Bryn Melyn Care Ltd

Bryn Melyn Care Ltd Employee Reviews

I learnt a lot at my time here.The initial training is fantastic.I really feel I learnt a lot.Where I was based,they don't tell you that you could be driving all over the country,depending where the young people live.The cars are old and always in the garage so I felt they were unsafe.I do not regret though my time here,it was still a great experience.You don't get lunch breaks but there can be a nice relaxed environment in the homes so it wasn't the worst thing .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
I worked for over 4 years, My management team were wonderful and I always had support if I needed it. Great Company and great staff. Enjoyed my time, I am over 60 so decided that I better being a Teachers Aid.
Pros
Always helpful with holidays and hours you work, 2 on 4 off, great shift pattern
Cons
Away from family for 48 hours.
Great job working with kids who need people who are willing to show them some respect and understanding, unfortunately the company just sees them as cash cows. Most of the staff have the right attitude and try to do there best for the kids in difficult circumstances but one or two are just out for themselves and can be very quick to show management how willing they are to further their career at the cost of anyone who gets in their way
Pros
Working with the kids
Cons
Everything else
I’ve just been dismissed from brynmelyn after an incident with young person were there were 4 of us involved didn’t have any support from the company at all they don’t seem interested in the well being of there staff and the managers don’t listen to any concerns that are raised future employees stay clear of this company.
Cons
Typical day at work would be a briefing at 8 and then you get started with your day and the child you're paired with. Your shift is supposed to end at 11pm making the shifts 15 hours long, but if you ever expect to finish at 11pm this isn't for you. If there is an incident you will stay up to whenever this is over, and then have to complete paperwork until its done. For me this would happen most nights and I would get to sleep around 1/2 and be back up again at 6 making most days 6am-1/2am the next morning. Also, there wasn't enough beds for all the staff so one would have to sleep on the sofa which isn't exactly comfortable and doesn't provide a good nights sleep for the few hours you are asleep. There is an allowance to do a shop, however usually this isn't enough for everyone so staff end up bringing their own or just not eating at dinner so the kids can have enough to eat. Aggression is rife and support is minimal at best. Constantly feeling unsafe and on edge at what is going to happen next. The staff I worked with were truly amazing and were fantastic at their jobs and supported me massively. However, management don't want to know and disappear to meetings or "work from home" all the time and are rarely at the house. Staff do their best to keep the house clean but for the most part its genuinely unhygienic and not homely for the children. Overall, the care staff are for the most part amazing and are the only reason the children are kept safe. However, higher management and the people in the offices just have the attitude of "its just part of the - more...
Pros
Good relationship with children
Cons
Terrible place to work wouldn’t recommend it the management have no idea what they are doing in the new LD set up they have and had a very high turn over in staff
Worst Child care company provider I've ever worked for in a vast number of years experience. Shocking management with no leadership, if your face don't fit then your judged upon, no safe guarding of staff, staff turn over is high, I seen 5 leave my designated house in a month, whole ethos of the company ain't very nice and very money orientated. Not got a positive word to say from top to bottom.
Pros
Meet some nice colleagues
Cons
Expect your two day shifts to become 3 or 4
Worked as a Deputy Manager in a home that can only be described as dilapidated, dirty and not at all child friendly, carpets dirty and threadbare and no matter how much it was cleaned it never looked welcoming, due to the poor standards and disrepair. Poor supervision from management, due to 3 stand in managers over a 3 month period, no consistency whatsoever. No support from so called managers to learn the role and then told I should be at a better level than I was considering I was a deputy. Well show and support staff instead of running off to meetings every five minutes. If your face fits you will be fine if not then expect to know about it.
I started at Bryn Melyn Care 3 and 1/2 years ago with no qualifications in any from of childcare. I was placed in one of the companies core homes in Shropshire and had fantastic support from my senior on shift (shift partner) who fully supported me through my induction. I then transferred to a different home, to a much larger team, I found it daunting at first but due to the structure within the home I soon fit in and within 12 months I became a senior and now I'm part of the management structure in the home. The culture within the home is very focused on making a big impact on our young people for the short time they are with us. Yes we have bad days and have to intervene at times however we also have some wow days. The support from fellow practitioners, seniors and management from start to finish whether its training or on shift is second to none. I've always felt supported and the ethos of providing the best support and care for the children we work with, 100% includes the care team.
The company preaches about helping staff, however I've never been less supported by a company! The job is stressful but you get penalised when you say it's getting difficult. There is no support at all, you're expected to stay on shift if someone calls in sick, it doesn't matter at all if you have somewhere you need to be! The pay is terrible too and be prepared to be awake all night for two days straight! Would not recommend at all.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Bryn Melyn Care Ltd?
