Bristol City Council

Bristol City Council Employee Reviews for Housing Officer

Housing Officer6 reviews
United Kingdom6 reviews

councilcitycolleaguesupportroleteammembersupportive

Fast paced stressful environment. Very interesting work.

Good job, with lots of variety. Stressful but rewarding at the same time. Good work life balance, Cons : high workloads and targets that are not always realistic.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

High stress levels

Statistic Focused & thank less job, wrapped up in bureaucracy

New management has made the role more stressful. Only interested in hitting irrelevant targets, which is not possible with current work load, and working with vulnerable people. No support from Supervisors, just pressure. My role was becoming more dangerous and without Police support I was still expected to go to 'No GO Zones', lack of PPE and training. No money to sign-post people to get the help they need, will only become more difficult.

Insights into Bristol City Council

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

It's Ok

Busy and very pressurised. I've learned to get in with my job and keep my head down, and can no longer enjoy the job I love. I manage 2 patches in the Bristol area covering which equate to about 1500 hundred properties, including shelter schemes. The work place culture is very pressurised and it's affecting staff and the way we work, which s not good. We are (in my opinion) moving away from our customer focus, which is very frustrating, and we're not (in my opinion) meeting their needs, which is a shame. The hardest part of the job, is not being effective, which disheartens me and many of my colleagues who have been doing this job for many years. I know changes are inevitable and I'm all for moving forward (New Ways Of Working), but the lack of consultation / communication to staff from Senior Management is non existent. The most enjoyable thing about my job is meeting with people, face to face work. Meeting with vulnerable people and assisting them with their needs, and modifying their expectations if necessary. I don;t believe in making false promises and / or appeasing people for the sake of it because experience has told me that it does not work.

Pros

Meeting people

Cons

Very pressurised working conditions

Goals not realistic

It is a multicultural environment and I had the opportunity to enjoy flexitime, however in the area I worked in, goals were not realistic and there were a lot of people who were very unhappy. As a result the organisation needed to train groups of people several times a year during several months as there is a lot of job rotation due to lack of motivation. It seems that this has not changed and things are getting worse.

Pros

Flexitime

Cons

There is no time to provide good customer service / Goals unrealistic

Not employee friendly management.

Bristol City Council, on the whole do not value its staff, they anti disability and also have a culture in ensuring certain individuals are successful in being promoted. There are are very few ethnic minority staff at Manager level and above. There is not a secure job environment, and in truth there is a yearly structure review with job losses, but are employing apprentices to cover this.

Pros

Local Goverment Pension Scheme

Cons

No job security

Very supportive environment

Such a varied role, the day would go so quickly, a good level of support from management and the team. Very good communication in the organisation with opportunities to contribute to the ethos within the working environment.

Pros

Lot's of training

Cons

difficult clients at times

Jobs at Bristol City Council