Calcot Services for Children
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Calcot Services for Children Employee Reviews

United Kingdom104 reviews

calcotyoungbrillianttherapeuticchildprogressionrolesupport

A welcoming team with lots to give

From day one I felt welcomed into the team. No question was too much. They made sure I had all the tools and knowledge to do my job and if they did not have it they found a way of getting it. Very happy in my job right now and the future looks full of opportunities.

Challenging

Worked here for under three years and it was very hard and challenging all the time. Paid unfairly, low salary and your expected to travel to all homes within the company. Staff turnover is very high and everyday thing within this company.

Pros

Children, experience

Cons

Long hours, Hr, management and

Insights into Calcot Services for Children

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Disorganised and concerning

Being thrown in the deep end without sufficient shadowing, induction, training or supervision. Being expected to know what you are doing even as a new employee stating they have no prior experience. Directly working lone with young people before introductory training has taken place, then bombarded with weekly mandatory training, required attendance even on days off.Lack of consistency within team members in homes causing confusion and distress to children in knowing their boundaries, and affecting the working dynamics of care provisions for children that require consistency, routine and structure as part of their care plan.Being paid minimum wage but having a workload just as heavy as social workers at times.Concerns with safety issues of house cars being ignored, forms being falsly filled out because staff cannot be bothered to do the required checks as they feel burnt out.Extreme lack of staffing availability.Failure to maintain supervision of trainee employees.Lack of care and understanding from management teams. But you do get to eat with the children (food in the home included so you don't have to take lunch/dinner to work).

9 November 2022
Thank you for your comments.As a company we strive to improve, learn and take feedback very seriously. I would ask, should you wish, to make contact with our HR team so that we talk through this feedback.

A difficult job with limited support.

The mgnt were supportive in professional development + learning new skills to support the children. From my experience, reporting procedures were good and clear. Any incidents were always reported to the correct people. When there were incidents, senior mgrs would come out + support us. We would do 15 hr days which I really liked as it was 160 hrs per month working. It meant we would only do about 2 or 3 days work a week. All meals, drinks, snacks were provided on shift.Salary was low for the stress + nature of the work. Often expected to do 15 hr shift, followed by sleep-in then another 15 hr shift. No adjustments if we had to support night staff + tired the next day - still expected to be up for 7am start. New children were often placed into the home without consideration of how this might effect the dynamics of the home, causing long term disruption + stress to everyone.There is a high staff turnover throughout the company, leaving the staff team inexperienced + often relying on agency staff. I was regularly asked to work in other homes which also doesn't help with continuity of care and doesn't help you build relshps with the children in your base home. When there is serious challenging behaviour, the company policy is staff are not to phone police in an emergency without getting permission first from an on-call manager. Often led to staff being assaulted + property + cars damaged.The company also applies the Bradford factor to your sick days which I think is really unfair + if you leave the company within a year they deduct training costs from your final month's salary. -

Some managers are great but company isn’t

It’s a shame some of the team at head office and some of the managers here don’t care about the children or the staff. For the most part the carers are all fantastic and really truly care about the job they are doing and how important it is. Some managers put members of staff on shift that increase the risk of negative behaviour and this never gets considered which can make carers feel at risk from violent young people. The environment in the houses is amazing though, but it’s a shame how often you get sent to cover at other locations as it means you don’t get to build a strong bond with the child anywhere because you’re constantly in and out

Awful management

It really does depend what house your based at with this company, as there are some amazing caring managers/ support workers who really do go above and beyond.Although unfortunately on the other hand you have other managers that leave as soon as things kick off! Upper management are useless and fob you of when express feeling overworked and overwhelmed.Also use support staff to spy on unpopular home managers.Really is all about the money would often have yp that needed extra care and support which just wasn't always given with staff often of sick with stress.Would be expected to stay on working OTAlways understaffed.

Pros

The Yp

Cons

Understaffed high staff turn over

8 July 2022
Thank you for your comments. As a company we strive to improve, learn and take feedback very seriously. I would ask, should you wish, to make contact with our HR team so that we talk through this feedback.

Amazing company.

I feel supportive with this company. Everyone is so good at their rokes and work really well as a team. Always someone to talk to if you have any problems. Amazing work/life balance and undererstand if you are busy with plans and doesn't forcus you or pressure you to do things you don't want to do. Hours are good and the pay is brilliant.

