British Airways

British Airways Employee Reviews

Found 893 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,325 reviews

Lifestyle role

Many ups and downs with management and therefore job security over the years. However it was a job I stayed in for 22 years only leaving for personal reasons and long to go back

Pros

Travel, flexible, days off, experience, people

Cons

Concessions, trevelling to countries all over the world.

I had an amazing career with British Airways, spanning over 33yeats, that speaks for itself. I saw a lot of changes some for the good and some that took time and patience to get use to. I miss my time with BA but have such fond memories. It isn't a job for the faint hearted. Long hours and often difficult decisions to make.I took with me a lot of skills but also learnt a wealth of skills whilst employed by BA.

Pros

Concessions/ traveling to countries all over the world and meeting people from all walks of life

Cons

Long duty days

Longest career ever!

Being a flight attendant for BA is a great job and if it wasn’t for my health issues I wouldn’t have ever left! You got to try it while you’re young! Later on in life it might become too tiring!

Pros

Seeing the world, crew, time off

Cons

Tiredness, health issues

Not the BA I once loved and would give all

BA is not the company I joined spending 20years of my life. Where a job for life was they BA way then it changed and the culture became toxic, you get managers that use their position fair and honesty is not what the manages are, the old school staff that was BA through and through to employing cheap labour

Pros

Get to meet sine good people

Cons

staff travel, lying manages. Pay unfair

Avoid at all costs even if you are desperate

Do NOT apply. Before even joining, the process of getting security clearance was made difficult by the company as they will lose your references without fail and constantly move your start date with no consideration for yourself. You are treated as a number, management do not have empathy and trial new/different processes every couple months to try and cost-save without any understanding of its impact to staff, only for it to fail anyway. Merging departments together to cost save, making employees do extra duties whilst taking a pay CUT. I was offered a promotion after passing all the selection processes, and was then given excuses for 2 years by management on why I was still waiting to be moved into the new role, only for them to use COVID as an excuse to not give me it. Even the unions are hopeless and do not help members. Payroll haven't got a clue how to get the correct pay issued. For nearly 2 years I was paid incorrectly every month without fail. This problem became worse when furlough was introduced. Please do not make the mistake I did and apply for this company, which was once a very prestigious brand and working environment. Behind the 'great customer service' you may experience/see is a mistreated and undervalued workforce, overseen by a 'safety for employees first,... unless it affects performance' type management.

Pros

Lots of breaks, friendly colleagues, flexible annual leave/shift swapping

Cons

Treated as a number, Hassle to get anything sorted admin/payroll concerned, management only contact you when something goes wrong.

Company don’t care about its cabin crew

I’ve been at BA now for over 3 years. At the beginning I was incredibly excited to begin as it’s all I ever wanted. Now after 3 years I can’t say I enjoy the job nor do I like the company.They treat cabin crew like dirt. I’m full time (100%) and qualified… I make an average of £23,800 no where near what they advertise. The company always ask of us but never reward us. Rosters are never on time and are unstable. No way to contact scheduling so pretty much no control over roster. Sickness levels are a joke and tightly controlled and you will be told off for going sick. Some month I got barley over £1,200. Pilots are treated like gods. For example on short haul they get meals provided both ways whereas often there’s only 1 or 2 hots for cabin crew on a Larnaca and back.Trying to take annual leave when you want is impossible and don’t expect Christmas’s off. Management is useless. The Crew Success managers are useless as are the DOMs, and offer no support. The company don’t offer support and really don’t care. I’d strongly suggest you look at other airlines or one that’s actually treats it’s cabin crew decently.

Pros

Good staff (cabin crew), decent staff travel, nice meals if you get one

Cons

Long hours, no control over rosters, management don’t care, awful salary, bad sickness policy, constant threats from the company.

Not for the fainthearted.

I am a people's person and as such I enjoyed the actual job of having been a cabin crew for British Airways that I persevered for 21 years. A credit to my tenacity that I lasted that long. The first 5 years was great as the management at that time cared somehow for its employees. The second half of my career was absolutely awful as cabin crew were expected to constantly apologise to the customers on most flights as hard products were always lacking especially the premium products and food choices. Passengers were treated as cash cows and workers were treated as work horses. Should anyone want to work for BA, bear in mind that you are likely going to be exposed to toxic fumes/contaminated air. Please do not take my word for it. Research, research research because this is going to be brushed under the carpet by BA. Cabin crew can become very ill from the toxic fumes. Although it can be detoxed painstakingly so long as you know how. The detox cost is very expensive too. The effects of the toxic fume exposure can be very debilitating for years and in some cases sudden death. In most cases, the symptoms of brain fog, joint pains, flu-like symptoms are sadly put down by customers, in most cases by pilots and cabin crew alike as jetlag.

Pros

Travel, see places.

