Busy Bees Nurseries

Busy Bees Nurseries Employee Reviews

United Kingdom812 reviews

beechildchildcarelovelyofstedbusyprogressioneyfs

Pros and cons

Pros:Nice setting in a lovely area.MAINLY, a lot friendlier than other nurseries I have worked in. Generally, staff are down to earth, helpful and kind.Children were lovely.Cons:One staff member I found difficult and rude which is why I left. Made me feel uncomfortable and upset. Some think because they are older that they know best and talk down to other staff members.Too much paperworkToo many kids and not enough staffVery long hours, often staying on way past finish time.High staff turnover

Buzzing place to work!

The second I saw the job advertised I knew I just had to apply for it! My own children attended Busy Bees Wellingborough 18 & 14 years ago and I had a great parent experience (and they had the 'best start' in their learning)! As part of my interview I was given a tour of the nursery, I was thrilled to discover many of the staffing team that cared for my own children were still here after all these years, their welcome and joy to see me and vice versa made me want the job even more! After a thorough 3 part interview process (phone screen/interview and 2 face-to-face interviews) I was offered the post. The organisation then conduct a detailed employment history, reference and DBS check....Fast forward 6months (to now), and I am living the dream! I feel like I have always been here. My team are brilliant, they are just great with the children-I saw this as a parent all those years ago and now I see it as their manager every day. My Area Director and Operations Director are very approachable and incredibly supportive and motiviating with my ideas/suggestions. My induction was thorough and the ongoing, regular support is still there from my area director, quality advisor and health and safety advisor. I never feel alone, there is always someone to ask questions or help. For me, it's the best. I'm so happy to be part of this organisation. Everyday I enjoy going to work (I know not many people can say that!). I feel totally blessed and grateful.

Insights into Busy Bees Nurseries

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Stressful and tiring work place

Good for young people to work their way up in the company, if you are career oriented, however you’ll need to fit in with the company and let things go over your head whilst working with young people, who may be lazy!!

Underpaid

Continually had problems with payroll and multiple issues within the nurseries running. i believe due to a clique that had formed with some staff and management, many issues would have been resolved had i fitted into that. workers are constantly overworked. for how expensive the childcare is the service is awful.No longer work there and I am still resolving issues.

Only care about the money they are receiving

Busybees as a company are the worst company I have ever worked for. They have no respect for the family life of their employees nor do they care about their mental/physical health. For what is expected of the staff they pay very little. They are constantly saying they need more level 3 staff and yet in the 7 years I was there I asked repeatedly to get signed up and it never happened. I was made to feel bad because my son was ill and I had to keep him off school an extra day (he is12 and I had no one else to have him). I would not recommend working for this company to my worst enemy.

Good place of work

Enjoyed my time working at busy bees (Westick hall farm). Management were focused and always tried too accommodate staff. Staff always had correct training.

Pros

Lunch break, annual leave allowance, training, room for development

Cons

Long hours, busy environment

Clicky like a school playground

The staff are very clicky, if your face doesn’t fit, there is no way to advance your career. We we’re often ran out of ratio, making jobs harder to complete and job satisfaction null and void.

Care more about paper work than actual child care

Staff work load is so stretched. Expected to do so much paperwork about what we are doing with children/planning/ implementation books/best start with buzz/development matters/Staff and children observations all whilst still in numbers so in the end you spend less time actually with the children apart from doing general care and feeling completely burnt out.Management don’t care about staff well being and expect staff to stay late past shifts and give a “if I say it you do it, whether you like it or not” attitude but will leave early themselves or not help out when needed.Busy bees just demand more and more from staff whilst upping childrens numbers and struggling with staff numbers to cope with demand.

Pros

Children and parents

Cons

Workload ridiculously high

Worst workplace ever

Ive worked in a variety of nurseries and child care professions and busy bees is by far the worst. Its in the top 5 most stressful places to work for according to employee surveys. Staff are gossipers and management have no idea what the word confidentiality means as they go spreading your private information around the nursery. Have no regard for mental health at all, only add to your stress and anxiety massively. Room managers take 2 hour long breaks instead of half an hour and leave you with all their children, which puts you out of ratio all the time.they Lie on accident forms to get them out of trouble. Pay is awful too, long hours and they’re always requiring overtime for free. Worst company ive ever worked for, leaving was the best thing ive ever done. Even spoke to workplace help professionals who said they couldn’t believe how ridiculous and horrible they are to work for. Avoid at all costs.

12 August 2022
Thank you for your feedback.We would love to hear more about your experience, please email us at: nurseryrecruitment@busybees.com (all your details will remain anonymous) so we can action this appropriately.

Amazing

I enjoy my job, I feel like I get supported while I’m doing my level three, it’s a lovley place to work. My child goes here and she loves coming, she has settled in so well.

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy your job and have feel that Busy Bees supports your learning towards your level 3 qualification. It's great to hear your child enjoys her time at Busy Bees and is getting the best start at life. Thank you for your continued hard work and dedication.

Highly rewarding career

I thoroughly enjoy my role as centre director and I am very proud of my nursery and team. We work hard on a daily basis to give our children a safe and secure environment to learn and develop. Every day is different and watching the children thrive in our nursery is so rewarding!

8 July 2022
Thank you for your review, we appreciate all of the feedback that we receive. We are delighted to hear that you are proud of yourself and your team. As Busy Bees strives to provide children with the best start in life, it is fantastic to hear you enjoy seeing the children thrive. Thank you for your continued hard work and dedication.

Not what it used to be…

Positives and negatives go hand in hand.It is a large company and you have a feeling of pride being a part of that but the job isn’t what it used to be, for example:It consists of very long hours and overtime is a necessity due to ongoing recruitment issues;Poor pay increases especially for long serving staff due to an inability to keep up with rises in national rates - e.g entry staff start on the same salary as a MOS with 20 years service;Staff feel overworked and undervalued but this is an issue across the sector;Company seems to have lost its original values - fixated on maintaining its title as the largest childcare provider and constantly buying new settings despite the supposed lack of money in other areas e.g investment in existing nurseries, staff salaries.Change of structure in recent years means some members of senior management have business experience but not childcare experience which has changed the ethos. Quantity over quality seems to be the current situation and children and parents don’t seem to be as considered or valued as they once were.

5 July 2022
Thankyou for your review, we appreciate all the feedback we receive. We're delighted to hear you feel pride in working for our company. We're aware of the current recruitment struggles that the whole of the Early Years sector is experiencing, you will pleased to know the recruitment team is working closely with the centre to help support this as best they can. We're launching some really exciting new projects and campaigns to help support this. Our salaries have recently been reviewed and they now better reflect the work our staff do. Please note all of our staff are employed with the correct experience and qualifications to effectively fulfill their role. At Busy Bees our children are at the epicentre of what we do, and our aim is to give them the best start in life. Thanks again for your feedback, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

nice relaxed environment productive and fun

really enjoyed it been there but the job unqualified/ qualified relief staff could do with been renamed to qualified relief staff because the unqualified dose not really stand a chance unless you are qualified.

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback.It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time at Busy Bees. Please note that all factors of experience and qualifications are taken into account when recruiting for relief roles. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

A nice place to work

I love working here and really enjoy learning new things. Although there have been a few not so good thing happen there has been improvements. Management need alot more support than they get and this is clear to see in how the nursery is run

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback.It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time working for Busy Bees and gained a valuable learning experience. As a company, we are continually making improvements to ensure all of our staff are well supported. We have many different things put in place to help our employees who are struggling, including; employee assistance programme, which can be used to anonymously speak up on any issues. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Hard work

You need to be prepared to work a lot of overtime you are given shifts but these always run over so your home/work life balance is very difficult also a lot of work is expected of you to do at home on their vla system. On a day to day basis you need to carry out planning for each of your key children and you need to input data into the “I-connect” tablet. Such as nappy changes sleeps and mealtimes. The days are long and you get a half hour break you are expected to get to work 15 minutes before your shift starts .

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback. The overtime is at the discretion of the employee and the contracted hours are agreed within the contract at the beginning of employment. Our VLA system is used to ensure up to date and correct training is given to employees to ensure our children get the best start in life. We are eternally grateful for your hard work and wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Great induction and training programme,I enjoy going to work.It's hard work as is any childcare setting but rewarding. I work with a great team.Company are very informative on changes to legislation policies etc.

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear that you are enjoying your time working Busy Bees and felt that your induction into the company was helpful. Team work is a really important part of working in early years and is great to hear you enjoy working in our team. Providing the best start to our children is at the forefront of our company, therefore it is great to here you felt the company was informative on any changes made.

Horrendous

It's all about the money and not about the staff. Staff are made to feel so small whilst the managers take all the praise. Managers don't want to know if you have an issue. You are told to go into other rooms to cover staff who leave earlier than you and you have to give feedback to parents who you don't know and don't know what the children have been up to as you never get proper feedback from the staff who you have covered for to go home.

8 July 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We would love to hear more about your experience, please email us at: nurseryrecruitment@busybees.com (all your details will remain anonymous) so we can action this appropriately.

Busy, a lot of activity choices for children

Not really sure what to say It was an experience best way to put it.Different ages groups to work with gives you a lot of experience.Very long hours .

30 June 2022
Thank you for your review, we appreciate all the feedback we receive. We're delighted to hear you feel you got ample experience to go forward in your childcare career! We're very grateful for your hard work. Please be assured hours are agreed upon employment and signed off in the contract. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Not a nice place

Not valued.Over worked. Always take more children for money and no extra staff. Redundancies often. Not listened to. Left out of ratio all the time. Friends get away with things.

Pros

Cons

Everything in this job

30 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to give us a review. Please be assured that giving our children the best start in life is at the epicentre of what we do! All staff members are treated equally. We would like to hear more about your experience (your details will be kept anonymous) so please can you email us with more info to nurseryrecruitment@busybees.com so we can action these allegations accordingly - We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Stressful

Before my DBS came through they would leave me alone with children. I was left alone a lot with too many kids, so it was out of ratio and this made the job very stressful.

20 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We take our ratios and safeguarding very seriously so we would really appreciate the opportunity to investigate this further. Could you kindly reach out to us at nurseryrecruitment@busybees.com and let us know which nursery this relates to. We can keep your details confidential. Many thanks.

Brilliant company

I have worked for Busy Bees for a number of years and have the best experience. I recently had to move and was not happy there was not a nursery close to me for me to transfer. Great management, really supportive to us all and wabts the best for every child. The hours were a bit long sometimes but generally you expect that in nurseries as you adhere to ratios but the most rewarding job.

20 June 2022
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We're sorry that you have to move away from your Busy Bees nursery, but please know that should your circumstances change in the future that we would love to have you back! Please keep our details to hand (nurseryrecruitment@busybees.com) and reach out to us should things change for you. Thank you :)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Busy Bees Nurseries. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement