Buildbase

Buildbase Employee Reviews

Featured review
Buildbase selected this as a representative review
Honest and open work environment. Great management and hierarchy. Good benefits packages and bonus schemes. Good working hours and responsibility in the workplace.
30 November 2020
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and glad that your experience with us is a positive one. Our annual engagement survey will be released early 2021 so we would love your input there also.
Good company to work for and good benefits. We have a great team and good management. I enjoy turning up for work and love the challenge. Everyone works well together to get the job done.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Head office role - HR staff are very collaborative, supportive and easy-going. Wider staff network are very friendly & helpful. Able to get on with my own workload and get involved with any other projects that are happening in the business. Working from home so been able to keep up with social activities organized within the team.
Pros
Good Work/Life balance
Cons
Really great company, friendly staff, progression is there in forms of apprenticeships. Forward-thinking management who don't micro-manage and engage in your ideas. Flexibility to work at home if needed.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Non
I loved working at buildbase. They paid for all my training including HIAB and forklift. The job is stressful but there is a great team working with you. Could be better paid and half day Saturday is a down point. Overall very good, if you give your all you will receive it back from them.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Weekend work
11 January 2021
Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. We're thrilled to heat that you had a good experience working for us as a Driver. A Driver's role can be stressful as it is the lynch-pin between our branch and our customers. Thank you for doing a good job while you were with us!
It was a very horrible and upsetting experience I would not wish on my worst enemy I got taken on as a yard apprentice after 3 weeks had a review told the only thing I could work on was the house keeping abit more which I did to then Be sacked a week later being given no reason at all for then when I email hr to Get a reply with a letter which I think they mangers had sat there a thought what lies they could make up I would not recommend this at all especially when they expect you to know what your doing from day one not willing to teach you how u should be taught one or two decent staff members who did try but majority did not want too
Pros
Cons
Unhelpful leaders
8 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and we are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience with Buildbase. Our management team are always looking to support all members of staff and we are sorry that you feel that you were not supported. We would like to investigate your feedback further where possible – if you are happy to do so, can you please email the details of your concerns to hr@buildbase.co.uk
I decided to go back and work at Buildbase after working for another couple of merchants because I missed that ‘independent merchant’ feel that the others did not have.Slowly though, even Buildbase is losing that way of trading.To many cooks, as they say!I appreciate business growth, share holder appeasement, trying to play catch up with competitors etc etc, but there has to be a better and more realistic balanced way of doing things.Obviously COVID is not helping matters!
Pros
Several good colleagues and flexible with personal life.
Cons
Poor salary, huge staff turnover and unrealistic bonus scheme.
30 November 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review, however we are saddened to hear that you feel the business is not what it used to be. We have been working hard to ensure the business is a better place to work for all as well as updating our ways of working and systems to stay up to date with technology.
If you want a decent job,dont work for buildbase.Poor pay,rubbish trucks,overworked, overloaded on most deliveries, management have no idea of running transport, h+s non existent except when area manager is visiting.Being paid more 20 yrs ago for similar roleAvoid buildbase...
Pros
Cons
Rubbish trucks, poor pay, poor management, no idea !!
11 January 2021
Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review. We're sorry to hear that you felt as if you didn't have a good experience with us. We have invested a huge amount of money into our Transport Operations over the past few years so sorry to hear that you felt that the equipment you were using was not to your standards. We have heavily rigorous H&S guidelines we expect all our branch employees to work to, including our new Safer Operating Procedures which have been bought in over the past 12 months so we can work safely during COVID.
Each day is different and often busy but you know roughly how your day will pan out.Issues can arise that can snowball your day but always someone to help out with queries.Always double check addresses as often incorrect!Excellent staff discounts and other benefits you would expect from a large company.Overall a Monday to Friday role which is better than general haulage operations.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Some trucks are past their prime
30 November 2020
Thank you for your feedback, your views are really important to us. We are proud of our benefits that can be found via GRAB and glad you have found these useful. Our people are what makes Buildbase brilliant, so it's great to hear that you have colleagues who are willing to get stuck in and help their colleague out when required.
I started with agency then got full-time job after 4 months on the basis off company putting me through hiab course which was brilliant for me and my career. It isn't the best wage in the world but job satisfaction is great for me and my fellow workers are a very good bunch and helpful..my transport gaffer is a good guy who is always helpful and willing to help if truck needs repaired quickly.i love my job with Buildbase as everyday is different.
Pros
Great benefits and good pension scheme
Cons
Need to replace trucks every 5years and not 9years
30 November 2020
Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. It's great to hear that you have had a brilliant experience of the business and we are so pleased that we have helped you in your long term career.
Unsupportive management and pay structure regardless of experience often petty decisions made by upper management the more you do the more they expect often carrying other staff who are paid more and lack your skills and work ethics but it’s ok they show up everyday , great customers who appreciate what you do for them in terms of support advising on goods knowledge
Pros
Customers
22 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and we are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience at Buildbase Bristol. Our management team are always looking to support all members of staff and we are sorry that you feel that you were not supported. It sounds as though as you didn't access some of the great things that we have in place to support and reward our BRILLIANT workforce, for example LifeWorks our 24 hour support hub, Grab, containing amazing discounts at high street stores and online retailers through to our fantastic apprenticeship programmes and awards.
I enjoy my job but can be very stressful at times. Some times can be very busy. And you might have to work after your time and you get time back in lu. But apart from that they are one of the better company to work for.
30 November 2020
Thank you for taking time to leave us a review, your feedback is really important to us. There are support mechanisms in place such as LifeWorks our 24 hour colleague support hub if you need a bit of extra support.
Good job,face paced, wage is ok, manager spot on just higher up is were the problems are but thats like most places but all in all a good place to work
A typical day can be fast paced, or slow depending on the time of day. Management can sometimes not be in touch with the sales staff within branches, when passing instructions/rules.
Some stressful days and some relaxed. Ordering stock and organising transport loads along with planning stock takes and sales advise given with satisfaction taking from it.Quite an enjoyable place to work overall.
Unless your a brown noser or a relative of management you will achieve nothing with this company. No help from management as they are never present in the business. That and they generally don't care.
10 March 2020
We are disappointed that you felt the need to leave this review, without any context or constructive information it is difficult to address your concerns. All we can do is confirm that over 60 employees were internally promoted in to management roles alone last year, so we are confident that with the right attitude anyone can enjoy a successful career within Buildbase.
Would not make my worst emermy work there. The management donet care. always gets things wrong. And if there is a problem they do not know how to answer you.
Pros
Get to work outside in the freezing weather. with no wear to go to get away from cold
Cons
just donet bother
5 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and we are sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience at Buildbase Spilsby. Our management team are always looking for ways to invest in the employee experience with the manager from Spilsby receiving a fantastic rating in our recent employee engagement survey. We appreciate that the Yard person role involves working outside however, we provide our team with a stylish Buildbase branded uniform, including high vis winter coat.
Yard lads brilliant to work with, management absolutely clueless, couldn't run a bath!! bullies, don't like people having an opinion, would not recommend this company because of poor management.
reasonable hours, depots vary, case of delivery drivers loads are sorted and placed in order of drop...case of drop load job done. Bonus scheme depends on overall deliveries and sale performance throughout company.
To be two faced must be a requirement, loads of back stabbing, most unprofessional place I've worked. they only look after their goldon boy driver who can do what he wants. They have a pigeon faeces problem that they won't deal with and customers and staff have to breath in the toxic fumes. Avoid unless you wanna get a chest infection and get treated like a child
Worst experience I've had at work, the manager took me on to increase sales in they're timber department, but i ended up doing deliveries, cleaning, painting walls floors building displays and making all sorts instead of doing the job i was employed to do!
  1. Employee reviews