Calderdale Council

Calderdale Council Employee Reviews

Nothing else to say the time I was there was great until we got dispanded I thought the job was for life but it stopped doing what I signed up to do so that's why I got out...
Pros
You get about all over doin various tasks meeting different people
Cons
Not paid enough for what you do
I worked in the locality and hospital team. I left due to a real anxiety that poor practice was so dominant, that my registration was at risk as a result. They are constantly changing criteria and strategy, but there is a lack of practical understanding and communication by senior managers. When difficulties were raised by staff, there was a tendency to dismiss rather than deal with that issue. They simply did not include or listen to frontline staff enough. They were some real problems with APs and a lack of experience. I was instructed to remove details from supervision notes regarding agreed guidance. I found this distressing and frightening. It was a target driven workplace culture, often overlooking the needs of the service user as a result.Staff turnover is very high in the hospital and most other teams. I felt they did treat workers as easily replaceable. They are short on experienced social workers as a result. High staff sickness. Discussions about working weekends and longer hours when I left.Pay is not competitive, one of lowest in the region. There is a new manager and they are trying to improve things. My time in locality was positive as I had an experienced manager.They have a pathway for progression up to level 3 social worker. You can move up to level 3 after doing PE 1, I found PE enjoyable. There is no route past level 3 including management and amhp, this is also why I left.
5 March 2021
Your feedback is important to us and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share this with us. We have taken on board your comments and we will investigate this further with the service.If you would like to discuss your experience in more details, we would appreciate it and urge you to reach out to us at recruitment@calderdale.gov.uk
Worked here for a considerable amount of time. In the beginning great place to work... now if your face fits your ok if not avoid at all costs. Everyone only looks after themselves. Senior management very poor and no empathy, or care about employees. Limited to no support by senior leaders. Started as a great organisation now going downhill fast on a slippery slope. Too much empathsis on HR and hiding behind them. Senior management should make decisions that their paid for not hide behind HR. Full of promises that never arrive and limited to no recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Work life balance is good
Cons
Senior management and salary.
5 March 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We have taken on board your comments and we will investigate this further. We take all the feedback we receive seriously.If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, we would appreciate it and urge you to reach out to us at recruitment@calderdale.gov.uk
Turnovers is very high within the workforce; retention does not factor in any policy. Most days there is one AMHP on duty with no backup, this is isolating and stressful. The workforce was tired, and moral was low. The pay is uncompetitive and embarrassing (including agency rate), given AMHP rate’s for adjacent services. It appears pay has been a longstanding issue for the fulltime workforce, with no progresses being made despite the high turnover of staff. There is hardly any appreciation by directors, of just how challenging and complex the AMHP role is.There are continuous strategies and restructure, with no tangible improvement. There is no clear directive or support from senior management. Con: Very poor pay. This council is a toxic work environment. There is nastiness among some managers, led by some directors. This is well acknowledged within the workforce. The amhps / social workers who are left are hardworking and dedicated. Pros: The amhps / social workers who are left are hardworking and dedicated.
6 January 2021
I am enjoying my time with Calderdale Council. There is a great working environment and a good organisation culture at the moment. I feel that Calderdale are way ahead of other local authorities and are always driving change.
Pros
Employee Benefits, Flexible Working, digital forward
6 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying your time with Calderdale Council. Our dedicated staff have risen to the challenge with their talent, kindness and resilience to achieve our Vision2024 for Calderdale.
Whilst working for calderdale council I enjoyed it very much, was met with challenges which was good, kept you on your toes, enjoyed all the school holidays (who doesn't) I miss those and I got to meet some fantastic teachers/staff and watched lots of children start, work their way through and then leave the school
19 May 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate you taking your time to review us and we will ensure this review is passed to the school.
A tight click of people who have been in Council 25 yrs waiting for pensions. Asian unfriendly organisation . Just to make up the numbers . If your face dont fit your out.
9 July 2020
Thank you for providing feedback. We are committed to ensuring every employee is treated equally and part of a supportive working environment. We take all the feedback we receive seriously. We will ensure this is looked into further.
I enjoy working at Calderdale Council, it is a productive and rewarding place to work. I have had the opportunity to work up within my team and have been given more responsibilities.
