Bristol City Council logo
Bristol City Council

Bristol City Council Employee Reviews

Fun, rewarding but can be tricky to navigate

The work was always rewarding, and it was possible to actually make a difference in peoples lives. A diverse workforce, who enjoyed their jobs and wanted others to succeed. Much of the wider organisation can be rather opaque and difficult to understand how anything is made to happen given the levels of policies and paperwork involved.

Pros

Good pension and training

Cons

Lots of paperwork and policies.

Too much work politics. Too much hasseling.

No proper training . Tasks are not very well explained. No appreciation for going extra mile. Not flexible. No framework for task. not very well organised work

Pros

Some nice people Good IT support.

Cons

No proper training. Too mucj hasseling.

Bullying

There was a very poor Esteem in the workplace due to some managers I enjoyed the job but the managers were awful if you were friend of family you can move up the ladder quickly other wise you had no chance to get on

Pros

Job

Cons

Gary hill

Nice

good place to work. Nice people. Nice environment. Nice offices. Tesco nearby. Museum close and lovely city centre also there. honest pay. nothing to complain. too bad it was quick.

Nice Place To Work

Bristol City Council was a good place to work with good work culture and the benefits of working for a Government Department were very good with a good pension

Pros

Good Pension

Ok

I had a lot of training at Bristol City Council which has put me in good stead for future work. I was part of an admin team in the HR / Admin department which consisted of 13 people.

Very good stress free environment

A stress free environment with easy to get along with people. I learnt organisation skills that I will take with me to my next employer The hardest part was that sometimes there wasn't enough work during the day to keep you fully busy

Do not work for

Do not work for there bullies and they do nothing to help you unless it helps them. If you a temp you get treated even worse. You can get a better job else where and much much much more opportunity to climb the ladder somewhere else. Iv worked for them for 11 years and now I'm leaving as it gets so bad u feel mentally depressed. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM

Un-inspiring experience.

More concerned with meeting selection diversity, than work output and effectiveness! Nothing else can be said. Management regime which has huge underlying prejudices and conflicting interests. In summary, ineffectual and very inefficient. I had to keep on asking for more work. No potential to increase income. No overtime. In fact, they encourage buying more holiday!

Disappointing

I was so happy when I was offered a job at Bristol. 18 months after there was the first reorganisation - I had to reapply for my job and it went to a younger male colleague who was far less experienced and qualified. I was seconded to another role for one year; a role I hated and below my capabilities. I was at risk of redundancy again and moved to a job where I was bullied. I resigned.

Pros

Local government conditions

Cons

Bullying by Councillors and unfriendly workplace

Jobs at Bristol City Council

See more jobs

Typical day- changeable What I learnt- There are many processes Work place culture- collaborative, respectful, communicative Hardest part of the job- Balancing risk The most enjoyable part of the job- working within a supportive team.

Challenging

Typical day was working with stakeholders to find an automation tool for their Salesforce CRM software. In addition to developing a plan for the production of a Regression pack for the app.

Work package flexi time, holidays, sick leave etc excellent

My criticism is the workplace culture. Management is weak and has no backbone. Not interested in staff whatsoever only covering their own back. Willing to lie as necessary to protect themselves and very dishonest. They fail to deal with bad behaviour amongst their own kind (supervisor) and management stick together and lie accordingly to protect each other. Even lie to Personnel if necessary to cover their own failings when failed to deal with problem straightaway, even when witnessed. When Personnel asked why not dealt with straightaway at meeting, manager replied that I had asked them not to and keep confidential. Even forge sickness record and lie about why someone absent eg put down stress (not work related) when indeed it was work related! This happened to me in Housing Planned Programmes. I returned to work on the first occasion but happened again later on as problem with supervisor not resolved. Out with work related stress again and unable to return this time as all trust destroyed by management. I was dismissed (after over 20 years service!),

I was a contractor working for Bristol City

Stessful because of the nature of the job assessing Housing Benefit, stressful becasue of the open emity from one or 2 members of the work force, stressful because you neverjnew how long the job would go. Relaxed becase on the whole wonderful people to work for, management were appraocable, and protected me when they realised the issue. Work Life balance - I worked from home and loved coming into Bristol to work prior to that.

Very supportive of workforce

Excellent employer supportive of staff and highly customer focused. Relaxed management style allowing individuals to self manage and deliver an excellent customer service which was expressed in the customer feedback received.

Changes over the years

Loved working with Bristol City Council up to the last couple of years when the council decided to close all the residential homes. Management changed which at the time I felt weren’t all for the best and the residents in the homes were forgotten by higher management whilst the home closure process was happening. Treatment of excellent experienced staff was appalling and hundreds of Staff were made redundant.

Pros

Caring for people with dementia

Cons

Choices made by higher management

Awful

The managers are awful especially in the rents department. They are racist and do not care about staff wellbeing. I worked there for just short of 2 years. I went through a difficult time loosing a few family member in the same month and they told me not to come back because i wasnt fit to work. They pile a lot of work and stress on to you and if you dont get it done each week they will sack on. This resulted in me working 7-7 and not getting paid any over time. My manager used to always just put basic hours on my timesheet despite all the extra i worked. I would never work there again - very hostile environment and not a nice place to work

My Experience as a Domestic Cleaner

On a typical day, I sign my name and i take a key and begin vacumming all the rooms.I Also wipe the tables and i proceed to clean the toliets on a daily basis.

I went as agency, the training was minimal and not consistent

I went as agency, the actual training was minimal although they did let me shadow - very useful. The training was not consistent and some of it (IT related) did not function. The actual team members were mostly lovely although I did feel that ‘my face did not fit’. On the whole I did feel unwelcome

Workshop leader

I enjoyed working as a Dance workshop leader in secondary school with Bristol city council and as a ABA VP therapist is both roles I learnt many new skills.

Great

Great company to work for, with great benefits, company vehicle, uniform provided, holiday pay, sick pay, good salary, I’m leaving as I am relocating.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bristol City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement