Brighton & Hove City Council
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Brighton & Hove City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom76 reviews

councilstaffteammanagerenjoylotworkingpeople

Interesting role in challenging times

Brighton and Hove had recently been created by joining 2 councils so it was a period of change - roles, reporting lines, culture, etc with redundancies and anxieties abound. New working practices and organisational structure were just being introduced which was clearly causing some distress. As a newcomer the challenge was to tread a careful line between factions whilst working to move things forward.

Cons

Introduction of paid parking greatly reduced net pay so making it a less attractive place to work.

Great

A great collaborative place to work with flexible work policies and the opportunity to learn about a huge variety of practice areas from a big team of experienced lawyers.

Insights into Brighton & Hove City Council

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Don't work for them via agencies!

I was hired via a temp agency to work for the Council and if I knew then what I know now, I never would have done it. I was treated like dirt, given hardly any training, criticized and micro-managed on a daily basis to the point where I had to raise a formal grievance with the department manager (my manager's manager) but it got nowhere. The office environment was rife with gossip and people having meetings at their desk while others were trying to handle phone calls which was not ideal.

No parking, expensive, inclusive

Good place to work, interetesting people, skilled colleagues, every day is different.Would have liked to stay but completely unaffordable place to live for a civil servant.

Flexible. Local .

Progressive employer. Respectful. Allows flexibility . If like me you enjoy working for The community and to help those in need in society this is an ideal place to work. I really have little more to add

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Limited opportunities for career progression

Worst place to work!

Promotes LGBTQ but lack of race diversity. People are generally rude there, poor work ethic. Only plus is they allow hybrid work. Most people I have met are self entitled, arrogant and rude behaviour. When pulled up on it, they justify everything with anxiety and mental stress. Also, underpaid compared to other councils. I wouldn't recommend.

Professional and rewarding

Supportive management and colleagues at all levels. Good Cross- discipline cooperation. Variety of work. Appreciation by management. Treated like professionals.

Pros

Trust by management in staff to complete duties.

Enjoy the job

Good team and good manager. Very supportive. Able to ask for help and receive help. Very approachable manager and a good place to work in my opinion.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Dunno

Wasn't all to be..

Worked here for a period of time and to begin with enjoyed it but felt like many experiences and expectations were not met so politely vacated and got a different job.

If your face fits you will do well

To do well at BHCC, keep your head down, don’t get involved in work drama. Do your job and do it well. Don’t volunteer to take on additional duties to help out because it will soon become expected of you and you won’t get paid any extra. Strongly advise to join one of the two unions , because you will never know when an issue may arise. Be very wary snd be on alert when you hear staff consultations and restructure. Someone is losing their job or going to have a change in job description.

Pros

Flexible and hybrid working.

Cons

Pay is below market rates.

Underpaid over worked

Badly managed departments, poor attitudes towards staff on lower salary brackets/public facing employees. No performance related benefits, not progression. I was there nearly 20years.

Would recommend working for this company they really care and show compassion. And I’m proud I worked for this company, the hours were good and they take care of staff

Pros

Good pay, warm staff

Teaching Assistant

It’s a great job and very rewarding! Sometimes it can be tiring but overall a great job. The children make the environment a happy place to work.

Pros

Happy workplace

Cons

Can be tiring

Rewarding job

If you like working with children its a great job! I’ve worked in 3 different schools across Brighton and the job really varies from school to school. Overall Brighton and hove city council were a good employer for me. I really enjoyed it however the overall pay is really poor with only working term times. Also with less money given to schools there’s less support staff meaning it’s quite stressful at times.

Inclusive, friendly and enjoyable place to work

My time and Brighton and hove city council was very enjoyable. I immediately felt part of the team and I was given roles and responsibilities straight away. Would highly recommend working for them, I worked in the seafront office specifically but I also worked closely with other areas of the council and they were very pleasant to work with.

Good choice of jobs

Great organisation for providing opportunities to try different roles without having to lose benefits. Some departments better than others but overall managers are trained well and respond to employee needs and changes in circumstances. Lots of opportunity for undertaking new courses and training is encouraged. I have been an employee for 11yrs and no desire to change.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Poor salary

Dynamic

I was recommended to them by my manager.It was an exciting and rewarding job.I got feedback and ideas from my on site mgr at ftf Dilys Rees who saw that I had potential from my work trying to be a good carer in the care home. I had full support of my community on the street and was able to isolate the factors that made life more enjoyable for our resident outside of the care home.

Pros

Staff support was fantastic

depends on team

if you have good team life is very good if you get a bad team life gets stressful and you leave or transfer to another team also the manager determines how the team deals with new faces

Pros

unlikely to get fired unless you do something very wrong

Cons

everyone above you is related to each other

My Appraisal...

A great place to work. If one wishes to serve the fine people of Brighton and Hove then this is the place to be. Flexible working, generous holiday allowance and excellent pension scheme.

Allover the place

Management is allover the place Teams are not easy to get on with Relaxed and understanding managers will override one another so 1 task can change many times over

Productive great place to work

They are supportive, and pretty flexible. Projects tick along quite nicely. Slightly slowly, but that is expected at a council office. Hot desking is a bit of a pain.

Pros

Great People

Cons

Take on vast complex projects, not resourced to proceed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brighton & Hove City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement