Cadent Gas
Happiness score is 42 out of 100

Cadent Gas Employee Reviews

United Kingdom76 reviews

Would not reccomend

I can only comment on office work. Too many managers who do very little. There are often more managers than staff in departments.Managers almost never have your back over issues and often will hang you out to dry rather than support you.A number of staff have been with the company many years yet appear to have the least knowledge, do the least work and get paid the most.There is a real clique environment and everything depends on your face fitting.Staff are incredibly undervalued, overworked and unappreciated. Opinions are ignored and concerns overlooked.

Pros

Wage is OKAY.

Cons

All the above.

Lots of scope for progression

Great pay and benefits and there is always the option to progress and move around the business. Entry level jobs may feel high pressure, low reward, but they provide a foundation knowledge of the business and can lead to bigger things if you are motivated.

Insights into Cadent Gas

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

A lot of promises…

Company would be great, once your through the door they don’t stick to the agreed development plan, training lapses and all they care about is the OPEX challenge… they’re not interested in actually putting things right and the asset is a mess

Great culture and a brand new head office

I have been with Cadent around 6 months now. My time here has been very challenging in a positive way with lots of support around me and a management team open to trying new things and being advised on how we best improve things. The new head office is an incredible facility and the entire business is now working towards a really exciting future in hydrogen and how we can help protect our planet.

Avoid

Started here when they were National Grid and really enjoyed it and felt appreciated. Since Cadent have taken over it really gone downhill, poor management, dangerous practices and the new starters pay is awful.

Pros

Full sick pay. No supervision.

Cons

Everything else.

Get good job satisfaction

Cadent is changing, and not for the better, when I started here the management were all for the workers, over the last 2 years, this is changing, all we seem to be is just a number now, not stop at you to get the job you are on at the time, to get you to another 1, the basic pay you get on the Cadent G contract is terrible, as most team leaders on this contract are paid about 10 thousand pounds a year less than the workers on the old contract, they are now starting to track your every move aswell.

Flexibility and growth

I am so pleased working with Cadent. Always fair to employees. Flexibility with hours and working from home. Totally I highly recommend working with Cadent.

Good Manager, Ok pay

Really interesting job that will challenge you daily. Good teams who are willing to help you when you're struggling. Overall a good experience and place to work. Only downside is the pay is low, especially considering the unsociable hours you are required to do.

Do not work here

If you joined when it was national grid it was a job for life, I’d never advise any of my friends or family to work for these now. We have to work such long unsociable hours and there is a lot of responsibility on you. Yet the pay doesn’t reflect that, it’s about time those at the top realises how much the boots on the ground mean to them. Says a lot when nobody applies for a job in this day and age

Pros

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours, bad management

Not as great as you’d think

Shifts didn’t suit me, they may suit others, but switching between early and lates each week was hard. Never managed to secure holiday because of the amount of employees. And heaven forbid you take longer than 3 minutes to use to toilet.

Poor management and not enough training

Poor management.People are ok but the work itself no organisation,many managers involved and not enough training, you have to ask left and right.

Pros

Work from home -hybrid

Cons

Stressful and overload

Hard shifts for no reward

It’s long very unsociable shifts which aren’t recognised in the pay. Old contract of legacy from the national grid days work 3 hours less a week (3.7 weeks less a year) for more basic and a shift allowance of around £5000 which new Cadent G contract does not get. Poorly ran and poorly paid for hours, responsibility and shifts. Since being bought out by Cadent it’s become a very penny pinching micro managed company.

Pros

Job security due to being part of the infrastructure

Cons

Long unsociable hours not reflected in pay. New contract much worse than existing

Corrupt Management & Company

Extremely poor management. Unless your friends with the higher ups there are no routes for progression. A lot of family relationships within the company who favour relatives. The company is fully corrupt and progression is only awarded to those undeserving of it.

Pros

Cons

Poor Management

Enjoy my job

Worked for cadent since being moved over from national grid good all round company nothing much to shout about, do your work go home keep it simple, plenty of scope for overtime & climb the ladder in to middle management

Pros

Job & finish

Cons

Outside work

Sinking ship and it’s getting dangerous

Dangerous. Fatigue is getting worse. So many people leaving or being sacked no new staff starting meaning more work for no extra pay. In 2020 Contractors working long term here were told come over direct or you will lose your job. For a lot less pay more hours and more work. Now there so short of staff there paying for more contractors at higher wages while not looking after there own employees who are still here. Dangerous jobs are being left as not enough staff, teams stuck on jobs and forced to do overtime as they can’t send you a relief team to take over. The stress levels are going though the roof, HSE improvement order over fatigue and working hours has now made things worse not better. No home life balance. Low basic wages that you can’t even afford the benefits they offer you.

Pros

Pension, and most of the lads I work with.

Cons

Poor pay, Long hours, excessive travel, not appreciated, badly organised. Bad communication

Cadent for me was a grest place to work and progress if you are willing to go the extra mile you will be recognised. Its worth mentioning i worked for Network Strategy and not the main call centre and so i cant say what the call centres working conditions are.

Pros

Good progression

Cons

Not much time for extra training

Do not work here at all costs

The job is 42 Hrs a week basic hours the most in the Gas industry + call out, the staff here work 37 hours basic .You will be like a Zombie shift then on call followed by a twelve hour shift . They con the HSE that you are not working to get away with it, you are tied to your van unable to go to the shop or take the dog a walk for a pittance . Totally unsafe place to work . Some people there are on Minimum wage

Pros

you can leave

Cons

Long hours for little pay

Don’t work for this company

They take most of your life and pay you base rate money, ridiculous and greedy company which is more worried about looking good with customer satisfaction and leaving leaks for new work which then causes an issue with health and safety, there’s no support for workers which has seen them being given an improvement notice by the hse.

Pros

Good bunch of lads to work with

Cons

Long hours, terrible money

Bad beyond belief

If you like working shifts for no extra pay this is the place for you shifts can go on until 3am you can even work Boxing Day for no extra. You will not see your family and will be unable to buy a house or afford school trips for your kids as the pay is so bad.

Pros

Won’t see your wife

Cons

Your kids will hate you

Avoid at all costs

Avoid at all costs, hoped this to be my last move but left after 3.5yrs. Poor work life balance no support from management I’ve recently left without manager meeting me when van handed back and only got £700 when I left which won’t cover bills. Call out is a nightmare you can never get shifts swapped and lads on older contracts do less hours for £10k a year more

Pros

Don’t do a lot

Cons

Poor pay, poor management, can’t book time off, can’t swap shifts, union reps useless, everything basically

Avoid at all cost

Company has gone down the drain nothing like national grid, all the company care about is money. Bulling culture from managers. Poor salary for the work you do. Long hours, stripped from all the benefits. Under valued. Avoid at all cost. Hierarchy compared the job we do on the same level as working at a coffee store. Honestly this job will drain the life out of you. Have to work hours of overtime to earn a living wage. Very poor company.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, No incentive under valued

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cadent Gas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement