Buckinghamshire Council
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Buckinghamshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom109 reviews

roleteamsupportstafffriendlyofficeopportunitytraining

Okay environment, work fine and management supportive

Work load is high. Stressful. Work life balance is difficult. Managers are supportive but are also overloaded at times. Needs more staff to help relieve pressure on the current staff.

Pros

colleagues are supportive

Cons

workload is high and needs more staff

7 November 2022
Thank you for leaving us a review, we are glad to hear you found 'managers [and] colleagues supportive.'We are sorry to hear that you feel that ‘work life balance is difficult' and 'workload is high.'We’re really interested to hear more about your experience. If you wish to discuss your review any further, please contact us at employerbranding@buckinghamshire.gov.uk. Any communication will be treated in the strictest confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.

Hard work for some

My line managers were great, but the top bosses are invisible & have little or no regard to the staff that work with the clients. They expect more & more and you can’t possibly do what they ask in the time you have as well as give the clients a fulfilling, happy day at the day centre.Too much politics and paperwork is making social care a job that people no longer want to do! Shame as clients are fabulous!

7 November 2022
Thank you for your feedback, we’re really interested to hear more about your experience. It’s important that we understand any inconsistencies in the organisation, as we’re very proud to promote Buckinghamshire Council as an employer of choice. Please contact us at employerbranding@buckinghamshire.gov.uk as we would welcome the opportunity to talk to you further about this. Any communication will be treated in the strictest confidence. We look forward to hearing from you.

Insights into Buckinghamshire Council

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Energising work tasks

Great clients, shocking staff environment.

I worked in the adult social care sector at a respite. The clients are great, however the longer standing staff/management are very clicky!If you you needed to report anyone you had to go higher than in house management, you had social care assistants thinking they was management, felt like you was being watched constantly and didn’t feel trusted. Lots of talking behind peoples backs and bullying going on and nothing has been done about it for years. Toxic environment to be in. Constant high staff turnover and they can’t see why, which is beyond me.

Pros

Great clients, variety of training

Cons

Management and social care assistants.

25 October 2022

Nice place to work here

management is so nice and my colleague's are so helpful I love to work in this place. They are very help full and take caring.

hard work long hou evaisive colelgaues who just dissapear

The stressful colleagues are flakily an tend to go ill a lot which leaves more work on the people who do attend, development is non existent as is reward for hard work and long hours.

Productive and fun workplace

A great place to work, it is very productive and the staff and managers are really friendly and helpful. I learnt a lot about scanning and indexing building plans.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Only a 2 year temporary contract so it is over now

Awful

I only gave it one star as I couldn't give it none.Unprofessional and rude management in the SEN Team who are totally useless and can't cope.I had no induction, no proper training, no line manager for a long while, and a lack of IT software. Everyone in the team is stressed and unhappy, I'm so glad I got out. There is a large turnover of staff, and virtually no communication between staff and so called 'managers' who are appalling.Only work for this shower if you're desperate - even then don't bother as you won't be appreciated.I left and got a far better job.

Pros

Leaving. The best thing I ever did.

Cons

Useless rude and unprofessional managers who can't cope.

Supportive LA

Varied and interesting work. LA very helpful and a good improvement service at the time. Being a head teacher is a challenging job but I learnt enormously from others and networking was strong.

Pros

Professional development

Cons

Sometimes long hours

Terrible management

MicromanagedNo supportBullying/abusing power/threatened Favouritism Too high expectations of staffUnqualified management Lazy management Lack of understanding or appreciationNot listening to staffTaking credit for employees work Unmotivated employeesUnhappy employees High levels of sickness due to poor managers Gossiping

Pros

Salary

Cons

Bullying management

Some long days. Everything fall on the driver

When you turning up in the morning it’s very Chaotic people ringing in sick plans all ways change. Some of the team leader can be helpful. They do work as a team. You will finish your at the end of day and be asked to go out and more work as they pull rounds off the road. Your be made to sit and wait til everyone is done back at the yard. They use a red and green card System for praising you or if you have done. Like being treated like a kid.

its nice place to work, not had any problems since i started, now over 10 years.

the Buckinghamshire council is good employer and there are lots of jobs within the council and they do pay for training if its suitable for your job role.

Pros

discount on bus and gym

Cons

Lack of opportunities to progress, and no empathy to callers, if you want to help people then this isn’t the place to learn how to.

Work culture and management could be lacking, more interested in length of calls rather than assisting callers. Resources and training not great, and lots of office politics

Pros

Variety of role Long lunch

Cons

Lack of concern for callers, very dismissive and just try and push everyone on line

A good job but the equipment could be better

Working at Buckinghamshire council is good the staff team are amazing and the cafeteria is decent.The equipment on the other hand is horrendously bad to the point its silly. The job is great as the job security side of it is secure you wont be losing the job to robots any time soon

Pros

Friendly staff, good work life balance, good communication with management

Cons

Abuse from public, bad equipment

Good Team

Good Team Good Managers and Staff at Polling Station Training assistance to help General Public always available. Enjoyed being part of the team.Hardest part is to remain upbeat, cheerful, friendly professional, yet sharp and aware for the full 14 hours at maximum concentration level as must be. .

Pros

Good Team, Good Atmosphere

Cons

Buckinghamshire Council is a forward thinking place to work, lots of flexibility and lots of opportunity

Working at the Council you get a real insight into the way the organisation works for the people that live and work in the area. It's great being involved in delivering projects that you see make a real difference to the lives of local people. My work is rewarding, management team are so supportive, and there is a lot of opportunity to grow and develop my career and to mentor others.

Pros

Flexible working hours and a real team feeling

Not great pay

Buckinghamshire Council pay scales are not great. Milton Keynes Council who border Bucks to the north offer more generous rates of pay and I would say MK is more progressive and realistic about the pay people need to live on.

Excellent

Team very supportive and good working environment always felt good and supportive all times l would recommend thus work place to you all. Apart from the distance

A great team to work with

I've worked at the Council for some time and have a great team that are committed to providing a great service and are always looking for new ways of reaching our goals. The move to become Buckinghamshire Council was well managed and offered me the opportunity to help shape our service for the future. Family friendly place to work with agile working and flexi time available.

Pros

People, agile working

Cons

Bureaucracy can be frustrating

Not a great productive place to work

Let down awfully failed by management and they haven’t got a clue it is an old boys club people are playing not training you to be the best to much time spent doing tasks that are pointless and when you succeed it’s even poorer

Pros

Cons

Staff, management it facilities

Great opportunity

It was an amazing opportunity to have done the job, I had a great staff team we were very dedicated to the people we supported, i learnt a lot about myself as a manager, but the way it all ended with the closing of the service was very sad.

Pros

Good staff benefits

Cons

Senior management click.

Overworked-underpaid.

THIS IS SOLEY MY EXPERIENCE WORKING THROUGH AN AGENCY! NOT DIRECT. Pressured into taking a pay cut from an agency to perm. Soft threats of being replaced if you do not take on a contract. Understaffed and expected(not asked) to do overtime. Not paid an overtime rate.

Pros

Easy work.

Cons

Overtime near on forced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buckinghamshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Buckinghamshire Council with

Learn about Buckinghamshire Council in popular locations

• Buckinghamshire Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?