return half an hour before your shift ends they will send you on another run. Twice they took me within 15 minutes of my maximum hours!

Pros

Good money.

Cons

"management"

10 March 2021
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time at Brakes

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for.

I recently resigned/was told to leave Brakes. My issue? Refusing to deliver frozen food (including meat and poultry), that had been thawed out for several hours in a truck with a faulty fridge unit (re-frozen at the depot and sent out again) and was well out of range - it would have been completely wrong from a safety and moral perspective.When I phoned in from a customer site and said I couldn't deliver the food, I wasn't asked why I thought it would be wrong, or why I'd formed this opinion - I was simply told that it had been signed off from above and to deliver it. There is no way this would have been signed off if the correct temperature readings from the food probes and the correct times had been reported. After I refused to make the delivery, I was left in the middle of the countryside in 35 degree heat to make my own way home and never heard from Brakes again other than receiving my P45. As far as I'm aware this incident was never investigated - as I've never been contacted by anyone at Brakes about it. I doubt I will be after this review either. In addition, the vast majority of drivers at the depot work through their breaks - it's common knowledge but nothing is ever done about it - it would be very very easy to clamp down on this, as each truck has several 24/7 recording cameras on it (just make sure the time is set correctly on the recorder and compare it to the driver card records). If you do take your breaks and keep to speed limits, you get constant sarcastic comments on how late you get back to the depot.No support, no training, constant sarcastic comments, -

Pros

There is a measure of camaraderie amongst drivers.

Cons

Very chaotic depot with only lip service paid to health and safety.

7 December 2020
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience working at Brakes. There are some concerning allegations here, which do not reflect the experience we would want for our colleagues, or how we work at Brakes.

Waiste of time

This is were hgv drivers go if you want to kill your body hard work is an understatement,with this job eventually your body starts to pack up and when that happens your out of a job.at the end of the day your health is more important than money

Pros

Cons

Everything about brakes

26 November 2020
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time with Brakes. It's true that it can be a hard job and this isn't for everybody. We have a number of well-being and health resources for our colleagues

Jobs at Brakes Group

Truck Driver positions
See more jobs

Bad place to work

Too hard ... !!! Too heavy ... !!! Too many surprises every morning ! Your words doesn't matter !!!... Fliss "know" everything in this place !!! Mates very friendly. You feel there like in the police station for deposition after crime offences...

Pros

Only money !!!

Cons

Too heavy hand work !!!

7 August 2020
Thank you for your review. The role is indeed a tough one and does involve hard, heavy work. We're sad to hear this wasn't for you and that you didn't enjoy it.

Stressfull

Often late loading with unachievable targets.The quality of the managers varies drastically depending on which depot you work from. Read your contract carefully!!!

Pros

Early start

Cons

Will often start the day knowing you cannot complete your route.

7 August 2020
Thank you for taking he time to write a review. The role of a Brakes HGV driver can indeed be hard and the very nature of the role can lead to load times being delayed. We do all we can to avoid this, but we do understand how difficult it makes things when circumstances beyond our control delay loading.

Awful place to work

Former class 2 multidrop driver. Between 15 - 20 drops per day the back was never in order to accommodate your drop order! If you slog your guts out and get finished for a decent time they'll ring you to go help someone out! Frozen section you haft to pick yourself! Never any access to get in to do your deliveries. Don't listen to the BS they tell u at the induction! It's an awful place!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No home life

7 August 2020
We're sorry to hear that found the job tough and didn't enjoy your time with us. It can indeed be hard work, we are constantly working to try to improve things for our colleagues.

Great

I really loved my job, but sadly am being made redundant because of Covid-19. Worked there only three months. So this review is based upon that time scale

22 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really wish Covid-19 hadn't led us here. Make sure you speak with your line manager or HR - we have a lot of outplacement support available with advice and guidance to help you secure new employment. We will do all we can to support you through this challenging time.