Pros
Flexible Working if applicable
19 May 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback about working for Calderdale Council and we are pleased to hear you enjoy your role. We really appreciate you taking your time to review us.
It's a very serious role that I undertake, but the management are very supportive. The role has considerable responsibility, but training is good to support this. Great satisfaction in the role
9 July 2020
Thank you for your feedback.We are glad you are enjoying your time with Calderdale Council.
Management is really bad , they are not professional, they do not do anything just sit and on the personal phone all the time. when you need any, they do not help. it is not best place to work.
The job role is excellent and you get a lot of job satifaction. The role is very challenging but also very rewardable. I have been working in this type of work for near on 20 years and i want to stay within the working with young people and delivering informal education to gain accreditations and positive outcomes.
7 January 2021
Thanks for your feedback. We're pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. Thanks for all your hard work.
Stressful, under resourced and unsupported. Local government cuts and a reduction in staff has resulted in health care services being stretched to dangerous levels.
Positive working atmosphere with continuous support and collaboration from colleagues. Opportunities for advancement and training Students and their families are put at the heart of what is done
7 January 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we're pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with Calderdale Council. We're a firm believer that our people make the difference and help make Calderdale a great place to work. We wish you all the best for the future.
Calderdale are a good authority to work for, there is advice and support for you if need be. Management are supportive and team work focus on a strength focus point of action.
19 January 2021
Thank you for your positive feedback and i hope you continue to enjoy your time with us.
Calderdale Council sells itself on being about kindness.That is a great aspiration, but I would rather they got the basics right. When I worked there, I did the same job on a casual basis for 5 years, with no job security. I then had short term contacts, which were extended without the notice period or information on redunancy that is required. HR made a mistake with my wages, so I only got paid the living wage allowance for a week between two roles and mistakenly deleted an acceptance of interview, so the panel were not there when I arrived. When I left, I also discovered I had 4 pension records. People were very damaged by insecurity around future local authority funding and having been with the organisation for a long time. I did not feel valued and was belittled by managers when I raised concerns. I learned that if a work situation is bad and it is not getting better, leave. Even very senior managers seemed unable to make changes to the culture in the time I was there. I am unlikely to work for a local authority again following this experience: the wages and conditions are better elsewhere. The saddest thing was that there were truly excellent staff within the organisation, with great emotional intelligence who were a pleasure to work with. Seeing a number of them sidelined and increasingly overworked and unappreciated was one of the key factors in my decision to leave. I had the opportunity to work on some great projects towards the end of my employment, but all the experience and skill I built up on these went elsewhere when there was no role for me to move - more...
The job I did was very enjoyable and was usually quite eventful, doing things such as assisting with creating websites, managing and correcting issues and other general web development things.
Very happy in current role. Staff and management are a joy to work with. Very organised and competent. Only gets 4 stars due to the lack of hours at times.
I worked for Calderdale Council for several years and enjoyed my position. I had nice colleagues, management and was able to work flexibly due to childcare.
Pros
Flexible working, supportive management
6 January 2021
Thank you for your positive feedback. We offer flexible working hours and patterns to enable our staff to efficiently manage their work life balance so we are happy this helped your experience.
good place to work, management are flexible with workers who have children.
Managers Micro Manage More Managers to staff Ratio Staff turnover high High Staff sickness Rota is unworkable / weekend working. High demand Constantly changing daily criteria and demands to meet the needs of the service rather than that of the service user. Very competitive work force between teams to gain management approval. Target driven Fast paced at times or no work at all.
Pros
getting home on time
Cons
No consistency.
If you are successful for the Occupational Health Manager post - you will be working for a line manager who is unqualified for their post (no advanced education or professional qualifications, poorly trained, out of date and has never worked anywhere else in more than 30 yes. The last 2 occupational health managers were very unwell when they left. You will be asked to bend and stretch the rules to save the budget and pension scheme. The as talks about the place having innate kindness which is absolutely not my experience - sooo dishonest!
Pros
can't think of a worthwhile thing to say
Cons
Extremely disingenuous managers - mind how you go - apply caution for health sake
  1. Employee reviews