Brunning & Price
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Brunning & Price Employee Reviews

United Kingdom60 reviews

You get out what you put in

When you work for a Brunning and Price pub, you very much get out of your role what you put into it. Most roles are 0 hours contracts, but (with the right notice dependant on your manager) you can really customise when you work.In my experience, most front of house staff are of the mentality that you are all in the same boat. Of course there will be people who don't pull their weight, but that goes with many places of work. The management are usually very supportive and understanding. As a customer facing role, they have to be quite good with people. Some may stand around and chat with customers rather than helping with the actual workload, which can make service quite difficult depending on when they decide to do it.The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect. some of the pubs can be multi-floor or have the kitchen up or down stairs from the main pub to maximise seating. (Although dealing with generally immature chefs can also be a challenge).You do get decent perks though, getting 30%off at any restaurant group venue (B&P, Wagamamas, Chiquitos, etc.)

Pros

Free meal if you work 7+ consecutive hours, friendly staff, staff drinks, flexible hours, great benefits.

Cons

Physically demanding, some co-workers don't pull their weight, only a 20 minute lunch break for any number of hours 7 or over.

Mixed emotions

I joined and had no training, was thrown strait into it and got told off for doing things wrong!? Management are rude and not helpful, often had rotas on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday before the new week on Monday, so you could never plan things, management have no time for you and make you run for hours with no proper breaks. The floor staff also don’t treat you well

Pros

Free lunches if you work 7 hours + but not great

Cons

Long hours, rude management, no breaks, make up rules as they go along

Managers have no idea how to treat staff

Staff are treated poorly and do not get paid fairly. Managers treat staff like children and have no trust in them. Unable to plan things outside of work as rota will come out the Wednesday before ( rota starts on a Monday ) and have to book time off 3 weeks in advance- if they don’t forget and make you work anyway.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

So many cons

Supportive progressive company

Well balanced work/life Good communication throughout the company Supportive 'family' mentality Well structured training and progression plans The company prefers to nuture and promote from within Progressive and growing company

Supportive caring company

Always good communications throughout the company from top to bottom, everyone wants the best for each other which is good for a well balanced, fun and friendly working environment, a well structured training program to help achieve promotions, the company prefers to develop and grow from within where possible!

Pros

A caring environment

Cons

I didn’t join sooner in my career

Fun workplace

One team, one dream. My colleagues are always in a good mood, enjoy the work they do and are always willing to help me and others. Overall, The Roe deer cares about their employees and that's one of the reasons why I will stick around for a long time.

Genuinely lovely people who love pubs - loads of opportunities

I've worked for Brunning and Price for seven years, and I've never worked for a more friendly company - it really is all about a lovely bunch of people who care about what makes a great pub. That creates a genuine close-knit, family atmosphere. There are loads of opportunities to progress your career and many of the managers and senior chefs have risen through the ranks through our internal training programmes.

Pros

Beautiful pubs, Great people, Well-equipped kitchens, Great training

Cons

Rural locations - so not ideal if you don't drive

Inclusive and Productive workplace with an enjoyable atmosphere

The culture here is very family and friendly orientated with a great ethos and values. The pubs are well looked after and well supported with a network of like minded people always on hand to help. Each day is different and while that poses challenges the team work and effort put in by all crew is what gets everyone through.

Pros

Nice place to work surrounded by nice people

Cons

Long hours, difficult to strike a good work life balance

Work Family

I have worked for Brunning and Price for over 41/2 years now, could never imagine working anywhere else. I feel well supported and valued as a manager. It is like an extended family.An excellent company to work for and would recommend anyone seeking employment in the food industry to apply to work at a Brunning & Price.

Pros

Great opportunities, Well supported from Head Office

Cons

None.

Great Company

I’ve been working for Brunning and Price pubs for a number of years starting from waiting staff at The Old Orchard. After leaving for a couple of months I realized my heart lay with pubs and couldn’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be. I’ve since worked up to being Manager at The Cricketers in Sarratt and my love for the company has grown to being part of more than just a pub group but a family. I’ve grown so much and with the help of other Managers, Chefs and the team in the Office, I’ve definitely formed friendships that I will keep with me for years to come. A recommendation that’s truly from the heart.

Pros

Friendly and fair

Part of the family

Have honestly felt part of the family at Brunning and Price since joining the company 10years ago and couldn't recommend it enough as a place to work if you want to enjoy working in hospitality for years to come. The pace of work is fast and sometimes stressful, but the environment you're in and the people you get to work with far outweigh the run of the mill catering jobs out there.

