Buckinghamshire New University

Buckinghamshire New University Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Great Student Job

Worked here as a student ambassador and i could pick and choose job’s depending on my coursework load. The staff are supportive and the extra cash was a life saver at times

Really good HR management

Worked for various Job roles as a student ambassador and they were all very enjoyable. I love working for BNU and management is always really helpful.

Insights into Buckinghamshire New University

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Energising work tasks

Friendly environment

There's great benefits, parking, flexi working. so far I'm very happy with my experience with BNU. Close to shopping centre.Everyone is lovely, drama free.

Friendly, supportive place to work

Enjoyed my time working here, the team were fun and kind to work with and we did a lot of team bonding activities such as lunches and clubs we spent time on during lunch. Having access to the uni library was great!

Pros

Facilities and team

Cons

Not the best if you're extremely driven and like a very fast-paced working environment

Good co-workers, terrible management

My time spent at this institution had its highs and its lows. Highs: I met some dedicated colleagues trying to lead the good fight in terms of delivering quality marcomms to their students. I also learned more about how to prepare and teaching marcomms, having previously worked in industry just delivering it. Lows: the complete mismanagement of this university. It was utter chaos from start to finish and the university is run like a summer school, everything done last minute and nothing up to standard. I had no help and support, no induction and the place is extremely badly run.

The people are great!

Fantastic people to work with. Management leave a lot to be desired but its a tough job! There are a lot of people working there only there to climb the HE ladder and they will trample over people to get there, then leave. Which is good for those left! But most are really lovely people to work with and there is a real community spirit at the BNU. Lots of perks too, like a staff association that subsidises loads of events and trips, some even free for staff! It's a small Uni and the pay is quite good for the sector and even though Buckinghamshire has some of the most affluent areas in the country the salaries are in line with other Uni's, but better than some. There have been lots of restructures and redundancies in recent years. Academic and Support Staff, they will no doubt have more in 2020 too! So it's worth a look if you need a job to tide you over until something else comes along.

okay place to work but no career progression

great in terms of flexibility and pay but no promotions or likelyhood of them. People stay in the same position for years. Some periods can be busy depending on the area you work and staff workload. Many areas tend to be shortstaffed at times

Cons

no parking for staff, no career progression

Friendly and supportive colleagues

Acted as a post doc could be a lonely journey in a work environment, however the colleagues I met have been supportive and friendly. We have become lifetime friends from the employment.

Pros

learning opporutnities

Cons

funding

Good workplace

Enjoyed my time with the University with good support from colleagues and departments within the University. Sole reason for leaving was to change to part time role.

Student

Good university to be a student for, many work placement opportunities and working with real life client opportunity for the sports degrees within the university.

Pros

Degree

Cons

Unorganised university

Really fun workplace

Working as a Student Ambassador is the most fun job you can have at Bucks. You get to meet new, interesting people, but most importantly, make friends. It helps you meet the University's staff whilst having fun during events with them. I love working as a SA.

Great company to work for, great benefits and good opportunities

Reading and replying to email, answering the phone attending to student queries. Processing student submission both hard copies and e-submissions. Attending bite-size sessions learning about other departmental processes. Interacting with colleagues and line managers, attending meetings. Hardest part of the job is minute taking. The most enjoyable, Board of Examination and definitely graduation.

Pros

Brilliant holiday and sick pay scheme. Continuous learning and self development

Cons

no health care package

Intellectually exciting University to work for.

The greatest part of my time working there was the great challenge of teaching intellectual curious undergraduate and postgraduate students. Some of the staff were truly fantastic! I also grew as a person beyond my expectations.

Pros

Continued Professional Development

Cons

Very long hours

University Curator

A typical work day would be researching and organising new companies and interior products that could be used within a University environment. I collect material samples and frequently get in touch with sales teams to gain product information, quotes and delivery times for orders. I have regular meetings with the Estates team and Health and Safety to ensure everything reaches a high standard. The other half of my time is spent collecting student artwork to display around the University. I also organise exhibitions and VIP evenings where I invite visitors to see the work going on within the design departments at the University.

Pros

Diverse work

Friendly environment

Being a Chairman is not a job, it is a voluntary position in the team. It requires meeting with chairmans of other teams and discussing future plans for sports at University.

profesional

helpful team of professionals, encouraging to develop yourself in different subjects

Roles to develop skills

Trained roll within the university to feedback and resolve issues between students and staff. Training is good and can lead to higher responsibility jobs.

This position involved carrying out gym inductions, creating gym programmes, assisting gym users in correct gym usage and general customer service.

Cons

Unsociable hours

A great atmosphere

Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I really enjoy working here.

Pros

Cheap bus travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Buckinghamshire New University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement