Brunel University

Brunel University Employee Reviews

Best place to work. Can also work again if given a chance ! Best salary too . Friendly staff and encouraging environment. Proper training provided before the job
Not an overwhelmingly stressful job role day-to-day with the chance to personally improve on communication, teamwork and leadership. Management are friendly but unaware of the needs of staff lower down.
Pros
Free lunch and dinners
Cons
Long and un-sociable hours
Honestly you are made to do more than your jobe entails. you pick up the slack for the ones who have been comfortable in thier current positons for the last 20 years+. not only that the supervisor will go out of her way to make sure that the only thing she does is bad mouth others on the job. and in her eyes and others that does enough for her to not actually do her real job which is to supervise.
Cons
Everything.
Such a wonderful place to work in. The best part about the job is its relaxed and stressful which motivates you to be more enthusiastic and give your best.
Flexible hours that allow students to concentrate on their studies. I found that being able to choose your own working hour, doing as lìmuch or as little you would like very practical and amazing
Great place to work and study - very talented people. Would recommend this organisation to others for work or study. Full of ideas both for people management and development of students. Very caring
Pros
Trust
Cons
IT causes stress and frustration
I was working part-time next to my PhD. It was a well-paid job. It has an international and diverse environment. They were supportive of their students.
My job role was perfect and I enjoyed the role immensely but the level of senior management support was shocking. There is a big gossip culture and not much is done to erase this.
The support from Brunel University is immense and very helpful. Everyone is friendly and the atmosphere allows you to do your best work and grow your self.
Brunel has a great image. It also has a unique way of hiding "problems" from the rest of the world. Firstly i was given/promised a salary that could not be achieved because it was "not in a pay band" That may sound fine but i should not have been promised this in the first place and of course they pushed it down not up! Secondly due to lack of Government funding the University is much more interested in getting numbers through. For instance the mech eng class has almost tripled in size, overall though the pass rates and i mean good pass rates have fallen sharply. And whilst class sizes have increased the level of manning has not. By their own rules it is one technician per 20 students which means technically one mech engineering class should have three, but only has one. Reasons given for lack of staff? no budget for it. In a reality check the spending has massively gone up, just check out the new building worth billions being built... In a recent expose the university was heavily criticized for the head deans salary, something in the region of 3x more than the prime ministers... And last but not least and the most saddest is the management has covered up on no less than three occasions severe bullying. One member of staff has caused severe disruption. One member of staff had to re locate to another department, one has left and one sacked and they have done nothing as they are scared because he successfully sued his previous employer (they actually paid out to get it over with) This member of staff continues this mis behaviour and is attempting to use personnel rules - more...
Typical day at work is 9 to 5 different duties to cover and easy to accomplish. Great support from my line manager and work team. Fantastic facilities and work environment.
I worked for a local temp agency, worked through a summer, restoring and refitting rooms used by the students. Sadly the fellow workers, and i use that term "worker" very loosely, were at best actually present on site, doing anything productive is another matter, the manager of the group of men was due retirement and in all brutality really didn't care if anything was achieved throughout the day. i was disliked from the start due to the fact i enjoy working and get a sense of satisfaction form a good days work, i was paid a lot less then the full time workers yet did most of the work needed doing. was actively threatened by a member of the crew as he felt i was rocking the boat working hard, was later threatened outside of work after i had completed my summer of work, he complained that now the bosses want to know why i got the repairs done alone when a team cannot get. i would absolutely love to be working back as a maintenance man again, but this time as a team leader of management so i can build a team that actually cares about the job, and students welfare. I am happy for this review to be used as a form of educating the management of brunel and maybe getting some change initiated.
Pros
was able due to the lazy workers work alone and get the job done correctly
Cons
the work crew
I worked as a teaching technician in the design department for 11 years and it was the most rewarding job of my career. To see young students male/female come into the University in there1st year,scared and not sure if they had chosen the right course. And see them at graduation 4 years later well rounded highly motivated people excited about starting there career in design.
Beautiful places there, sunny and a lot of green trees. Uxbridge is perfect city, I love to be there. Nice surroundings, take a walk near the river to Denham, see the boats :) . Enjoy your life there :) .
Pay rates are decent, work environment bearable, lots of walking (buggies available only for those who are willing to spend fortune on insurance and have special driving license), parking not provided (prepare to pay fines), managers are great, but be prepared to take blame not only for yours, but for team leaders and supervisors mistakes as well...
the easy relaxed and chill environment you just have to make sure you are there on time staff and friends are really friendly and easy to get along with.
Each day starts with the briefing; we are told where we work and all necessary information regarding the students we supervise during the exams. We prepare the rooms, deliver the papers and wait for the students to enter the room at the allotted time. Once the exam begins, we march up and down the isles, watching the students, checking they are not cheating, supporting them in every possible way. Parallel to this, we take the register. At the end of the examination, we collect the scripts. Eventually, we allow the students outside the examination rooms.
The main tasks are: filing, data entry and student services It is great place to work Benefits are great Easy to get to work Many job opportunities Great Location
Management staff couldn't do more to make you feel included. A great well thought-out and fair rota system means although varied hours you can always plan around them.
the only bad part about the job is that there isn't always stuff to do as many students leave the uni during off-terms, leaving brunel workers empty-handed
Brunel was a great place to work, lovely culture. Decent pay, you meet lovely friendly people each day and the work life balance is great. Highly recommend.
  1. Employee reviews