Cons

Management, aerotoxins, jetlag, be ready to apologise to customers.

Great to see the world and meet people

Excellent training opportunities and advancement.good discounted travel. Uniform provided. Nice environment to work. Meet loads of people. Fair and reasonable employers.

Typical corporate company management is very poor.

The environment can be very stressful so be prepared. If you enjoy that kind of thing then fair enough. The management is extremely poor its been mentioned before and it's true so just take note of that. You can work very long hours and are expected to adapt at any moment. I think for the amount of work we do and the stress we are put under is not worth the pay. If you're only interested in travel then I guess you can manage. However, a job should be a somewhat positive experience overall.You are on your own and I mean that literally, you have to make sure you cover your back for everything. If you're diligent enough then you'll be okay. Good luck

Pros

Shift swaps are pretty easy

Cons

Long hours, poor management, stressful

Great people poor management

I would suggest that whatever the management team tell you the reverse is probably true. They do like to use the disciplinary policy a lot even with the smallest error.Definitely not a place to travel if your area is prone to winter weather as they will not budge on timekeeping and one bad week can leave you on a warning. The shop floor staff are warm and friendly and that’s the only positive I can muster.

Pros

Cheap flights in employment over 5 years

Cons

Long days with strange start/finish times

Changed over the years

I was an employee for 38 years and at first it was a good place to work and was customer AND employee centred but over the years of became a case of more work, more responsibility, erosion of pay and conditions and after being bought by IAG it's sole purpose became to make money for IAG shareholders and the work became a case of faster, faster, more, more. I'm glad I retired before the pandemic bit

Pros

Cheap travel

Cons

12 hour shifts

Poor management

It used to be a great place to work. It has been poisoned by greed and lies by management. Came redundancies all handled terribly by management. All .done by. Email, cold, impersonal, unprofessional

Pros

Travel and see the world and colleagues

Cons

Weak, predatory management that feeds on the weaker

Productive and Fun

British airways us a great company to work for .I had a lovely time working with them and really glad I was able to work for one of the best companies

Never valued

I will whole heartedly be honest in saying it’s one of the best jobs with the best colleagues I have ever had, however, the company (confident 99% would agree) are absolutely horrendous to work for. You will be treated like a number with poor pay, terrible lack of respect for your hard work and made aware that you are always and easily replaced. I’m afraid it’s very profit orientated now and when they say the customer lies at the heart of everything they do (never their employees btw even although you pour your heart and soul into your job) they actually mean their profits! And they don’t care how many times you feed this back. Great job, awful, brutal company.

Pros

Lifestyle

Cons

Pay. Work life balance. Company. Management.

Employeur déplorable.

Ne respecte pas ses employés. Essayez plutôt de travailler chez Air France, grande différence !

Cons

N ont pas hesité à licencier brutalement 12000 PNC sans aucun empathie.

Flying high

Depending what base you are at, your experience will differ tremdously. As Heathrow is where head office is based, everyone is highly stressed- even if they don't know it yet. Lcy and Gatwick are more relaxed and a joy to work at. BA as a company is great but some managers and staff haven't got the memo yet. Great traingband development on offer and you learn so much about yourself.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Bullying and harassment

Fun work place really enjoyed it !

I worked for ba for over a year loved the team I worked with . Well thought out and mama get was lovely really understood you if had any difficulty or any issues .

Pros

Breaks you got

Cons

Pretty much zero chance of progression

Stressful customer service role that pretty much consists of nothing but complaints. Don’t expect to advance/progress in this company unless you have relations with higher ups! Terrible wage when you consider the unsociable hours and complexity of the job.

Pros

Staff/facilities

Cons

Hours and wage

Asking for too much of their staff !!!

I've worked for Ba for over a year from beginning to end it has been stressful the training is 6 weeks long that's fun but once you get on the phones it's a case of the people in charge divert all the other departments calls through to the executive club department so you have customers who have been waiting for an hour screaming at you ,as they now need to redial another number , they have a quality scheme to mark calls 240 seconds to finish up a call make notes and jump on to the next customer , a 45 Mon lunch break and two 15 Min breaks they ask you to say so many different things to the customer and the list gets longer each month , don't gete wrong the management is brilliant but the people in charge of the document s and what you should be doing , and the money you are paid to have the stress lingerie over you for days is not worth it at all avoid at all costs if you don't want to end up in a dark place

Pros

Cons

long hours, awful requirements, expect too much, poor pay

It was routine job

I was in baggage and ground operation job was very fast and demanding it was a shift work I know my rota a month a head so I was able to plan my month

Pros

Nothing was free everything was on standard rates

Cons

Shift work early and late start 7 on 3 off 7 on 4 off

Bullying management

Back stabbing and unnecessary stressful place to work. You’re treated with contempt and micro managed. I would not recommend working for British airways

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Airways. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement