British Transport Police logo
British Transport Police

British Transport Police Employee Reviews

Special Constable

I left BTP as a London based Special earlier this year and I will have fond memories of policing around London and out in the counties. Many specials join as a stepping stone to become a full time officer, but for me it was just for policing experience. BTP did help my CV in getting a job on the railways and I have come across many regulars who have left to join the railways (a very common thing) as BTP is a close working partner of Train operating companies. I have noticed that Specials are being used more to backfill the lack of regular officers at stations, so we are being asked to do more and more. Nearly all my shifts over-run and the regulars are always grateful for our help. Juggling a full time job (40hrs a week) as a well as Special duties (min 16hrs a month) you need to be careful you dont suffer from burnout.The only main negative is some regular police officers tend to be not very welcoming to Specials, this tends to be out in the counties /further out. I would encourage anyone to join up as a special to gain insight into policing and also you will see another side of life, when dealing with suspects / vulnerable people.

Pros

Exposure to policing, specialised police force, oyster card

Cons

Juggling two jobs, challenging shifts, not enough training for specials and some negative attitudes of regulars towards specials

Rail Secuirty Guard with Police powers

Do not join this force, you will spend 90% of your time stood like a traffic cone at railway stations. HVP- High visibility Patrol is all you'll do, any incidents that happen, you'll call in the police force from the local area because your not trusted to deal with it yourself. You'll feel like a security guard in Police uniform. Some people like standing around feeling important, I'd rather be dealing with incidents and helping the public. Hence why I left and join a real police force. If your a train spotter then maybe you'll enjoy it, if not join your local force not BTP. You'll thank me later. Plus the management in BTP are awful, want you to drop your life for overtime shifts beacuse the footballs on.

Pros

Get paid on time

Cons

Glorified security guard, management team, shift pattern

An excellent work area

I enjoyed everyday working as a police officer at British Transport Police. The people I worked with were a great crowd and we were looked after by out bosses.

Pros

Free train travel

Cons

Shift system

BTP (Big top productions)

The force is corrupt from top to bottom, no support what so ever, basically a glorified security guard for the railway. If you’re not bothered about family and friends join this circus if you want to see your family then don’t, the hours are shocking. What ever you do don’t get a complaint as they will do there best to throw the book at you for there own career progression. Stay clear, the chief constable over the last few years has destroyed the circus.

Pros

Free train travel

Cons

Corruption

Great variety

Enjoyed the different aspects of Policing the railway. No different to Home Office Policing as I previously did. Down side cancelled rest days at very short notice. Sometimes felt that they were going through the motions regarding welfare and support.I miss the banter with colleagues

Best work placement ever

Loved working for the Transport Police and always seeking ways of returning. Staff are all knowledgeable and helpful and have a great respect for employees at all levels

Awful place to work

Single crewed most of the time which is lonely and soul destroying, back up often can be miles away especially in rural areas which pose a threat to officer safety. continuously relying on home office forces to help you out and back you up at jobs often end up working overtime to complete jobs/ when people are in custody which can end up being at work for 15 hours plus never anyone to relieve/ take over from a job hence the long hours. salary is good but not worth it for the stuff you put up with, be prepared to literally give up your life for BTP and say goodbye to your social life. training school is stressful with continuous exams which just isn’t necessary, training school staff are awful and unapproachable ,accommodation for training school is shocking numerous reports of rats and nothing done about it massive health and safety risk. Took over a year to hire me as there was no vacancies where i live, this was not explained to me during the interview process, HR was very unhelpful with the process which nearly resulted in me pulling my application. Would prefer to work in a home office force where you know people have your back when you need it.

Pros

Okay salary

Cons

Long hours/ no work life balance

Good Experience

Excellent opportunity to give back to the community. Fantastic experience that l gained a lot of experience from, such as communication skills, handling conflicts and the pressure in addition to working as a solid team.

Pros

Free travel when on duty

Cons

Night shifts

Terrible place.

Institutionally racist company for blacks and brown people. If you are white you fit right in like a glove and can get away with abusing your brown colleagues.