Pros

Amazing team. Very supportive. Training is great. Pay is good and hours are brilliant

Cons

Can't think of anything

Really making a difference

From start to finish I felt I was given more than enough training to support the team and children. They have a head office where you do in house training and can call for help. All the managers have been there a good amount of time and although the job can be challenging at times I always knew I could speak to somone who has done the same thing. Really enjoyed working with the children and helping them develop and grow.

Terrible place to work

Run a thousand miles in the other direction if you see this job advert and if your working there i feel sorry for you. Under paid, under cared for as a worker managers prioritise favorites for promotion.. Horroble pay for fighting fires all day.

Pros

None, end of shift.

Cons

Horrible hours, horrible managers, no money, no life!

13 December 2021
Thank you for your comments and feedback.CSFC firmly believes in inducting, supporting, training and progression and would like to know more about your time with us. Please could you call HR on 01189 952190 to discuss further.RegardsCSfC

Poor

No support, left in difficult situations with insufficient training, poor work induced mental health and well-being of staff was definitely not at a priority.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No support at times

Jekyll and Hyde company

This is very much a Jekyll and Hyde company as it depends on where you work for your experience within the company. The home I was working in was shocking, clueless management that are rarely in the home and some senior support staff that have major ego trips. That being said I worked in a number of different homes where the situation was the opposite, great management that will always come and support and senior support staff that work hard and have the respect of their peers. The senior management team for the most part are supportive. I was unlucky with the home I ended up working in as I was never supported, the rotas always had errors that were not picked up before being printed causing more issues. This was mainly because they were rushed as they were never out before the Thursday.

Pros

Depends on where you work

Awful place to work

This has to be to the most disorganised, untrustworthy place I’ve worked. Always felt like I was undermined and not supported by my team. Good luck to anyone wanting to join this organisation.

Meaningful and rewarding

CSFC was a caring company whose main focus was on the children. They safe guarded the children, supporting education, independence and well being.The shift work was hard but the company was accommodating when needed. we had excellent training which was always updated.The people that I worked with were fantastic, they were all friendly, caring and supportive.

Pros

Dealing with children in need

Cons

Unsociable hours

Feeling a part of something great!

Since working for Calcot Services for Children, I have already progressed quickly to a new role as HR Assistant, something that I was really keen to pursue after completing my CIPD level 5. The team here are lots of fun, no two days are the same and it’s great to see that everyone really puts the children and young people at the heart of everything they do.

Pros

Variation of work and busy role

Great Company to work for

As a growing organisation, it’s really nice to see we are able to offer children and young people the care they need. I’ve been part of one of our newest homes opening, it’s been a great experience and really hands on which I absolutely love. I am excited to see where my career takes me.

Pros

Training and Development

My work family

A great work family, upon starting I received a warm welcome with flowers delivered a few days into me starting – a lovely touch! I’ve been here a year already and have learnt so much. I really enjoy each day being different, I never get bored and there is always something to do.

Pros

Work environment, being busy

I’ve been with Calcot Service for children for 3 years now, progressing from a Therapeutic Care Worker to Team Leader and have really enjoyed my time working here, the people have been very supportive in my role. Nothing is ever too much trouble and making a different to our young people is so rewarding – thank you CSFC!

Pros

Progression

Not supportive

No support from management, even during challenging situations.Thrown into the deep end with barely any support.There is no proper system when there needs to be one.

Pros

Nice it is home based

Cons

Long unsociable hours, barely any support

8 February 2021
Thank you for your comments. It’s quite difficult to understand your concerns without further investigation so please call HR on 01189 952190 to discuss further. Regards CSfC

Great support team and lovely pupils

I started work here in March 2020. I have enjoyed my experience here so far and hope to have many more years with this great team. HR answer any question I ask within an hour and my manager is lovely, supportive and kind. We can't forget the pupils that put a smile on your face and hold the school spirits together. I have fun, learn how to complete tasks and everyone is helpful daily.

Pros

Great management team 👏

Always something to do

I am a night person so this shift has really suited me and my personal circumstances. The role is very varied and can also be challenging which is what makes me love doing my job.

Pros

Being challenged

7 February 2021
Hi,Thank you for your review and making a difference in our young people's lives. This is much appreciated and we adore hearing about your positive experiences whilst working for us. We are proud of what we do and its great to hear you have been apart of this journey.Many thanks to you

Great career prospects

I joined CSfC as a Team Leader and am now a Deputy Manager on a great Salary. This transition happened quickly as I proved I was more than capable in my role as Team Leader which was acknowledged by my Manager

Pros

Career progression and management support

7 February 2021

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calcot Services for Children. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement