British Airways

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Stressful. Competitive. Gone worse over the years.

The job itself is good. You get to work with many different people. Company does not care for their employees. Stressful environment, constantly watching to see whether you make mistake.

Hate it all

Don’t even bother with BA. They’re clueless, don’t care about their staff and have no idea how to look after their workforce. I left as soon as I could.

Pros

Travel

Cons

All of it

Not what it was, still not the worst place.

Different contracts. People paid different for the same job.Feels stagnate at times but can be an interesting place to work sometimes. Career progression isn't great.

Pros

The people

Cons

No overtime and career progression isn't great.

Management are the worst. A lot of stress in your role. Lack of support!

Awful company to work for. If you’re thinking of applying, DON’T. They do not care about the staff or personal issues you may have. Offer no support. Over worked.

Pros

Travel and see the world Different full time and part time contracts Colleagues

Cons

Salary Pay Hours Management

Great role ruined by poor management

Working as a flight attendant is amazing and with BA you get to see the world as we have so many routes on our network. Over the past few years salaries have been cut severely and sometimes our allowances do not cover meals when we are away from base. Management onboard is hit and miss, some amazing and some shockingly poor. Higher level management the worst you could imagine.

Pros

Great crew, good routes

Cons

Salary, management

A greedy company with total lack of morals and complete disregard of loyal employees mental health, livelihoods and wellbeing.

Working for British airways for a good number of years. The company is ran by shareholders who do not care about employees one bit. Only the profit they can squeeze out of customers and their staff to line their pockets. Front line staff such as cabin crew are worked like dogs for an unsurvivable salary. Employees mental health is constantly tested and abused by the company and zero duty of care.

Pros

The loyal staff are brilliant

Cons

Unsociable hours, Constant pay cuts, Low wages, Disgusting sickness process, Constant threats of Dismissal, Unclean environment, Shoddy customer products, catering and aircraft, Useless management, Company based on pure financial greed

Decent work environment

Decent enviroment secure, everyone gets a fair chance at promotionKeep your nose clean youll be fineMost staff from same backgrounds so everyone gets along ok

Pros

See the world

Cons

Early/late starts

Fun place to work

I worked for BA for 38 year’s both as ground staff & as Cabin Crew. Saw many changes in that time. Overall I had a fantastic experience, it was the people. We call it our BA family. Have met lifelong real friends & have seen the word - well not all of it, but overall a great place to work & I will miss it when I leave in December.

Pros

The people & lifes experiences, seeing the world

Cons

Long hours, jet lag

Concessions, trevelling to countries all over the world.

I had an amazing career with British Airways, spanning over 33yeats, that speaks for itself. I saw a lot of changes some for the good and some that took time and patience to get use to. I miss my time with BA but have such fond memories. It isn't a job for the faint hearted. Long hours and often difficult decisions to make.I took with me a lot of skills but also learnt a wealth of skills whilst employed by BA.

Pros

Concessions/ traveling to countries all over the world and meeting people from all walks of life

Cons

Long duty days

Longest career ever!

Being a flight attendant for BA is a great job and if it wasn’t for my health issues I wouldn’t have ever left! You got to try it while you’re young! Later on in life it might become too tiring!

Pros

Seeing the world, crew, time off

Cons

Tiredness, health issues

Not the BA I once loved and would give all

BA is not the company I joined spending 20years of my life. Where a job for life was they BA way then it changed and the culture became toxic, you get managers that use their position fair and honesty is not what the manages are, the old school staff that was BA through and through to employing cheap labour

Pros

Get to meet sine good people

Cons

staff travel, lying manages. Pay unfair

Avoid at all costs even if you are desperate

Do NOT apply. Before even joining, the process of getting security clearance was made difficult by the company as they will lose your references without fail and constantly move your start date with no consideration for yourself. You are treated as a number, management do not have empathy and trial new/different processes every couple months to try and cost-save without any understanding of its impact to staff, only for it to fail anyway. Merging departments together to cost save, making employees do extra duties whilst taking a pay CUT. I was offered a promotion after passing all the selection processes, and was then given excuses for 2 years by management on why I was still waiting to be moved into the new role, only for them to use COVID as an excuse to not give me it. Even the unions are hopeless and do not help members. Payroll haven't got a clue how to get the correct pay issued. For nearly 2 years I was paid incorrectly every month without fail. This problem became worse when furlough was introduced. Please do not make the mistake I did and apply for this company, which was once a very prestigious brand and working environment. Behind the 'great customer service' you may experience/see is a mistreated and undervalued workforce, overseen by a 'safety for employees first,... unless it affects performance' type management.