Told me I had to do an extra shift a month to make up my hours, so it wasn’t two in four off. Adjustments were made to your wages every 6 months and not that month off work.
Working in support services there is never a typical day at work. Workload is varied and of high volume at times, however, knowing you are supporting colleagues and in turn our young people makes it a very rewarding place to work. I've found the workplace culture to be very open and friendly. Managers are really supportive and encourage you to be the best you can be. Our new induction program means new starters are receiving high quality training in order to empower them to achieve excellence in their role. The hardest part of the job is managing the high volume of workload, however, support is always available required. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that we're all working towards the same goal in one way or another: to help transform the lives of vulnerable young people.
BMC are providing care to some of the most vulnerable young people in society. Whilst there can be some challenges as expected within the social care sector, the support from Managers and colleagues is fantastic. No two days are the same and there is a lot of variety to the role. BMC are very committed to the care that is delivers, and is a very rewarding company to work for.
As you would expect, working in the social care sector can be really challenging and a great deal of pressure can be placed on individuals as we strive to provide the best possible care for the traumatised children and young people we support. Managers are available to support as much as possible, and when support is sought from outside your direct line manager it is always given. You may not always feel as though the young people we support appreciate our efforts but the input that we have will and does help them to recover. You need personal resilience within the role, regardless of whether you work directly with the children and young people or within Support Service due to the challenges that you encounter. Support is given to individuals to build resilience but ultimately there is only so much support that can be offered. I would recommend individuals consider this when apply to work with company. There is always room for improvement but BMC is open to staff suggestions and genuinely reviews its processes and approaches on a regular basis based on the feedback that it receives. The company has high standards in relation to the care that it gives and will support staff to with training and qualifications. The company is going through a period of growth and has recently opened two residential schools supporting young people with learning disabilities and is recruiting to support these services. I would happily recommend the company to a friend. The environment is positive, managers are approachable and i personally like the way the company culture is developing. - more...
Pros
Working hours, environment, open culture, travel cost reimbursements, salary, generous holiday scheme, Pension
Cons
Rural locations can mean longer than normal travel times. This isn't really a problem though
I have been an employee of Bryn Melyn Care for almost 10 years and in this time have had the opportunity to develop and move forward with my career. Excellent CPD training opportunities, lots of support with this and my work in general. Senior Management have an 'open door policy' which is put to use every day. Support staff at central office are helpful and pleasant and recent changes to the induction seem to be a positive move for the organisation in recognising and valuing the workforce. I would recommend it as a great place to work and to be involved in a career caring and educating young people with complex needs.
Working with services users on a individual basis as part of a team. Supporting contacts and education. Providing therapeutic support for EBD clients.
Do not work for this company absolutely shocking and a disgrace. Treat staff appalling. Policies are only in there best interest. The worst company I have ever worked for
This is the worst place you could possibly set foot in. If you are thinking about working here, DONT The pay is awful, there is no support at all . Half the staff are scared of the kids and just let them run the houses! They send you to the different houses in the company all the time just to be abused by the kids because they don’t know you! This company is very money driven and do not care about the children or staff ... just money . This place could not be any worse
Looking after societies most vulnerable children is at times stressful and hard but this company ensures that children achieve positive outcomes and have the most experienced staff team around them. The offer great training and always support staff to develop and progress. The homes managers are dedicated and the area managers conduct stay interviews to ensure that staff remain happy within their roles. Yes there can be a high level of assaults especially for new staff who do not have experience but I assure you once you gain experience and build relationships with the children your job starts to get easier and ALOT more enjoyable. This is not an easy babysitting job. You are paid well because they expect you to work hard, connect with the children and help they have positive experiences. I have been offered progressed roles in other companies with more money but I love working for this company and watching the children achieve great things. I am part of a great team that do amazing things for children.
From start to finish this company is not honest. They claim they are recruiting due to expansion, but in reality it is due to high turnover of staff. Be prepared to receive no support whatsoever, work with staff who are demoralised, children who will attack you time and time again. Management are completely out of touch with the severity of the situation, but then that is to be expected as she runs away at the slightest hint of trouble. Food that I would not even rate as 1 star, frozen rubbish of no nutritional value. In short stay away.
Pros
Cons
Dangerous place to workLo
The houses are fast paced and the level of aggression is high. The young people can be fun and it isn't always stressful. There is a lot of staff changes. Communication is not always handed down making it harder to plan.