Pros

The people you work with

Very people focussed and productive

Coming from one of the bigger pub companies these guys are a bit of a dream.They firmly value the individual and put a lot of onus on us as managers to develop and look after our teams.While still being a pub company they encourage you to run your own pub for the greater good rather than a one size fits all policy.You have a lot of autonomy on your drinks selection with very few fixed products compared to most.The food is very behind the times but then it suits the demographic in which your pub is placed.Wage budgets are healthy compared to most other pub companies and as much as it is a focus it isn't the stick they use to beat you with.It is a much slower pace so if you want to run at a thousand miles an hour you have to learn to calm yourself down and work at their pace.Head Office is a support office they are there to help and that is genuine and they are all lovely people who talk rather than direct.In all a very positive work environment, my team have been here several years and in this day and age that speaks volumes to how they are treated.

Pros

Fair wages, not a pressured environment, supportive top team

Cons

Behind the times with food.

Wonderful place to work.

I love working for B&P. All that you hear about it being 'like a family' is actually true. It's such a friendly place to work and loads of fun. The company cares about it's people as well as it's customers and are also the environment.We get all sorts of benefits from discounts in all other TRG pubs and restaurants and now we are getting discounts in things like cinemas too.

Pros

Lovely people. Great opportunities. Great discounts.

Cons

Really can't think of any.

Lovely staff, terrible management

Started off great, the general staff are really nice even though they’re bullied my management, it went quickly downhill after a few months, constantly working 54-60 hours a week, no work/life balance at all, rarely worked 48 hours, the food on shift fast and tasteless, it was work work work with no progression at all, no wine or menu tastings, you’re just left to your own devices a lot of the time as managers hide during busy periods, the pub itself was beautiful and in a great setting but just a shame the management didn’t care more and treat staff with respect...

Pros

Lovely staff an beautiful pub

Cons

Bad lazy managers

Family like teams

I loved working for Brunning and Price. The management were very professional and were always very approachable if I ever needed to ask anythingTraining was top notch. Fabulous staff food - free! Pay and holidays were also very fair and reliable

Pros

Free food

Cons

Long weekends

Great environment, safe and considerate environmentWorking in a well equipped kitchen and clean environment. Management very supportive and progression very good

Bar staff

Managers are rude and nasty, they offered no support or guidance. Other staff members were very snobby and would look down their nose to you. Nobody seemed to know what was going on half the time and management were no where to be seen in busy periods and orders stacked up very quickly behind the bar.

Cons

Rude and snobby staff and management

Unhygienic and rude

I did a trial shift as a Kitchen Porter at the Mill House whilst waiting to hear about my job’s transfer and I can honestly say I’ve never experienced anything quite like it!. To start with some of the things I saw whilst in the kitchen were enough to put me off of ever eating there again; let alone in the middle of a pandemic when hygiene standards are supposed to be even higher. I saw one member of staff with greasy, dirty food covered hands scoop out mash with his fingers to put into the tubs (to be stacked up and chilled for Christ knows how long) and to make matters worse I don’t recall seeing him wash them even once for the 4 hours I was there (or most of the staff for that matter.) That is unless you count putting his hands in a washing up sink filled with various sauces and general food waste as washing them. I also saw countless plates, dishes and pans being put back on the shelf to be used with grease and dirt still on them without any of the staff batting an eyelid.Tasty! The shift itself was chaotic, When I arrived and was finally in the right place I was given a brief tour and my first task by some people who very clearly had no time for me. After this there was no further direction and I was left to figure out the placement etc of everything in the kitchen by myself. There was absolutely no guidance on what I should be doing or where so I left the poor KP on shift with me to do most of the stuff as all I had been shown was the washing up machine - he tried his best to help but didn’t speak any English. The other members of staff looked at me in a way not -

Cons

Did't get paid, dirty and rude

loved my coworkers, hated the company

the company genuinely does not seem to care about its employees. most staff are extremely underpaid, and schedules and rotas are extremely demanding. managers are put under extreme pressure to save money, so hourly staff get too few hours, and salaried staff are overworked and exhausted. would not recommend.

Pros

staff meals

Cons

long hours, no consistency

Excellent Employer

Working for Brunning & Price was a great experience. Casual staff choose their hours, everyone is super friendly. Management are very professional but also approachable, they care about their staff!!

Pros

Co-workers

Terrible

Worked there for a good few years from opening. Started off on pot wash and worked my way up to commis chef. The first head chef we had was excellent and supportive but things went downhill when he left. Most of the staff are kids, and young assistant managers make for bad control of the place. Management are bullies, terrible work/life balance, and long hours led to mental health issues. Brunning and price is owned by a larger group so once you've worked there for a while you realise that it's like every other chain place.

Pros

Pay alright.

Cons

Long hours, bad management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Brunning & Price. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Brunning & Price with

• Brunning & Price
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?