Brilliant place

Is an amazing place for work where you will get help from management if you don't know something and is a really peaceful environment. And beside that you have plenty of opportunities for your career

22 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - we're really pleased to hear that you enjoy working with us and have experienced a great working environment!

Best move I made

best hgv multi drop job I have had . Yes it is hard work in the summer but half days in winter and still full pay Salary is what it should be for a hgv driver and overtime is always paid no problem . You can ask local management anything no problem . Good lorry’s to drive and 1 months on the road training to get used to picking and paperwork

3 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your personal experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with us :-)

Don’t let £30.000 fool you, it’s a trap

Well where to start... Brakes lead you into a false sense of security telling you you'll get trained by a TSD on your own routes which never happens unless you say something... So instead they send you on awful routes to test you to see if you've got what it takes. You'll probably get your own routes 4 maybe 5 months whilst employed by brakes. You'll end up learning the job yourself with no help. The managers don't help you with anything so it's a waste of time asking them, your in this on your own. The planners can't plan correctly so when it comes to organising your paper work in the morning you'll end reorganising the route plan, which then makes the load plan incorrect so you have to shift everything around, very time consuming and could be ignored, burns to much energy when having long days. (Planners use to be drivers as well so should no better) The back of the truck is very ugly, very unorganised when it comes to picking items and you spend to much time looking for products for customers. So you have warehouse who pick items, then the driver has to pick what the warehouse have picked which makes no sense, you have to separate departments doing the same job TWICE. Mind boggling if you ask me... They have no weight limits on the cages or don't obey by, some are way to heavy to move once your at a drop, this is just asking for an accident to yourself or someone else. The devices they give you for your sat nav don't work properly, if your in Bristol your screwed... you'll receive a text saying 'are you using your device?' When you are... The chargers don't stay on the dashboard -

Pros

20p coffee and when you finish!

Cons

Everything...

3 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry that your experience didn't meet your expectations. We take the health and safety of all of our colleagues very seriously and adhere to all regulations. Additionally we value all of our colleagues and each individual contribution. We're sad to hear that you feel that you didn't experience this.

Don't work here

Poor management.... Boys club mentality for the crawling type... Working in a blame culture environment... Always on your back and cameras on you 24/7

31 March 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave comments. This isn't the experience we want for our colleagues - Please email resourcing@brake.co.uk with more detail so that we can explore further

You start at 4/5am if you finish your round your expected to help other drivers poor work/life balance

The job itself can be stressful half the time management don’t care what it takes for you to deliver, I was hardly home to pick my kids up from school

Pros

Good wage free milk

Cons

Early starts poor life/work balance

31 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The job can indeed be very hard work at times and it isn't for everyone, but this is balanced out when there is lower volume. We've been working hard to improve work life balance during busier times, and are sorry that you didn't get to experience this

Stress laiden overworked and non listening, management are inconsiderant and non approachable, do not resolve problems raised

14hour days no help and uncompromising, management are a joke, any raised issues are fobbed off and never rectified. If you complain to much they penalise you or discipline you. Know inter departmental cohesion and each department blames the other and nothing ever gets sorted out. The most enjoyable part of the job was clocking out to go home. No culture at all as each different foreign speaking groups have nothing to do with each other or the English. Totally stressful and unhappy place to work. Had i known about this before starting there, then I would never have worked there.

31 March 2020
Thanks for your constructive comments. We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your time working at Brakes..

The worst job ever!

I’ve been working for Brakes for four months , like employe and this was the first and last job for this horrible company ever! Early start ,at 05,00 I must to be out for delivery 🚚! They didn’t pay properly for overtime! Cheating with this when you’re waiting the payment! Terrible management! I strongly don’t recommend this company! Stay away from Brakes!

20 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our drivers do have to start early - all part of the role. It sounds like you were working via an agency - which would mean the agency pay you and we would have no visibilityof your contract and agreement with them around pay. That said, we have high expectations that we expect all of our agency suppliers to adhere to.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brakes Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement