Brighton & Hove City Council

Brighton & Hove City Council Employee Reviews

I was recommended to them by my manager.It was an exciting and rewarding job.I got feedback and ideas from my on site mgr at ftf Dilys Rees who saw that I had potential from my work trying to be a good carer in the care home. I had full support of my community on the street and was able to isolate the factors that made life more enjoyable for our resident outside of the care home.
Pros
Staff support was fantastic
Cons
if you have good team life is very good if you get a bad team life gets stressful and you leave or transfer to another team also the manager determines how the team deals with new faces
Pros
unlikely to get fired unless you do something very wrong
Cons
everyone above you is related to each other
A great place to work. If one wishes to serve the fine people of Brighton and Hove then this is the place to be. Flexible working, generous holiday allowance and excellent pension scheme.
Management is allover the place Teams are not easy to get on with Relaxed and understanding managers will override one another so 1 task can change many times over
They are supportive, and pretty flexible. Projects tick along quite nicely. Slightly slowly, but that is expected at a council office. Hot desking is a bit of a pain.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Take on vast complex projects, not resourced to proceed.
Worked within HR and Resources for 8 years. Fantastic connections and support with other colleagues. I had supportive line management (although not everyone experiences this). Workload was very varied and interesting to me. Felt like I was giving back to a city I love. Slow at progression opportunities though.
As a Canvasser I work alone, knocking on doors to establish residence and to ensure voters are aware of the rights and responsibilities of registering to vote according to eligibility. I get paid for every property I establish residency and eligibility. As a Poll Clerk I work in a team to ensure that voting is efficient and fair, in accordance with legal requirements. We are a well-organised team, who have worked together over several elections now in a very busy station, possibly the busiest in Brighton and have established a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
I only began my training before I opted to leave after a month. It was very productive and fast paced. I received great training and had good advice from the team around me.
A workplace with different cultures depending where you work There is no consistency in the working culture throughout the organisation Some departments are very formal and structured You could walk along the corridor to another team where staff are wearing shorts and flip flops and a happy relaxed atmosphere Everyone will have a different experience working at Brighton at JJive So it is difficult to give my experience, as this might mislead a potential employee
I was proud to lead the authority between May 2015 and May 2018 and to be able to represent it to the public. The staff are committed and hard working in some great team changing lives and keeping the city running despite huge challenges.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Brighton & Hove City Council?
I work predominantly in the laundry,I learned to resolve problems in the work place, get on well with the management,the best part of the job to be , keep a smile on the residents faces
I worked for B+H council for 13 years.It was a great place to work.The council is better than most in looking after its residents and staff. Hard work but very worthwhile.Job satisfaction high.
Pros
Great work colleagues
Cons
Workload high and unrelenting
There are several council offices around Brighton & Hove. This particular office had a fun, friendly, and welcoming culture. I learned to expect the unexpected and always keep my wits about regarding the type of customers that came in.
Pros
Fun office culture.
Cons
As receptionist, can be isolating at times.
Government are stingy when it comes to handing out their money but the people in Brighton are lovely despite them not being paid enough! Looks good on your CV.
Worked as an apprentice, learnt a lot from different managers. All people were very friendly and willing to help. Very central location, have limited money spent on IT so with the hot desking policy sometimes it was hard to find a desk and there were limited laptops that are shared out to work from home.
Pros
Willing to help
Cons
low pay comparitively
Started off loving the job, before cuts revealed a bullying, cliquey, team, and blame culture management. No promotion or recognition unless you do it the coucil way or your manager likes you. Not good with disabled, BME, LGBT, etc. Glad to leave.
Overall good employer and very hard working staff. Lots of fixed term contracts due to financial constraints. Hot desking does not suit everyone so be prepared to move around.
Government costs have caused lots of changes and redundancies. Good place to work with supportive management and good training opertunities. Choice of locations to work from and mo lie working
Pros
Mobile working
Good team work, supporting each other, appropriate trainings maintane up to date. Professional attitute. Good management, clients were able to attend their day centers, to enjoy social life by attending outings and be a part of community, I have enjoyed to give the cliens a confidance to live as quiity life as possible and be looked after to meet there daily needs. I have work in Health and social care since 2004, looking after elderly, children and adults with learning dissabilites. I have attended 1st aid course, health and safety, food hygine, manual handeling, and done |NVQ 3 in health and social care.
Pros
free dinners with the clients
Cons
sometimes long hours
I enjoyed my time there as a Health Trainer. It was a great place to work and very vibrant place. Perks included flexible working and al training days.
Pros
Close to shops.
Cons
Very busy office environment.
hours were long & unsocialable,pay was good,work was interesting & varied.there were four different departments childrens,music,general & reference...