Pros

Prestige

Cons

institutionally Racist.

Organisation in chaos

This organisation has slipped into a bureaucratic mess where officers spend most of their time sat behind a computer doing paperwork rather than being pro active on the beat detecting and preventing crime.Officer employed by the Force with a completely unsuitable background to be a police officer.Officers not reporting an officers inappropriate association as required.

Pros

Employment stability/security

Cons

Poor shift pattern unsupportive management

Jobs at British Transport Police

See more jobs

Wouldn’t recommend

This is great organisation which was badly managed with little concern for work life balance Rest days a weekends off we’re constantly cancelled due to football and public order priorities Salary is poor until you gain a few years in role I was always working alone on single patrol Policy card Patrol

Pros

Job security

Cons

Shifts time off

Slow paced at times but can be stressful

Stressful at times and not a good work life balance and some bullying in the work place. Good rates of pay however can be confusing on four weekly pay just something to keep in mind,Welfare is not great and management are not supportive in the slightest.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Work life balance

Poor Employmer

After joining the BTP in 2003 I was discriminated by the force 3 years later after applying for a Specialist role which I was more than qualified for. Systemic Racism.

Pros

Good training

Cons

Promotion discrimination

10 years experience as civilian/support staff

Appalling place to work - worst management I have ever seen. There is no acknowledgement whatsoever of people's existing skills, their need/desire for development, or their potential. Blatant favouritism demonstrated. If you're thinking of applying for a job here, please don't - there are so many better employers out there.

Cons

It was the sort of work I was looking for at the time

I enjoyed working with the people and the work was what I wanted to do at the time. They were flexible about the number of hours and start and finish times.

Pros

Conveniently located

Cons

Not well paid and they tend to assume that people with skills are the same as those without.

Great career choice

Great friendly environment to work for very stressful job fast paced great diversity great prospects pension available uniform provided for certain jobs.

Pros

Great government benefits

Cons

Night shifts 12 hours

Excellent police force

I had an Absolutely fabulous and varied career with British transport police. I did every course I ever needed to help with my role. I did almost 40 years on the frontline. If you work hard and show promise they will give you all the tools you need for a long a successful career.

Terrible Employer

The culture that exists within BTP is that of corrosive bullying and harassment. From what I witnessed with each new intake they pick out one or two individuals to pick on and criticise at every opportunity as a direct warning to others to toe the party line, The training is OK but intensive and quite stressful. You are constantly monitored throughout your training and your tutor con can either endorse you or shoot you down in flames for the slightest mistake,The hours and work life balance is frankly terrible, the shifts patterns are long and monotonous with endless dull paperwork to complete. You are openly encouraged to forget your former life and friends and join the so called 'BTP family' therefore living and breathing your job.The bullying and small mindedness is on a par with the worst school bullying imaginable. I was off work sick for 3 day (the only time I was off on sick leave) and the other PC's on my shift actually knocked at my home address to check my sickness was genuine, disgusting. I thankfully resigned after 2 years in the job and have to put it down as by far the worst experience in my life which took me many years to get over. I wasn't alone in this as I met many other serving BTP officers who detested the depressing culture of the job but were reliant on the reasonable wage due to personal circumstances. If you are looking for a job as a Police Officer I would steer anybody away from this dreadful organisation and join one of the far superior county forces.

Knowledge of law highly required

. This is a performance related pay employment . Whatever the work role, time management is needed . Pension is very good . There is plenty of training depending on work role

Enjoy the role

A busy role, with opportunities. It is country wide so there is travelling involved. People are mostly friendly. I enjoy my role, but appreciate it may not be everyones view.

motivating environment, working with some great people.

Enjoyed working there, work was varied opportunity to develop and be proactive. Can be slow to get decisions on actions to be taken and internal politics can be overwhelming. It is a hierarchical organisation but can push through this. There are opportunities to progress if want to. Will go through a vigorous screening process took 3 months from successful interview to final offer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at British Transport Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement