Bristol City Council

Bristol City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom156 reviews

councilcitycolleaguesupportroleteammembersupportive

Work life balance

Great work life balance but salary not competitive with private equivalents. Large gaps of management support and lack of investment in individuals. Can be rewarding.

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Short staffed in many areas

Public service: very low pay, extremely understaffed

No practical strategies from management, constant changes at the top, not listened too, political issues at every stage of every decision, too much red tape, too much work, no understanding from senior management

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Not enough staff too much work no funding

Insights into Bristol City Council

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Council was not doing there job properly

It was Good at first I loved it, then the boss employed his mate then I felt I was being pushed out, never got any more overtime as I felt I was worth more than that, certain boss made me feel uncomfortable, all the diversity corses I went on was a absolutely waste of time

Efficient

Easy to be left to do what needed to be done. Kept on time and out of teachers way and had what was beeded done when needed. People were nice and had nice time there.

Pros

Finished before time can leave early

Cons

Hot days make you sweat alot

Good environment

My time although short, was very insightful I felt that I was appreciated. They made me feel welcome and ensured any special equipment I needed was available.

Rubbish

Don’t bother was really excited to be offered a job with Bristol City Council in the caretaking department. Very poorly paid , the job you do is not appreciated at all by your superiors or by the tenants themselves. If you like tidying up after other people and getting abuse with zero support from your Team leader and Coordinator for Rubbish pay then join Bristol City Council. Also the pay was so poor I found myself having to use a Foodbank for the first time in my life.

Licensing Officer was a great way for me to learn more things that I had no knowledge of.

Working with my colleagues & being a team player was important to me so it was great that they supported me when I needed it and I did the same for them.

Worst place

poor management no respect at all if you hard worker they give you all the time harderst work in company for example work on the recycling supervises bulling you all the time expect finish work but many rounds impossible finish . i’m not recommending this place at all

Pros

Social hours

Good benefits m

Stressful rushing around, hope not to get a speeding ticket.Difficult delivering on time due to traffic and drops. Good support from colleagues,

Pros

Pension

Cons

Commute

Fun workplace, very productive and friendly

I don’t know what to put here other than I’m a caretaker I work in maintenance and it’s a very friendly and fun environment with lots of task to do to keep you busy

Collaborative Workplace

Positive experience. Have enjoyed working here and the collaborative nature of the team I am in. Work from home has meant I have less insight into the wider organisation.

Stressful and unorganised. Mental health is a little bit ignored here, only care out KPIs/Targets than wellbeing.

It was ok in the beginning but got worse the longer you stay. Constant abuse on the phones with no support after the fact. Really unorganised and always hear a different answer whenever you ask for help.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Not great pay and abuse on the phone

Busy b.training good

Company busy .training is a must lots of driving though in day and night. COVID in community so extra protection taken.good company to work for salary fair training at hand on e learning

Pros

Large company

Cons

Busy in the community .lots of driving

Good

REally enjoyed working at Bristol city council. My manager was really supportive and always tehre when I needed her. My colleagues were really nice and friendly.

Really enjoyed my time working at Bristol City Council if I hadn’t have moved from Bristol I would have stayed

I loved the fact that you got flexi time so you can accrue hours and then get a day off in return. The team I worked with were fab and we all worked hard to achieve the best possible outcome for the customers.

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Pay could be a little better for the responsibility of the job.

Amazing workplace!

I am currently working at Bristol City Council and do love my job. There are lots development options, needs self-motivation. It takes a bit too long for things to happen and actions to be taken with no fault of the Management but long procedures.

Pros

Lots opportunities, friendly environment, secure workplace.

Cons

Too long time for things to happen.

Very nice workplace and great co-workers

It was lovely working for the council. if i had the chance i would work for BCC again. Managers down to earth and very approachable. Amazing co-workers.

Pros

No pressure, efficient procedures, communicative team. life work balance

Cons

Not enough hours. pay was average. weather

Great place to learn grow and achieve goals

Great place to learn and achieve your goals, mentors available to help with learning.Every day is different which Adds to the positivity of the place , great colleagues with great benefits

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

People still working from home

Friendly place to work

Came back after Sheilding sent to different building as it was safer to work in ,Then 6 weeks later told I would lose my shift allowance or go back to Cityhall reception.Being worried about COVID 19 decided to stay in the safer building they put me in ,I reckon that I shouldn’t have lost my shift allowance £2500 per year seeing it was seen as Safer place to work

Pros

Secure job

Cons

Not always listen too, more incidents with public anger

Interesting times : Great memories

I enjoyed my time at BCC, The People made the job. Management wasn’t always supportive as it could have been, If there was a chance to put you on a stage 1/2 at the slightest thing they would take it. However I will say that they gave me the time and the financial support with physio when I hurt my back through heavy lifting when I was referred to occupational health.Wages desperately needs to be reviewed as does all public sector pay, We are not in 1996 anymore.The job was what it was. The people make the job.

Pros

Not having to work weekends if you don’t want to.

Cons

Management & Pay

Too much work politics. Too much hasseling.

No proper training . Tasks are not very well explained. No appreciation for going extra mile. Not flexible. No framework for task. not very well organised work

Pros

Some nice people Good IT support.

Cons

No proper training. Too mucj hasseling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bristol City Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Bristol City Council with

Learn about Bristol City Council in popular locations

• Bristol City Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?