Pros

Lots of breaks, friendly colleagues, flexible annual leave/shift swapping

Cons

Treated as a number, Hassle to get anything sorted admin/payroll concerned, management only contact you when something goes wrong.

Company don’t care about its cabin crew

I’ve been at BA now for over 3 years. At the beginning I was incredibly excited to begin as it’s all I ever wanted. Now after 3 years I can’t say I enjoy the job nor do I like the company.They treat cabin crew like dirt. I’m full time (100%) and qualified… I make an average of £23,800 no where near what they advertise. The company always ask of us but never reward us. Rosters are never on time and are unstable. No way to contact scheduling so pretty much no control over roster. Sickness levels are a joke and tightly controlled and you will be told off for going sick. Some month I got barley over £1,200. Pilots are treated like gods. For example on short haul they get meals provided both ways whereas often there’s only 1 or 2 hots for cabin crew on a Larnaca and back.Trying to take annual leave when you want is impossible and don’t expect Christmas’s off. Management is useless. The Crew Success managers are useless as are the DOMs, and offer no support. The company don’t offer support and really don’t care. I’d strongly suggest you look at other airlines or one that’s actually treats it’s cabin crew decently.

Pros

Good staff (cabin crew), decent staff travel, nice meals if you get one

Cons

Long hours, no control over rosters, management don’t care, awful salary, bad sickness policy, constant threats from the company.

Not for the fainthearted.

I am a people's person and as such I enjoyed the actual job of having been a cabin crew for British Airways that I persevered for 21 years. A credit to my tenacity that I lasted that long. The first 5 years was great as the management at that time cared somehow for its employees. The second half of my career was absolutely awful as cabin crew were expected to constantly apologise to the customers on most flights as hard products were always lacking especially the premium products and food choices. Passengers were treated as cash cows and workers were treated as work horses. Should anyone want to work for BA, bear in mind that you are likely going to be exposed to toxic fumes/contaminated air. Please do not take my word for it. Research, research research because this is going to be brushed under the carpet by BA. Cabin crew can become very ill from the toxic fumes. Although it can be detoxed painstakingly so long as you know how. The detox cost is very expensive too. The effects of the toxic fume exposure can be very debilitating for years and in some cases sudden death. In most cases, the symptoms of brain fog, joint pains, flu-like symptoms are sadly put down by customers, in most cases by pilots and cabin crew alike as jetlag.

Pros

Travel, see places.

Cons

Management, aerotoxins, jetlag, be ready to apologise to customers.

Lifestyle role

Many ups and downs with management and therefore job security over the years. However it was a job I stayed in for 22 years only leaving for personal reasons and long to go back

Pros

Travel, flexible, days off, experience, people

Cons

Great to see the world and meet people

Excellent training opportunities and advancement.good discounted travel. Uniform provided. Nice environment to work. Meet loads of people. Fair and reasonable employers.

Typical corporate company management is very poor.

The environment can be very stressful so be prepared. If you enjoy that kind of thing then fair enough. The management is extremely poor its been mentioned before and it's true so just take note of that. You can work very long hours and are expected to adapt at any moment. I think for the amount of work we do and the stress we are put under is not worth the pay. If you're only interested in travel then I guess you can manage. However, a job should be a somewhat positive experience overall.You are on your own and I mean that literally, you have to make sure you cover your back for everything. If you're diligent enough then you'll be okay. Good luck

Pros

Shift swaps are pretty easy

Cons

Long hours, poor management, stressful

Great people poor management

I would suggest that whatever the management team tell you the reverse is probably true. They do like to use the disciplinary policy a lot even with the smallest error.Definitely not a place to travel if your area is prone to winter weather as they will not budge on timekeeping and one bad week can leave you on a warning. The shop floor staff are warm and friendly and that’s the only positive I can muster.

Pros

Cheap flights in employment over 5 years

Cons

Long days with strange start/finish times

Changed over the years

I was an employee for 38 years and at first it was a good place to work and was customer AND employee centred but over the years of became a case of more work, more responsibility, erosion of pay and conditions and after being bought by IAG it's sole purpose became to make money for IAG shareholders and the work became a case of faster, faster, more, more. I'm glad I retired before the pandemic bit

Pros

Cheap travel

Cons

12 hour shifts

Poor management

It used to be a great place to work. It has been poisoned by greed and lies by management. Came redundancies all handled terribly by management. All .done by. Email, cold, impersonal, unprofessional

Pros

Travel and see the world and colleagues

Cons

Weak, predatory management that feeds on the weaker

Productive and Fun

British airways us a great company to work for .I had a lovely time working with them and really glad I was able to work for one of the best companies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Airways. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare British Airways with

• British Airways
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?