Bupa

Bupa Employee Reviews in Staines-upon-Thames

Featured review
Bupa selected this as a representative review
Hatfield Peverel Lodge is a friendly, welcoming and accommodating place to work. It is not like other nursing homes, it feels like you are working in a acute medical ward and I absolutely love working here! The management team are personable, relatable and very supportive. Allowing for you to develop as a health care practitioner and supportive of change. The home environment is so clean, it actually is one of the cleanest environments I have worked in, the food is outstanding and the care delivered to the residents is faultless. Everyone here from the managers, the care staff, most of the rgn’s, the housekeepers, catering , admin, to the maintenance staff have made me feel so welcome and a part of their already formed team and I have literally been here for two weeks! I genuinely have nothing but praise for Hatfield peverel lodge and I finally have that feeling back of looking forward to going into work.
Pros
Supportive management, NMC fee reimbursed, support to grow and innovate new ideas, friendly, accommodating, free lunch, informative induction
Cons
None this is a great place to work!
10 November 2020
Thanks for the great feedback! We're really pleased to hear that you're enjoying working in one of our homes. We hope you continue to enjoy your career with us!
Not a good place made the wrong decision to work here. Nasty nasty nasty place. Do yourself a favour people dont bother you will regret it!!!,,, ,,,,,
Pros
You gotta be kidding
Cons
Bunch of weird people
The culture at Bupa changed drastically in the last 3 years of working there. Before it was supportive and collaborative but in the end it became a dictatorship. Undecided leadership and the inability to stand up for what you believed in and the team that worked for you. I wasted many years so will not waste any more time on this review!
2 September 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry to hear of your experience, as it does not reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback very seriously and I would encourage you to contact the Speak Up team, where you can provide more detailed feedback anonymously on Bupa’s “Speak Up” website www.bupa.com/speakup. I wish you all the best for the future.
old technology, old ways of working - only customer engagement is via the phone - no digital platform - no collaboration - poor culture, need to improve greatly. Managers have all been there years & years with no new ways of working - they need new blood to introduce new approaches, very stressful trying to make any change.
16 June 2020
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm really sorry to read this is your experience as it does not reflect our culture or behaviours. We take all feedback very seriously and would always encourage our employees to talk to their manager or the People Team about concerns to see how they could be addressed. I wish you every success for the future.
I am a contractor working on a cyber security programme. The culture is good as far as getting things done is concerned. I have free access to a gym in the building.
This job was very high demand, caused me to have a mental break down at work, due to the pressures that the higher management were putting on me and my fellow colleagues
A great company to work for. They genuinely care for their staff and there us plenty of opportunity for career progression. If I decided to return to the world of full time employment I would happily work for Bupa
The member services role can be stressful however the people make the company a great place to work. You are supported a great deal in development and If you want to grow and a career this is a great place to work
MSA role is tough and not for everyone. The role is very involved and can be quite stressful at times. I don't believe the pay is sufficient for the volume of work that MSAs have to do.
A typical insurance company where staff are an expendable resource, Not the hardest job in the world but a shocking paycheck and abhorrent HR practices. Millions are invested in PR stunts and farcical company gatherings to show they are modern and up to date yet primary frontline systems and quoting system both developed circa 20 years ago). What sets Bupa apart are the staff who work tirelessly to deliver their best result despite being an incredibly bureaucratic syndicate. However, unless your face fits and you can show you're willing to be someone you're not, you'll climb the progression ladder. Flexible working is a myth until you reach management, even then the management team are worked to the bone and around 40% of Bupa staff are either short/long term sick due to mental health issues, many of which stems from work related stress. Now imagine taking into account all of the above, when the frontline adviser has a meltdown trying to balance dealing with historic hardware & software, if a customer gets impacted the adviser takes the fall regardless. Dozens of staff have effectively been managed out of the business with an incredibly high turnover rate. HR practice is not impartial and everything is designed to put business needs first, the employee will always come last. Best part of the job: The employee PMI scheme is very comprehensive and useful if and when you fall ill.
Pros
Team spirit among co workers
Cons
Bureaucratic and out of sync with modern times
Heavily targeted to stop members cancelling policy. Very pressurised environment. Not a good work life balance as you rarely leave the office on time and are expected to do after call work unpaid if you are on a call after your shift finished. Disciplinary action very strict if off sick. Very high turnover of staff. Left unsupported. Very sales driven for profit over customer or staff welfare. Need to be in early to log on. Toilet visits come out of your break time. Calls can take 2 hours at a time. Not enough car parking. Poor systems that crash and affect your targets. Poor communication. Too much expected of staff and a low salary. Pros Subsided canteen, free PMI, free small gym, good pension Cons Pressurised to sell, unachievable targets, role mis-sold to candidates
Good place to work, enjoyed the pace and enjoyed working with the people.
Pros
Subsided canteen, free PMI, free small gym, good pension
Cons
Pressurised to sell, unachievable targets, role mis-sold to candidates
Due to being a Temporary Placement I will decline to provide a review due to the limitations of the role as it would be an unfair assessment on the employer
It's a hard job and a lot of knowledge to absorb but the rewards are good and being able to help members to still have good medical insurance cover but for less was very satisfying. I learned how to handle some very tricky and upset members and help them to maintain their policies. Upper management kept their distance but our team leaders were very helpful. We were all treated fairly which was part of the workplace culture. We had some irate members who phoned to cancel their policies at renewal and persuading them to stay could be difficlut. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you showed a member how they could stay with private health insurance for less and still get similar benefits and they decided to stay after all.
Pros
Nice work surroundings
Cons
Queues on the phones sometimes
fun place to work, lots of changes, lots of different technologies, numerous business until good culture, good work life balance. Location not so good as just off M25,
I found my time at Bupa to be both rewarding and Educational, I owe much of my experience to the opportunities provided to me from employment with them. Working within the call centre environment much of the day might seem repetitive but every conversation was unique to the customer. I found the hardest part of the job was not being able to help customers due to certain company processes or policies, however, I and the customer understood the reasons these were in place. The call centre environment was a rewarding and fun place to work with high moral and great team efforts making each day enjoyable and different. There was a healthy level of competition among the department and team. I did find the progression ladder to be rather difficult to climb.
worked at bupa for 6 weeks, I did the training in the classroom managed to pass 3 out of 4 competency tests and the 2 sign offs i failed the last test a few times, my probation was terminated and i was escorted out of the building. this has not put me in a financial crisis as i relocated to this area. i am not happy how i got treated towards the end
Pros
cheap breakfast
Cons
treated unfairly, bad workplace
My day consisted of being on the telephone taking calls from the sales team with new members, customer services with existing customers, GP's and Consultants, other departments and all dealing with medical queries. I learnt a lot about medical conditions and how they affect the body. The workplace culture was that of team work, everyone always helping their colleagues. The hardest part of the job was declining medical cover to someone who so needed that help and the most enjoyable part of my job was always helping others.
Pros
Good team work
Cons
Declinging cover for medical conditions
during my time with Bupa, I was made to feel like a machine and didn't feel there was much of a work-life balance and although I'd met some lovely people the stress of the job was enough to make me want to move on
Pros
people, benefits, free gym
Cons
long hours, high stress
Great place to start of with. But at the end of the day, it is just a job, not a career. Management need to be more understanding and treat their staff like the adults they are, rather than school children.
Pros
Room for moving around internally
Cons
Management style
  1. Staines-upon-Thames