Bruce's

Bruce's Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews

High Turnover of staff

When I first started working here I loved it as it was my dream job but forward a few months my view changed dramatically. We were understaffed most days which made us over ratio for dogs, we would not get a break as no one was able to cover. Higher management used staff as scapegoats due to a high volume of dogs leaving but welfare of the dogs should at the forefront of everything a Doggy daycare stands for. People were forced into leaving due to being treated unfairly and disposable.

Pros

Working with Dogs

Cons

No breaks, long hours

Terrible management ruins it

Very stressful and poorly run. Management cared more for taking in as many dogs as possible for money, than the dogs welfare or that of the staffs. Has such amazing potential, unfortuately falls short.

Insights into Bruce's

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility

Great place to work!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bruce's Doggy Day Care! Senior management and overall Bruce's team are passionate, professional and supportive! Great culture and if you want to join a rapidly expanding company this is the place. Working with dogs is a bonus.

Don’t recommend

Very stressful, no communication, long hours, did not enjoy my time there. The dogs were great, I miss a lot of them and wish they could of come with me.

Boring

I attended a training day at Tunbridge wells branch a week after my interview for doggy/ driver. But wasn't told if i had the job..I took a day off work to attend this and wasn't paid for it.The staff are very young and the language is appalling. I was told to shadow someone and to go out pm to drop the dogs off home . But this didn't happen. Absurd as this was the position I applied for.If you're happy to stand in a small fenced field all day with 20 dog's in all weather conditions and with no coffee breaks then this job is for you.You are basically there to stop the dogs fighting with one another.Not much stimulation for the dogs apart from dog treats thrown around.

Pros

Dogs

Cons

Long hours, no breaks, staffing conditions

Senior Management haven't got a clue

Badly managed business with little regard for staff. They just want the money and don't really care about the welfare of the dogs. The workplace culture was very gossipy and spiteful. Basic provisions like hot running water and toilets were not provided. Difficult to keep the place clean and tidy due to the nature of the job and the lack of space for dogs meant it became a permanent battle with the mud. They say they are fluent in dog but all they are fluent in is getting it wrong and charging a fortune for the privilege and not taking responsibility for getting things so spectacularly wrong.

Pros

Some of the dogs were lovely

Cons

Long hours, no gratitude, nasty staff members, clueless senior management

Poor employment & management

Very poor company to work for especially Wellington, the management is terrible no help at all and a huge safety risk to the dogs and careers, glass and plastic left in the fields for months on end. Management are very rude with no praise just critism. Treat the staff very unfairly as well also get rid of dogs very quickly too. Trust me when I say do not work for this company it may sound exciting working with dogs all day but it’s not them that are the problem it’s the management. Also end up working a lot of overtime without getting a penny for it.

Pros

The dogs are the pros

Cons

The management are the cons

Challenging and Rewarding

Working with dogs is an absolute joy, It's is an all weather job and this can be really tough at times.Most of the day is spent looking after a group of dogs with another carer depending on the size of the group. Keeping the dogs engaged can be really challenging and it is a demanding role with little down time and its often exhausting. I love the workplace culture, there is good team vibe, its friendly and we have regular treats like pizza and coffees delivered by managers who always do their best to keep the teams motivated.The job isn't for everyone, my colleagues who do well here love their jobs, love dogs, take on the challenges, stay positive and happy in the rain and it just suits us. A few staff have left but its often because they aren't up to the job and find it tough.

Pros

dogs, treat days, training

Cons

the rain and mud

Management running into the ground

Used to be a great place to work but have now seen big staff turn over and management making changes to our proposition. Making us work over time without benefits which we do because we love the dogs but it’s not fair. Pay is very low considering what is being charged

Pros

Dogs

Cons

The best job I have had!

I have to say that working at Bruce's has been the best job that I have had. Don't get me wrong, some days its hard work, especially when its raining! Everyday is different and you need to have lots of common sense and be able to problem solve. Oh and decent wellies!The difference for me from other jobs is the non corporate environment, the friendly people and I get everything I need from the management team. Working with and looking after dogs is a real privilege. I cannot believe I get paid to do this!

Pros

Being with dogs!, a friendly team, working outside

Cons

Hard work when its raining and cold

Fun place to work with lots of learning opportunity

I enjoyed working at Bruce's before having to move back home for family reasons. 2020 was a tough year for everyone and I managed to be able to get to work and enjoy my time with the dogs and having some great camaraderie with my team. Customers are always lovely and the business always tries to improve the dog's experience and therefore the customer's experience. I was lucky because before the pandemic we did lots of training with the IMDT and other industry consultants.If you love working hard outside with amazing dogs this is a great job. I will miss it very much and if i ever return to Surrey I will certainly ask Bruce's for a position.

Pros

Playing with dogs, customers and my team are great

Cons

Weather conditions

Honest Review

Management sadly let's this company down, they have the potential to be a great company but act as if staff are dispensable. Expect massive results from staff that are paid minimum wage. Advertise a carer dog ratio of 1:8, in actuality you can be left with 15+ dogs at a time. Impossible to have any 1-2-1 time with the dogs, sadly because they are so money driven they pack in more and more dogs which means when looking after the dogs it's purely crowd control to make sure they don't fight.They expect carers to give ideas on dog management while giving no resources except scatter feeding, which is dangerous as a lot of the dogs develop resource guarding issues. Management is unsupportive, want you to come up with solutions and not create problems but give you no resources to do so.Advertise this great company culture and progression, but nothing ever comes of it. The carers are lovely and genuinely care about the dogs, the carers/ carer drivers work well together but as soon as management get involved fights break out and staff leave unhappy everyday. Management are very forgetful and will change shifts last minute, expect you to work overtime and not complain about it. Don't be fooled by the marketing, look for a smaller daycare that will appreciate their staff and care about every dog individually. Owners are mostly great and really appreciate hard work.

Pros

Carers and dogs are lovely

Cons

Long hours, terrible management

Nice dogs shame about the managers

I was driving a dog bus for six months and found the company to be purely money focused. The dogs can be on the van for over two hours and start to be travel sick ... when I raised the issue with management they made my life difficult until I finally had enough and walked out !!If you care about dog welfare you won’t want to work for this money grabbing company!!

Pros

The dogs

Cons

Profit before dog and staff happiness

This is a good place to work

I would say that the company is a very good company to work for , everyone work like a family , we all help each other . i absolutely enjoyed my job there , love all the animals there.

Pros

The company take you out at christmas for free

Cons

Poor management lets down this company

This workplace taught me a lot and it was definitely a learning experience. It taught me how to stand up for myself, I learnt a lot about dog behaviour and it also taught me boundaries that I should have in a workplace environment, meaning they have none here. The dogs and the staff are an absolute wonder to work with, friendly and inclusive however sadly management and financial greed lets this company down.Management see carers as replaceable, remember that.

Pros

Staff, Working with dogs, training days

Cons

No breaks, little pay, lack of support, poor management

Awful place to work

If you care about dogs, don’t work here. It’s all about the money and the management make you feel completely replaceable. How they manage to get away with taking advantage of young women wanting to learn about dogs is beyond me. You work way too hard for the pay and rarely get a thank you.

Pros

Experience with dogs, meeting new like-minded friends, occasional IMDT courses

Cons

Long hours, low pay, made to feel replaceable, spoken Down to by site manager and operations manager

Daily life

Great place to work just need a bit more in the way of pay and compensate for late finishes if and when that occurs, great bunch of people to be around and very helpful management lovely place to be working except when it rains!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bruce's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Bruce's with

Learn about Bruce's in popular locations

• Bruce's