British Red Cross
Happiness score is 68 out of 100

British Red Cross Employee Reviews

United Kingdom880 reviews

Great people and place to work,

Working for the red cross was an amazing experience and I loved every minute of it, I had good and bad days but the support I had behind me was amazing, from great service users, work colleagues all the way up to management.

The volunteers have more rights than staff

The company is so worried about getting bad publicity so if a volunteer/s or even staff are causing issues they expect you to allow it and not rock the boat too much as they do not want any negativity towards the company. Managers are overworked and frustrated about not being able to manage staff in a normal fashion.

Pros

You can meet some lovely people

Cons

Upper management HR

Hard work more than you think it entails

Great job too many overhours no overtime payments just toil. Too many"Extras" added onto the training day. Some days travelling 100 miles early starts late finishes. Planning prep cleaning setting up and down of equipment along with cleaning etc etc.

Cons

Long hours no life

zero work life balance, you are either working or resting.

training given is not sufficent you are worked well over your contracted hours and expected to do this without complaint/accept it.other staff are either great to work with or terrible to work with. shift patterns can be long and work life balance is non-existent.

Pros

mileage was paid for management were mostly understanding of abscences.

Cons

mileage was not always paid on time overworked undertrained underpaid

Dynamic and rewarding environment

Worked here for 2 years and absolutely love it. Still here and will likely be for many more years!! Lots of training provided, we have an excellent team of volunteers and staff. Every day is different and it is so rewarding and fulfilling knowing that the work we do is making a difference to people's lives.

Would not recommend to work in retial

It may not be all over the UK but certainly where I was based (not located near any other stores) it was like we were the forgotten shop. I had to ask over and over again to meet any management above me was thrown in at deep end and if there was any issues I just got passed from one person to the next and things took a long time to get sorted sometimes it never did. Management didn't seem to care about its staff at all just a number if that.

Pros

Left to own device in shop

Cons

Bad management

Rewarding and fun

Being a shop manager is a physical and hard working position however the company is one of the best to work for and the work is very rewarding. Rapport between management, staff and volunteers is excellent and all work together as one big team to achieve the most money for the charity.

Pros

Free to express yourself

Cons

Lower salary than other charities

Support at Home

I'm not here very long but can tell a few words about it. Salary isn't bad but the hours you have to work are very long, you do 4 split shifts 7-22 every second week plus half shifts (7h) for rest of the week (7 day working week). As a new person I also been send to people I never been before and didn't know their daily routines which sometimes annoyed them. You will never know what hours you'll be working cos they can change it in app on the go (annoying). Personally I miss consistency of "regular" job

Pros

Good salary, talk to service users, gain qualifications

Cons

Split shifts, no consistent hours and days off, changes at last moment, long hours

Great place to work everybody got on well and it was fun

Great place to work easy to learn always find somebody to to help if needed.was able to balance work and home life well .was out all day find new places and learning new skills

Pros

Meet new people

Terrible

Only yearly contract. Supposed to give you 3 months notice of ongoing contract but gave 2 weeks. All staff had contracts cut in half with only 2 weeks notice then took on extra staff to cover hours. Extremely poor communication and considering they're about people's wellbeing they really don't!!

Pros

No pros

Can be a fun workplace

Staff and volunteers were very welcoming, enjoyed my time with them. You are appreciated at all levels as a volunteer but not sure how the full time paid staff are treated.

Pros

Exciting events to cover sometimes

Cons

Long hrs.

Really challenging days, lone working, high travel, little reward, very little support..

This is the most challenging role working through lockdown and still to feel safe and appreciated by this company considering we are a charity and support people, I am definitely not feeling like this. Others have completely taken advantage of the furlough system and left others picking up extra stress not even recognised.

Pros

Cons

Salary is a joke for what is expected.

Loved it

Worked in HR team and I loved every minute of it. Very busy job but the team were so welcoming and friendly. Although, due to being a charity the salary is very low in comparison to other roles.

Pros

Lovely team, nice office and great culture

Cons

Low salary, not much room for profession

productive

only worked for three months and it was ok because it was a first ever experience for me as a vounteer and I did not enjoy purely becasuse retail is not my critteria otherwise manager was really supportive and the staff and other volunteers were very friendly👍😀

Pros

excellent supportive manager and the other volunteers👍👍👍👍👍

Cons

shop is very small🥺

Volunteering

Very relaxed, you could choose to work whatever days you would like. If I couldn't work one week, they were very understanding and allowed me to have the day off. Very comfortable environment, often working with people from other companies (NHS, St John's Ambulance). Interview was really relaxed, basically just a chat about yourself to give the interviewer a feel if you are right for the position or not. Highly recommend if you want to do some volunteer work

No care for their employee’s whatsoever

I have enjoyed my time at the Red Cross, doing a job which I have loved almost every minute of. The Red Cross, in theory, stand by a very good cause, one which has given me great pride to uphold. However,Managerially, the business is a shambles. For a company that SHOULD be upholding care and compassion, the managers have very little care for their employee’s and will quite happily take advantage of their kind nature. Little to no care was shown to us when our contract was ending (which was a 0 hour contract may I just add), and we had a great difficulty getting any evidence of any training we had to then show any future employers. The training team have NO communication with their employee’s whatsoever, ignoring emails left right and centre from all of their staff.I understand that the circumstances in losing contracts cannot be helped, however the way in which the Red Cross is organised and the way in which they have managed the situation has been appalling. All in all, I would rate the Red Cross 4/10, however I cannot deny how much I have enjoyed the job itself.

Pros

Great work colleagues

Cons

Lack of communication

A good foundation

Working at a British Red Cross charity shop was an amazing opportunity with understanding, kind, and considerate staff. Everyone is happy to help and showed the depth of their creativity. It was a wonderful opportunity prior to reengaging in my academic studies.

Pros

Flexable hours, Experience, friendly staff

Cons

No real improvement opportunities for staff

the place of work was fun

this work place was amazing to work i would high recommened this place of work i really enjoyed the time i worked there to the time that it closed down.

Pros

had our own space

Cons

nothing

A fantastic company to work for.

A rewarding job and an opportunity to connect with a community. What you put in in terms of support and effort you get back. Excellent training support at management and volunteer level. No one day is the same.

Pros

Exellent management support. Getting to raise money for charity.

Cons

Very Long hours

British Red Cross is a great place to work

I worked as an Intern despite the fact that i did not have previous work related expereince.The hiring managers made me feel at ease during the entire process and I must say that whole process made me feel empoweredFrom my short stint there I can guarantee that the British Red Cross put their values such a Impartliatity into practice Since mine was an internship role there was no salary involved and since it was covid time ,most of the interactions were online.I received respect and was treated as an equal by all i interacted with at all timesI would recommend the British Red Cross as a great place to work in

Pros

Friendly staff and volunteers

Cons

no stipend paid for interns

Vocational

Retail in the charity sector is very rewarding but can be stressful as one often has to work alone as we are very much dependent on our volunteers. We also are dependent on the generosity of the public to donate goods that we can sort and sell.

Pros

Fun environment

Cons

Lone working.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Red Cross. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2